The Student Room Group

Can I apply to uk universities without GCSEs or equivalents?

I will be taking A levels but I did not take GCSEs as I'm an international student. So I wanted to know if it is a must for students to have taken GCSEs to get into universities
Doubt it. They will use your international equivalent of GCSEs
If there are specific Maths or English GCSE requirements for the courses you want to do then Uni will want evidence of the same level of knowledge/ability. This can either be form 16+ exams you took in your own country, or from your A levels. Its a good idea to contact the Universities and check this before you apply.

If there are no specific GCSE requirements, then they will just assess your application without GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Doubt it. They will use your international equivalent of GCSEs

What if I don't have any equivalents?
Original post by haizw
What if I don't have any equivalents?

You don't have any qualifications from before you were 17?
Reply 5
Original post by Jonathanツ
You don't have any qualifications from before you were 17?

No. I was supposed to take the local public exam in 2022 but I'm going to study in uk starting september 2021.
Original post by haizw
No. I was supposed to take the local public exam in 2022 but I'm going to study in uk starting september 2021.

It’ll be worth contacting a few uni’s now to find out how they consider applicants who have switched education systems and have no GCSE equivalents. In all cases you will need some English language qualification, but they may accept an IELTS or another one off test.

Some uni’s will have minimums in both English and Maths, in which case you might want to take those as GCSEs alongside your AL’s to keep your options open. If you are taking Maths and /or English at AL, this will be less of an issue.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
It’ll be worth contacting a few uni’s now to find out how they consider applicants who have switched education systems and have no GCSE equivalents. In all cases you will need some English language qualification, but they may accept an IELTS or another one off test.

Some uni’s will have minimums in both English and Maths, in which case you might want to take those as GCSEs alongside your AL’s to keep your options open. If you are taking Maths and /or English at AL, this will be less of an issue.

Does that mean I could take IELTS and math AL as equivalent for math and english GCSEs?
Original post by haizw
Does that mean I could take IELTS and math AL as equivalent for math and english GCSEs?

If your intended course actually requires GCSE English (not all do) then no, IELTS does not cover that.
As suggested before, you need to email the Uni with a list of the qualifications you have, and ask if that is acceptable.
Original post by haizw

As above, this is up to each individual uni that you apply to, (not the best position for you, as you may get different answers from each).

It’s best to check with possible target unis as early as you can, so that you can keep the most options open with whatever subjects that you take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending