The Student Room Group

I don't know if to go to Universaty or get an apprenticeship

Guys I am really torn here. I took a gap year after college and now taking a second (since covid didn't allow me to travel). I don't know what to do after...

I would like to go to Uni as I would like a good social life and party. But also I am a hard worker (I got distinction in college) and having a good grade helps get jobs easier.

I don't wanna go to Uni cause I don't really like the education system and find a lot of the things I am learning don't come in handy in the real world.There is no job at the end of Uni and would mean I would be 24 when I finish :-O

I would like to do an apprenticeship since I learn better on the job and you also get paid. However, I am concerned I won't have much of a student life as I would be working a lot of the time. Also would be a lot harder to meet friends.

Thoughts?
Hi @olliewe88
I highly recommend attending university open days and visiting in person if you can to get an idea of if university is for you. If you are having a look at the university websites I highly recommend looking at your courses in terms of the employability afterwards and what careers you can go down after the degree.
I also recommend chatting to current students on the courses you are interested in whether this be at open days or online, at my university you can do this through this link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Hopefully having a look at this can help with your decisions.
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
Original post by olliewe88
Guys I am really torn here. I took a gap year after college and now taking a second (since covid didn't allow me to travel). I don't know what to do after...

I would like to go to Uni as I would like a good social life and party. But also I am a hard worker (I got distinction in college) and having a good grade helps get jobs easier.

I don't wanna go to Uni cause I don't really like the education system and find a lot of the things I am learning don't come in handy in the real world.There is no job at the end of Uni and would mean I would be 24 when I finish :-O

I would like to do an apprenticeship since I learn better on the job and you also get paid. However, I am concerned I won't have much of a student life as I would be working a lot of the time. Also would be a lot harder to meet friends.

Thoughts?

Don’t go to uni just for the “experience” because that’s a lot of money to do a degree you’re not fully committed to and you don’t think would lead to a job. If you don’t like education I see no point in university because it’s a LOT of study.
It sounds to me like you’re wanting an apprenticeship. A couple of my friends got apprenticeships and they’re doing really well - one just bought a house. I’m at uni but still living at home and skint ahaha
Reply 3
Original post by lucyyy12
Don’t go to uni just for the “experience” because that’s a lot of money to do a degree you’re not fully committed to and you don’t think would lead to a job. If you don’t like education I see no point in university because it’s a LOT of study.
It sounds to me like you’re wanting an apprenticeship. A couple of my friends got apprenticeships and they’re doing really well - one just bought a house. I’m at uni but still living at home and skint ahaha

Uni social life looks so fun tho! :smile:Maybe I'll just make sure to party hard in my 2nd gap year with lockdown easing to hopefully knock out my social addiction hahaha then go do an apprenticeship

Thoughts?

I really don't think partying is a good reason to go to university.

Do an apprenticeship. Tag along to parties through friends you have if it matters that much to you.
Uni social life looks so fun tho! :smile:Maybe I'll just make sure to party hard in my 2nd gap year with lockdown easing to hopefully knock out my social addiction hahaha then go do an apprenticeship

Uni social life has been non existent due to Covid tho :/

Thoughts?

100% do the apprenticeship. Most degrees are not worth the paper they’re written on these days. Personally I only feel it’s worth going to university unless you’re really interested in your degree subject or you need to go to university to do the job you intend to do.

You do not appear to be in either of those circumstances. I understand what you mean about the social life but the social life at university is mediocre and can be replicated by you going out clubbing every weekend and attending a local club/society etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending