The Student Room Group

What’s the correct process for teaching interviews

I’m going for an interview but I’m really unsure as to whether I’d be happy to work there due to the distance. If I got it and declined is that considered poor practice and how can it go against me?
Original post by w678
I’m going for an interview but I’m really unsure as to whether I’d be happy to work there due to the distance. If I got it and declined is that considered poor practice and how can it go against me?

It's fine to attend an interview when you are unsure whether you want the job. They will usually ask you if you have any questions, and you can ask whatever you need to know to decide if you want to work there. You're also free to leave during the process - I had a friend who excused herself during lunch before the actual interview because she'd heard enough from students / staff to realise she didn't want to work at the school, and that wasn't an issue.

At the end of the interview, it is very likely they will ask if you are still a firm candidate (or something along those lines) - at that point, you do need to decide. If you say yes, you are a firm candidate, and then they offer you the job and you turn it down, this will not be looked upon favourably. It may lead to nothing, but equally it could be that the headteacher mentions this to another headteacher, and that may hurt your chances of getting an interview at another school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending