The Student Room Group

Part-time Summer Job

Hey there,

Currently desperate for a part-time job over the summer and have applied for loads of positions online but to no avail. Instead, I'm going to try and hand in CVs to independent stores/cafés - when I do this, do I need to attach a cover letter with it too? Or will a CV be enough?

Apologies for the stupid question, this will be my first job!
Reply 1
Original post by aries424
Hey there,

Currently desperate for a part-time job over the summer and have applied for loads of positions online but to no avail. Instead, I'm going to try and hand in CVs to independent stores/cafés - when I do this, do I need to attach a cover letter with it too? Or will a CV be enough?

Honestly, Im in a same position and dk what to do. The whole thing seems so bleak. Any help would be very useful.😔
Sorry the reply is like 6 days late but I would definitely recommend writing a cover letter!
Reply 3
Original post by archiveghost
Sorry the reply is like 6 days late but I would definitely recommend writing a cover letter!

I actually started my first job today, but thank you!!
Reply 4
I actually started my first job today, but thank you!!

What did you get in the end and how was your first day
Reply 5
Original post by Ten-Ten
What did you get in the end and how was your first day

I'm working in a takeaway (obviously not the best paying but beggars can't be choosers!!) and it was actually decent. Felt very out of my depth though just because there is so much to take in. I won't be going to it, but I got an interview at Hollister if you were looking for a job, just fill out an online application on their website. Thanks for asking btw!
Reply 6
I'm working in a takeaway (obviously not the best paying but beggars can't be choosers!!) and it was actually decent. Felt very out of my depth though just because there is so much to take in. I won't be going to it, but I got an interview at Hollister if you were looking for a job, just fill out an online application on their website. Thanks for asking btw!

Cool, sad that you felt out of depth but glad you have an interview for Hollister, I’ll see if I can apply. Good luck with everything
Hey there,

A CV should be enough, I did this a month ago and got the job there and then. I think you just have to get lucky. Good luck with your job search, hope you get something soon Xx
Reply 8
Original post by Ten-Ten
Cool, sad that you felt out of depth but glad you have an interview for Hollister, I’ll see if I can apply. Good luck with everything

I think it was only natural that I felt out of my depth because it was the first shift, it's all good. And yes, good luck - in the end, I got the job through a friend that worked there, so ask around!! (Nepotism sucks but it works unfortunately)
Reply 9
I think it was only natural that I felt out of my depth because it was the first shift, it's all good. And yes, good luck - in the end, I got the job through a friend that worked there, so ask around!! (Nepotism sucks but it works unfortunately)

Congrats on the new job. I got all the way to the end of the Hollister application then saw group interview. Slightly putting me off
Reply 10
Original post by Ten-Ten
Congrats on the new job. I got all the way to the end of the Hollister application then saw group interview. Slightly putting me off

Because of Covid the interviews have to be one-on-one with the manager, so you're in luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending