The Student Room Group

a-levels for medicine

im starting sixth form next year and i've decided to do biology, chemistry and psychology.

my school also offers the level 3 core maths and i was wondering if it's a good idea to take it? i've heard that unis may reduce their offers if it's taken but i don't know if this is true. i'm not the best at maths but i can get good grades if i work hard enough, i don't really want to take maths a-level because it will mean dropping psychology which is the subject im most looking forward to so i thought it would be better to take the level 3 core maths. will taking the level 3 core maths give me a boost for uni in terms of medicine?
(edited 2 years ago)
Biology, chemistry and psychology is a good combination for medicine. For the core maths part I'm not sure about it but you should be fine without it if you have a 6/7 at GCSE. Don't take core maths if it means giving up psychology as all medical schools ask for 3 a levels.
I just checked and core maths is only worth as an AS level so I wouldn't recommend taking it if you have good GCSE grades. As for reduced offers some universities such as Sheffield reduces your offer to AAB if you do an EPQ but I've never heard of a reduced offer for medicine with core maths.
Reply 3
Original post by hungrysalamander
Biology, chemistry and psychology is a good combination for medicine. For the core maths part I'm not sure about it but you should be fine without it if you have a 6/7 at GCSE. Don't take core maths if it means giving up psychology as all medical schools ask for 3 a levels.

thanks (: im expecting a grade 7 in maths for gcse. for the level 3 core maths i was talking about taking it alongside my 3 a levels
Original post by fxrheenn
thanks (: im expecting a grade 7 in maths for gcse. for the level 3 core maths i was talking about taking it alongside my 3 a levels

leave it
those 3 a levels are ridiculously difficult as it is without unnecessary extras
and you will likely need some extra curricular / volunteering as well so i would concentrate on those rather than core maths
Original post by fxrheenn
im starting sixth form next year and i've decided to do biology, chemistry and psychology.

my school also offers the level 3 core maths and i was wondering if it's a good idea to take it? i've heard that unis may reduce their offers if it's taken but i don't know if this is true. i'm not the best at maths but i can get good grades if i work hard enough, i don't really want to take maths a-level because it will mean dropping psychology which is the subject im most looking forward to so i thought it would be better to take the level 3 core maths. will taking the level 3 core maths give me a boost for uni in terms of medicine?

Hey :smile:

Most Universities only require Chemistry and Biology for Medicine, unless you have seen it on any specific Uni websites, I wouldn't worry too much! I know some people who picked these combinations to go onto study medicine and got offers from their med schools :smile:
I do Psychology at Uni and I love it- and it seems as though you are really interested in it too, and I think it is so important to study subjects that you enjoy as it makes it so much easier!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep :smile:
Reply 6
hey, I study core maths alongside my other 3 A levels biology, chemistry and sociology hopefully for medicine 2022! I don’t think for medicine they would lower the entry, they may but because it’s so competitive. If you want to id say take it, it’s only a AS so not as much work and some things we learn are really helpful and can be applied in bio for example, it’s definitely helped me with bio!!
Reply 7
thank you! this helps alot :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey :smile:

Most Universities only require Chemistry and Biology for Medicine, unless you have seen it on any specific Uni websites, I wouldn't worry too much! I know some people who picked these combinations to go onto study medicine and got offers from their med schools :smile:
I do Psychology at Uni and I love it- and it seems as though you are really interested in it too, and I think it is so important to study subjects that you enjoy as it makes it so much easier!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep :smile:
There is a big section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending