The Student Room Group

Anyone else regretting university life?

I like my course, but since first year I have had so much bad luck that I wonder whether it is even worth it. Signed up in 2019, went straight in the middle of a pandemic, had student finance coming in late, an accident, heartbreak and I am just so drained.

Is it bad that I just want to get my undergraduate degree over and done with so I can move onto the next chapter and do a masters?

Scroll to see replies

no its not bad, but its important you find some source of motivation or interest for the final year (or more). if you don't, you'll regret it because you're paying a lot for something, and it can't just be about the next thing otherwise you'll spend too long looking at greener pastures and miss life flying by - its several years apart from anything

i didn't love my course either, i changed a lot as a person and for a while i just felt slightly uncomfortable. not what you're experiencing, but something that makes it feel not worthwhile nonetheless. after a while, i came to realise the opportunity university gives you - freedom, learning, growing up - and enjoy that, even if the work was a pain in the ass or whatever else
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
no its not bad, but its important you find some source of motivation or interest for the final year (or more). if you don't, you'll regret it because you're paying a lot for something, and it can't just be about the next thing otherwise you'll spend too long looking at greener pastures and miss life flying by - its several years apart from anything

i didn't love my course either, i changed a lot as a person and for a while i just felt slightly uncomfortable. not what you're experiencing, but something that makes it feel not worthwhile nonetheless. after a while, i came to realise the opportunity university gives you - freedom, learning, growing up - and enjoy that, even if the work was a pain in the ass or whatever else

Yeah, I know that I have grown so much during university but to be honest if I went a different time, I might have gotten different experiences. Still though, I don't regret choosing the city I am studying in. The guy I was interested in said he was too busy for a serious relationship, while I respect that I might as well look outside of the city for a masters because I don't want to hold onto the hope that he will change his mind.
I regret going to university in the first place
Don't remind me, please.
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I regret going to university in the first place

Yeah, it's not worth the money but sometimes the memories can be worth it. It depends who you are friends with.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, it's not worth the money but sometimes the memories can be worth it. It depends who you are friends with.

No the memories are not worth it. Your friends don’t justify the £27000 of debt that you’ll inevitably never pay off
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
No the memories are not worth it. Your friends don’t justify the £27000 of debt that you’ll inevitably never pay off

Well realistically, what can I do about it? I will graduate with a degree, and start over with a different degree at master's level. It's not too late to start over and just be grateful. No point saying to myself that I should continue to regret university, I understand the debt is not worth the experience.
Well realistically, what can I do about it? I will graduate with a degree, and start over with a different degree at master's level. It's not too late to start over and just be grateful. No point saying to myself that I should continue to regret university, I understand the debt is not worth the experience.

You could drop out and get an apprenticeship or an entry level job? I know you shouldn’t drop out in second year but no ones saying that you can’t.
I like my course, but since first year I have had so much bad luck that I wonder whether it is even worth it. Signed up in 2019, went straight in the middle of a pandemic, had student finance coming in late, an accident, heartbreak and I am just so drained.

Is it bad that I just want to get my undergraduate degree over and done with so I can move onto the next chapter and do a masters?

Can’t help the pandemic. We are used to it now though so you can box that away. Your SF came in late.... but you have it now? Box that off too. An accident (which I hope you have now overcome?) Box that off too as you can’t change it. Sorry to hear about the guy. Only you, in time, will manage how you feel about this (box him off though as he’s had his chance). It’s all about you now!

The one HUGE thing about all of this is that despite all the above that has been sent your way to test you...... you’re still hanging in there 💪👊💥 Tells me you’re pretty damn resilient! 👍 You can’t really disagree because you have stuck with your degree/course despite all the stuff that has happened. I‘m on your side btw not having a go.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to get a degree over with. They engulf your whole life. They’re supposed to create stress/pressure but it’s only for 3 years. I completed mine 3 years ago and told family members to commit me to a psychiatric unit if I ever contemplated doing a degree again...... going back in September 😂😂

Jumping onto a MSc isn’t going to change how you feel about SF coming late, the pandemic, your accident or this guy. Even more stress with an MSc!!

Some acceptance around these areas will help you manage and hopefully move forward with great magnificent strides where you achieve exactly what you’re meant to!!!

PS even if this hasn’t motivated you but put the tiniest of smiles on your face, that is all that counts 👍 Never give up. You got this! 😊
You could drop out and get an apprenticeship or an entry level job? I know you shouldn’t drop out in second year but no ones saying that you can’t.

Why encourage me to drop out when I'm almost complete with my degree? Logic 101
Can’t help the pandemic. We are used to it now though so you can box that away. Your SF came in late.... but you have it now? Box that off too. An accident (which I hope you have now overcome?) Box that off too as you can’t change it. Sorry to hear about the guy. Only you, in time, will manage how you feel about this (box him off though as he’s had his chance). It’s all about you now!

The one HUGE thing about all of this is that despite all the above that has been sent your way to test you...... you’re still hanging in there 💪👊💥 Tells me you’re pretty damn resilient! 👍 You can’t really disagree because you have stuck with your degree/course despite all the stuff that has happened. I‘m on your side btw not having a go.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to get a degree over with. They engulf your whole life. They’re supposed to create stress/pressure but it’s only for 3 years. I completed mine 3 years ago and told family members to commit me to a psychiatric unit if I ever contemplated doing a degree again...... going back in September 😂😂

Jumping onto a MSc isn’t going to change how you feel about SF coming late, the pandemic, your accident or this guy. Even more stress with an MSc!!

Some acceptance around these areas will help you manage and hopefully move forward with great magnificent strides where you achieve exactly what you’re meant to!!!

PS even if this hasn’t motivated you but put the tiniest of smiles on your face, that is all that counts 👍 Never give up. You got this! 😊

This is the most helpful advice on the thread, thank you!

By the way I'm on track for a 2.1, so your statement is pointless
This is the most helpful advice on the thread, thank you!

Did it make you smile though?? 😊 You’re more than welcome.

I see you’re also on track for a 2:1 👌 All these obstacles you’ve had to get over and manage and you’re on track for a 2:1 🥳 Evidence right there that says you’ll be more than ok!
Did it make you smile though?? 😊 You’re more than welcome.

I see you’re also on track for a 2:1 👌 All these obstacles you’ve had to get over and manage and you’re on track for a 2:1 🥳 Evidence right there that says you’ll be more than ok!

Your comment made my day! :smile:
Your comment made my day! :smile:

👍😉
Why encourage me to drop out when I'm almost complete with my degree? Logic 101

By the way I'm on track for a 2.1, so your statement is pointless

If you are not happy at university then why continue? Just because you’re on track for a 2:1 doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily get a 2:1 😉

Lots of people struggle in final year. If you’re struggling now (which you are) you are likely to struggle in year 2 which means you may not get a 2:1 and not attain a graduate job.

Ask yourself, would I be better off getting a decent, high paying apprenticeship now or struggling with university well into third year and potentially ending up without a 2:1 and end up in a low paid, menial job that you could have attained without a degree.
If you are not happy at university then why continue? Just because you’re on track for a 2:1 doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily get a 2:1 😉

Lots of people struggle in final year. If you’re struggling now (which you are) you are likely to struggle in year 2 which means you may not get a 2:1 and not attain a graduate job.

Ask yourself, would I be better off getting a decent, high paying apprenticeship now or struggling with university well into third year and potentially ending up without a 2:1 and end up in a low paid, menial job that you could have attained without a degree.

Or you can mind your own business when it comes to my education :wink:
Or you can mind your own business when it comes to my education :wink:

If you don’t want me to mind your business why are you asking for help on a public forum in the first place? :redface:
If you don’t want me to mind your business why are you asking for help on a public forum in the first place? :redface:

Because there's no reason for me to drop out of university if I'm on track for a 2.1,especially if I'm going for a master's degree afterwards. I'm keeping myself educated even though I'm not happy here :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending