The Student Room Group

Really not sure what to do about uni.

I went to look around my first choice (University of nottingham) today and it was very nice, its just that im not sure if uni is for me. I really want to go, but primarily its the social life. I'm not sure how i'd fare with the work, i can be pretty academic, I've chosen to do politics and international relations.

My issue with uni is that firstly, i worry if i struggle to make friends there etc my main incentive for going will be gone. I've never been to nottingham before, and I don't know how I'll feel about being away from London and the south from where I'm from and familiar with. All my family live in the London area.

Also, I know it sounds silly, and probably quite minor in the wider scheme of things, but it's even difficult to like have your own car at university. I worked hard to learn to drive and pay for a car, and I don't like the though of having to leave it at home just a few months after learning to pass and paying out thousands of poudns for the car and insurance. I feel like that's taking independence away from me, and yes I know public transport exists, but I don't like not having the freedom the car offers, having to rely on other people and things etc.

My worry about not going is that i'll remain with basically no friends and have to stay at home. I don't know what i want to do career wise. I'm an excellent writer, but writing isn't really a profession, like authors aren't known for making money (unless you're one of the few extremely successful ones jk rowling et al), and also i feel like it'll be boring to just sit and type all my life. I've thought in the past about joining the police, but I'm not sure if all my values are aligned with the institution. That said, I feel like being a detective rather than a usual plod would be pretty fun, and nowadays you like do some degree on the job thing so you get a degree anyway regardless of where I go uni and not.

I could also take a gap year, but I feel like again, I'd be at home, another year without any friends or anything so idek.

Also, if any kind of covid restrictions are in place by september, eg, no freshers week, i don't think i'll want to go.
Original post by Anonymous
I went to look around my first choice (University of nottingham) today and it was very nice, its just that im not sure if uni is for me. I really want to go, but primarily its the social life. I'm not sure how i'd fare with the work, i can be pretty academic, I've chosen to do politics and international relations.

My issue with uni is that firstly, i worry if i struggle to make friends there etc my main incentive for going will be gone. I've never been to nottingham before, and I don't know how I'll feel about being away from London and the south from where I'm from and familiar with. All my family live in the London area.

Also, I know it sounds silly, and probably quite minor in the wider scheme of things, but it's even difficult to like have your own car at university. I worked hard to learn to drive and pay for a car, and I don't like the though of having to leave it at home just a few months after learning to pass and paying out thousands of poudns for the car and insurance. I feel like that's taking independence away from me, and yes I know public transport exists, but I don't like not having the freedom the car offers, having to rely on other people and things etc.

My worry about not going is that i'll remain with basically no friends and have to stay at home. I don't know what i want to do career wise. I'm an excellent writer, but writing isn't really a profession, like authors aren't known for making money (unless you're one of the few extremely successful ones jk rowling et al), and also i feel like it'll be boring to just sit and type all my life. I've thought in the past about joining the police, but I'm not sure if all my values are aligned with the institution. That said, I feel like being a detective rather than a usual plod would be pretty fun, and nowadays you like do some degree on the job thing so you get a degree anyway regardless of where I go uni and not.

I could also take a gap year, but I feel like again, I'd be at home, another year without any friends or anything so idek.

Also, if any kind of covid restrictions are in place by september, eg, no freshers week, i don't think i'll want to go.

Its quite hard what to address here as other then your car their is not a lot really specific.

It reads to me that you are anxious about university life in general as well as what you want to do (and thus if a degree is of relevance).

As for the car, generally it’s really not needed at university but if your desperate then you can take it but you’ll need to get accommodation in an off campus hall with parking or rent private housing and get a drive way or parking permit.

As for the rest, I think you should spend some time thinking about what types of things you want to do career wise, get some ideas and see if a degree is suitable or not. If you need more time to decide you can take a gap year.
Reply 2
You come across as bloody rude. I’ve been without friends for nearly five years, so forgive me for wanting to take the opportunity to make some and enjoy myself

Quick Reply

Latest