The Student Room Group

What did school kids do before GCSE’s existed?

Was it another exam or what?

Scroll to see replies

O Levels
I believe it was similar to gcses but they were called O levels and they were introduced in 1955 and replaced by gcses in 1988
Boys_with_hoops_on_Chesnut_Street.jpg

Played with those things mostly
And O/A levels if we were smart enough - a rare, experimental exam, but I have one.
Original post by Vetofferholder1
I believe it was similar to gcses but they were called O levels and they were introduced in 1955 and replaced by gcses in 1988

Thank youu. Where they easier?
Original post by McGinger
And O/A levels if we were smart enough - a rare, experimental exam, but I have one.

We? how old are you-
So like higher GCSEs and foundation GCSEs
Read here

It says that there were both CSE and O levels but CSE was for the lower ability students..

GCSE got introduced in 1988 with the last O level/CSE examination in 1987
O levels are believed to have been harder - no course work, MCQs was rare, and most people did 8 or 9 subjects. We spent most of June in an exam hall. See https://www.mirror.co.uk/interactives/were-o-levels-actually-harder-12759560
Original post by McGinger

Me too :smile:
Original post by idonthavealife05
So like higher GCSEs and foundation GCSEs

Much more people took CSEs than foundation GCSEs I think. I think less than half took O-levels. But it's a similar idea.

I get the impression they were a bit easier but then gcses were easier 10 years ago than they are now as they were made harder to bridge the gap to A level!
Many less developed countries still do O levels.
Original post by Vetofferholder1
I get the impression they were a bit easier but then gcses were easier 10 years ago than they are now as they were made harder to bridge the gap to A level!

They were much harder. There was little to no coursework, there were no multiple choice answers and assessment was nearly all done by essay in two sit down exams. Past papers were hard to come by and usually just available to the school to give mocks and there was no marking scheme, so no mechanism to judge what marks you'd get for each answer.
Original post by threeportdrift
They were much harder. There was little to no coursework, there were no multiple choice answers and assessment was nearly all done by essay in two sit down exams. Past papers were hard to come by and usually just available to the school to give mocks and there was no marking scheme, so no mechanism to judge what marks you'd get for each answer.

There’s no coursework now for 95% of subjects.. and where did you get the impression that there’s multiple choice questions in gcses now? I did 12 gcses (29exams) and not a single one had a multiple choice question and one had coursework that was worth 15% the rest were sit down exams (2 or 3 per subject) 🤣 I was also the new spec so forget past papers being hard to come by, they literally didnt exist for the exams I did. You’ve literally summed up today’s gcses so how were they much harder?
The content may or may not have been harder back in the O level days but you were at the mercy of what the school provided - no internet, no access to past papers (even for a previous spec), no exam spec, no revision guide books to buy from Amazon (no Amazon), no one to ask except equally confuddled class mates, no YouTube videos. I ended up going to an evening class to help with one of my A levels as it was being taught so badly in school - the majority of my class was there.
O-Levels were supposedly harder but it's difficult to say for sure when the last O-Level was set about a decade before most households got dial up internet! Times change, content changes. There certainly wasn't any noticeable increase in difficulty for students progressing on to A-Levels after 1987.
the ones from decent families went to University and became Clergymen and that. the others provided useful services to their communities

https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/41142/1-1/kids-chimney-sweep-costume.jpg

A far smaller percentage of 16 year olds passed them -only about 25% of school leavers achieved the equivalent of at least 5 grade Cs https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/written-answers/1984/dec/20/school-leavers-examination-statistics, compared to about 60% achieving this, including English and Maths, in the 2010s so I think it's fair to say they were harder.

Quick Reply

Latest