The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Best Universities in the UK to study Behavioural Economics, and should I take GMAT?

Hi! I have been really interested in the field of Behavioural Economics and want to pursue it as my subject for my Master's degree. I just completed my Bachelors in Business Administration from India from a leading college and am currently taking a gap year to work on my startup.

My GPA wasn't that great, 3.31/4, however, I do have various other extracurricular activities to support my application.

My main aim is to study in London. Please help me out by suggesting the best Uni's offering this course, and should I consider taking the GMAT as an addition to help improve my application? (No uni has asked for a GMAT score for this course)

Been really confused lately, so your help will be really appreciated.
LSE>Imperial>UCL>KCL is the order for Economics in London, I don't know which offer specifically behavioral economics but the quality of the course and the reputation of the unis will follow that ranking.

You only need to take GMAT if they specifically request it. It is more focused on Business, Finance and Management courses than it is on Economics, so an MSc Finance or MBA would be looking for a GMAT but less so for Economics courses.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by bwcity99
LSE>Imperial>UCL>KCL is the order for Economics in London, I don't know which offer specifically behavioral economics but the quality of the course and the reputation of the unis will follow that ranking.

You only need to take GMAT if they specifically request it. It is more focused on Business, Finance and Management courses than it is on Economics, so an MSc Finance or MBA would be looking for a GMAT but less so for Economics courses.

In general I agree with these rankings but none of these unis has a behavioural economics degree. LSE has a behavioural science degree which doesn't have any econ modules (if I remember correctly). At UCL you can do only 1 module in behavioural econ. Imperial doesn't have any degree/module and also I think KCL has the same problem. If you want to stay in London, QMUL has a degree in behavioural finance or if you do a econ degree you can do 1 module. If you only want a behavioural econ degree your only choice is CASS
Original post by Anonymous
In general I agree with these rankings but none of these unis has a behavioural economics degree. LSE has a behavioural science degree which doesn't have any econ modules (if I remember correctly). At UCL you can do only 1 module in behavioural econ. Imperial doesn't have any degree/module and also I think KCL has the same problem. If you want to stay in London, QMUL has a degree in behavioural finance or if you do a econ degree you can do 1 module. If you only want a behavioural econ degree your only choice is CASS

Damn I'm surprised by that.

Cass (changing name to Bayes) is the business school, which doesn't cover economics, so the course is delivered by the main university: City, University of London, which isn't as reputable as the business school.
Damn I'm surprised by that.

Cass (changing name to Bayes) is the business school, which doesn't cover economics, so the course is delivered by the main university: City, University of London, which isn't as reputable as the business school.

Yeah about CASS you are 100% right, my bad. My suggestion is to go somewhere else, not london, if you really want to do behavioural econ or do an other degree in london
Reply 5

It is getting hard to rank universities for this course because the information on it is pretty less, even I am using the economics rankings as a basis for the same. Thank you for answering!
Reply 6

That is really insightful. Finding the right course is surely getting tough for this subject. The closest I've found so far are at LSE and UCL. I will definitely look into the course details, thank you for sharing this information.
That is really insightful. Finding the right course is surely getting tough for this subject. The closest I've found so far are at LSE and UCL. I will definitely look into the course details, thank you for sharing this information.

If you also want to study somewhere else not in London many great unis have behavioural econ
Reply 8
If you also want to study somewhere else not in London many great unis have behavioural econ

I am in two minds about this honestly for the following reasons,
Masters course is only for a year's duration, so I feel its best to spend it in the city as I may get many opportunities
London is a great place to be able to network
Many companies prefer people who have lived in the city as they know that they're already had the experience of living in the midst of the bustle
Also, since I will be leaving my country, which is a big step in it self, it feels like London should be the place I goto to get all the exposure that I can
Masters course is only for a year's duration, so I feel its best to spend it in the city as I may get many opportunities
Many companies prefer people who have lived in the city as they know that they're already had the experience of living in the midst of the bustle
Also, since I will be leaving my country, which is a big step in it self, it feels like London should be the place I goto to get all the exposure that I can

I get your point, I'm also an international student but a few years behind, I know that I want to do a master and probably the thing I like the best about econ is the behavioural aspect. Probably you should understand if you want to study what you really like or where you really want to be

There are indeed plenty of great reasons to live and study in London, however if you find a top course at a non-London uni that will still be a great degree to take, and you could then look for a job in the city afterwards.

Warwick have a Behavioural and Economic Science MSc, Nottingham have Behavioural Economics MSc, Exeter have Behavioural Economics and Finance MSc etc.

These are all great universities with good business ties that will give good job prospects. I believe they are all above City, UoL in the economics rankings.
There are indeed plenty of great reasons to live and study in London, however if you find a top course at a non-London uni that will still be a great degree to take, and you could then look for a job in the city afterwards.

Warwick have a Behavioural and Economic Science MSc, Nottingham have Behavioural Economics MSc, Exeter have Behavioural Economics and Finance MSc etc.

These are all great universities with good business ties that will give good job prospects. I believe they are all above City, UoL in the economics rankings.

I think also Durham as a behavioural economics degree

I get your point, I'm also an international student but a few years behind, I know that I want to do a master and probably the thing I like the best about econ is the behavioural aspect. Probably you should understand if you want to study what you really like or where you really want to be

Very true! Need to prioritise my main point of focus.

That's true, perhaps I should consider looking at opportunities outside of London for my Masters and perhaps later find a job in the city to meet both my goals.
That's true, perhaps I should consider looking at opportunities outside of London for my Masters and perhaps later find a job in the city to meet both my goals.

It's all just food for thought for you. Try think/research your end goal from education and see how the different courses/locations will help you and I'm sure you'll make the right decision. London is great for networking but its a trade off for lower education in your chosen course so you need to figure out what you want to prioritize.
It's all just food for thought for you. Try think/research your end goal from education and see how the different courses/locations will help you and I'm sure you'll make the right decision. London is great for networking but its a trade off for lower education in your chosen course so you need to figure out what you want to prioritize.

That's very true! Really need to do more thinking in this space. Thank you, really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending