The Student Room Group

Can’t get a job anywhere?

Anyone who’s got a job recently where did you get it? I’ve applied for so many jobs like almost 30 and i’ve got like 5 rejections and the rest haven’t even replied. Where can i get a job that’ll hire me immediately idm working in a warehouse or whatever. Just anywhere that pays decently. I can’t go anywhere that needs a DBS though bc i don’t have any photo ID. I’m 18 btw and i live in leicester.

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a similar position

Just finished the sixth form (deciding whether to go to uni or not) and nowhere will accept me. I don't have particularly high expectations either, minimum wage will do me (as long as it's not McDonald's).

The annoying thing is that most jobs expect (even without asking) experience, something which clearly we have none of. My question is how do I get experience if everyone is asking for it xD?

Anyways goodluck, I'm up to 15 jobs so far
Reply 2
Original post by mxx454
Anyone who’s got a job recently where did you get it? I’ve applied for so many jobs like almost 30 and i’ve got like 5 rejections and the rest haven’t even replied. Where can i get a job that’ll hire me immediately idm working in a warehouse or whatever. Just anywhere that pays decently. I can’t go anywhere that needs a DBS though bc i don’t have any photo ID. I’m 18 btw and i live in leicester.

Drop me a message I may be able to help!
Reply 3
Original post by Jonathanツ

Just finished the sixth form (deciding whether to go to uni or not) and nowhere will accept me. I don't have particularly high expectations either, minimum wage will do me (as long as it's not McDonald's).

The annoying thing is that most jobs expect (even without asking) experience, something which clearly we have none of. My question is how do I get experience if everyone is asking for it xD?

Drop me a message I may be able to help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mxx454

Are you looking for your first permanent job after leaving school/college or something you can do part-time while carrying on studying?
Reply 5

What's wrong with working for McDonalds?
Original post by mxx454

Are you after full time work or part time?
Try McDonald's, as they take on a lot of people without experience. A lot of shops, supermarkets, fast food places etc are taking on at the moment. A lot of hospitality type places are taking on as well.
Warehouse wise- if you able to travel outside of Leicester I know where there may be warehouse Jobs going.
(edited 2 years ago)

What's wrong with working at McDonald's?
I worked there for 9 years. I never found much wrong with the place. It's better than people think.
Original post by Emma:-)
What's wrong with working at McDonald's?
I worked there for 9 years. I never found much wrong with the place. It's better than people think.

Not McDonald's in general, Just the one close to me, some of my old bullies work there, and plus the salary at that one is literally minimum wage for under 18-year-olds and I think that's pretty disrespectful considering how challenging the job looks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Not McDonald's in general, Just the one close to me, some of my old bullies work there, and plus the salary at that one is literally minimum wage for under 18-year-olds and I think that's pretty disrespectful considering how challenging the job looks.

Most McDonald's, even company owned ones are above minimum wage (franchises sometimes pay slightly more).
At one point I was getting paid more an hour at McDonald's than I was at the children's nursery I also worked at. Bearing in mind working at a children's nursery is more responsibility as you are looking after people's children.
Original post by Emma:-)
Most McDonald's, even company owned ones are above minimum wage (franchises sometimes pay slightly more).
At one point I was getting paid more an hour at McDonald's than I was at the children's nursery I also worked at. Bearing in mind working at a children's nursery is more responsibility as you are looking after people's children.

I might consider applying to McDonald's now after all. Thank you.
I’m in the same situation. I literally can’t find any and I need money for uni cause my student finance barely covers my rent :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Kerzen
Are you looking for your first permanent job after leaving school/college or something you can do part-time while carrying on studying?

A full time job for the summer
Reply 13
Original post by Oatmilkidk
I’m in the same situation. I literally can’t find any and I need money for uni cause my student finance barely covers my rent :frown:

I applied for an amazon warehouse job and i have an appointment with them tomorrow maybe try that? If there’s a warehouse near you.
Reply 14
Original post by mxx454
A full time job for the summer

https://butlinscareers.co.uk/
Original post by mxx454
I applied for an amazon warehouse job and i have an appointment with them tomorrow maybe try that? If there’s a warehouse near you.

hey if youve done your inteview already how did it go.
what questions did they ask and how long was it.
also did they ask the questions via phone call or video call
mines tomorrow and I'm kinda nervous since its my first job interview.
Reply 16
Original post by vanillamochi

Hi, did u do yours?
How was it?
Reply 17
Original post by vanillamochi

I applied with an agency and they didn’t ask me any interview questions. It was just if i wanted a day shift or a night shift and that’s pretty much it. How did you find it?
I’ve seen lots of jobs being advertised for summer activity places that have just opened after coming out of lockdown. Places like theme parks, lake activity centres etc. Have you got any near you?? I have received 2 job offers in the last months from those type of places
Reply 19
Original post by Bethparkerr
I’ve seen lots of jobs being advertised for summer activity places that have just opened after coming out of lockdown. Places like theme parks, lake activity centres etc. Have you got any near you?? I have received 2 job offers in the last months from those type of places

I live in leicester so i’m not sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending