Will poor LLM grades hurt my TC chances?

Watch
Kirkmanmoore
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all. Would be really greatful for a bit of input here.

I got ABB at A-level and 65% in LLB Law with Business at a top 40 University. From what I understand, in terms of setting me up for training contract applications this academic record is ok but not great - it sure as hell won't wow any firms but it should at least meet their base criterea and then let me (hopefully) win them over with my extracurricular experience, unless we're talking the absulute cream of the crop city firms who want russell grads at absolute minimum.

However after finishing my undergrad I made what I now feel was the mistake of going on to do a Law LLM at the same University. I was motivated by the chance to use the extra year to grab some more extracurricular experience for my CV, plus demonstrate I could perform well in a straight law course as well as a joint-honors. At first things went according to plan as my results for my modules in term 1 of 2 were at worst 65% and at best 77%, but in term 2 things went badly wrong as I bit off more than I could chew in terms of extracurriculars, and my performance utterly buckled under the pressure of paid work, volunteer work, and my dissertation and end-of-year exams all at the same time. In the end I completed the course having just scraped a Merit at 60%, but the results on my academic transcript for those term 2 modules don't make for good reading at all, and most damning of all they even contain the first and only failed module of my entire student career, which I ended up being awarded compensatory credit in lieu of.

So my question is: how badly are these results likely to hurt my TC applications if I have to disclose them, as I sometimes hear that LLM results aren't considered as important or scrutinized as closely as LLB ones. And if my TC chances are likely to be hurt, would it be at all feasable for me to not mention the LLM at all in TC apps, or would any firm at all interested in me easily uncover my history on the course and then give me the swift boot for misleading them by omission?
Kirkmanmoore
Rep:
?
Sure.

First term: 65, 68, 77.
Second term: 63.5 (<- dissertation), 41, 50

So yeah, a couple of modules that were well below a 60 unfortunatley.
Gmaster1980
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kirkmanmoore)
Sure.

First term: 65, 68, 77.
Second term: 63.5 (<- dissertation), 41, 50

So yeah, a couple of modules that were well below a 60 unfortunatley.
Hi all. Would be really greatful for a bit of input here.

I got ABB at A-level and 65% in LLB Law with Business at a top 40 University. From what I understand, in terms of setting me up for training contract applications this academic record is ok but not great - it sure as hell won't wow any firms but it should at least meet their base criterea and then let me (hopefully) win them over with my extracurricular experience, unless we're talking the absulute cream of the crop city firms who want russell grads at absolute minimum.

However after finishing my undergrad I made what I now feel was the mistake of going on to do a Law LLM at the same University. I was motivated by the chance to use the extra year to grab some more extracurricular experience for my CV, plus demonstrate I could perform well in a straight law course as well as a joint-honors. At first things went according to plan as my results for my modules in term 1 of 2 were at worst 65% and at best 77%, but in term 2 things went badly wrong as I bit off more than I could chew in terms of extracurriculars, and my performance utterly buckled under the pressure of paid work, volunteer work, and my dissertation and end-of-year exams all at the same time. In the end I completed the course having just scraped a Merit at 60%, but the results on my academic transcript for those term 2 modules don't make for good reading at all, and most damning of all they even contain the first and only failed module of my entire student career, which I ended up being awarded compensatory credit in lieu of.

So my question is: how badly are these results likely to hurt my TC applications if I have to disclose them, as I sometimes hear that LLM results aren't considered as important or scrutinized as closely as LLB ones. And if my TC chances are likely to be hurt, would it be at all feasable for me to not mention the LLM at all in TC apps, or would any firm at all interested in me easily uncover my history on the course and then give me the swift boot for misleading them by omission?
You will be expected to disclose your LLM and your grades for it. If you don't and get found out, you run the risk of losing any offer you've received. The odds of you getting found out are very high too, so it isn't something I'd risk if I were in your shoes.

Firms that care about academics are not going to be impressed; however, how big an impact this has on your competitiveness is going to depend on the types of firm you're interested in working for. Where are you planning on applying?
Kirkmanmoore
Rep:
?
Cheers for the honesty guys. I'm currently applying for the GLS / GLP Legal Trainee Scheme as I hear they don't take grades into heavy consideration so long as you have a 2:2 minimum. I've not thought much about other specific firms to apply for yet, but I suppose prestigious city ones are out of the question so I'd be better off looking into regional places. I'd been considering perhaps leaning into welfare/social security law if possible, as that ties in to my current job as a benefits adviser.

Also just to be clear, my undergrad degree was still primarily in Law and was a qualifying law degree. The business side made up about 25% of the curriculum whereas everything else was the core law modules you would expect, and I performed solidly in those. Although I get that this still probably doesn't look as good on an application as just a straight law degree, and yeah just a top 40 uni is far from ideal.
Last edited by Kirkmanmoore; 3 months ago
Gmaster1980
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Cheers for the honesty guys. I'm currently applying for the GLS / GLP Legal Trainee Scheme as I hear they don't take grades into heavy consideration so long as you have a 2:2 minimum. I've not thought much about other specific firms to apply for yet, but I suppose prestigious city ones are out of the question so I'd be better off looking into regional places. I'd been considering perhaps leaning into welfare/social security law if possible, as that ties in to my current job as a benefits adviser.

Also just to be clear, my undergrad degree was still primarily in Law and was a qualifying law degree. The business side made up about 25% of the curriculum whereas everything else was the core law modules you would expect, and I performed solidly in those. Although I get that this still probably doesn't look as good on an application as just a straight law degree, and yeah just a top 40 uni is far from ideal.
If that's where you're planning on applying, I doubt your grades will cause you any issues.

Oh also, few firms actually ask for module breakdowns for a postgraduate studies. Probably should've mentioned that from the outset. Only the very academically selective ones or those using cvmail ask for postgrad grade breakdowns. Your profile in general grade wise isn't astounding, but you hit the minimums for enough places that I wouldn't let your LLM results disuade your from applying to city firms if your application is strong in other ways.
Kirkmanmoore
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gmaster1980)
If that's where you're planning on applying, I doubt your grades will cause you any issues.

Oh also, few firms actually ask for module breakdowns for a postgraduate studies. Probably should've mentioned that from the outset. Only the very academically selective ones or those using cvmail ask for postgrad grade breakdowns. Your profile in general grade wise isn't astounding, but you hit the minimums for enough places that I wouldn't let your LLM results disuade your from applying to city firms if your application is strong in other ways.
Ah thanks, well that's somewhat reassuring at least. And thankfully I do have a decent amount of relevant work experience and extracurricular accomplishments which I hope will sway some firms, just so long as they don't throw my application in the bin beforehand after a glance at my academics!
sloths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Echo what the others have said really. You aren't looking at city firms so you should be fine. From my experience with high street - mid size firms as long as you have passed the course then the box is ticked

Definitely big up your practical experience in interviews and applications, its all far more useful than the LPC anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads