The Student Room Group

Is your degree classification told during graduation?

Also what actually happens during graduation.
I know it varies between universities. Cheers

Scroll to see replies

I know it definitely can vary from university to university.
My best idea for you would for you to go and search on YouTube 'University of ? graduation' because there are a lot of university YouTuber's about who will no doubt video their experience of graduation and the day :smile:.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi ,

So for Coventry University before the graduation ceremony itself, you will get emailed a link that takes you to a page that shows you your degree classification, so whether it's a 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd and you'll see your averages and percentages with your grades per module.

Rachel, Coventry Campus, BA Business and Marketing

If you mean what happens during the graduation ceremony, it's likely that you will sat with your coursemates (usually in surname alphabetical order), then you will line up when called, and your name and degree title will be announced as you walk across the stage and shake hands with the VC or other senior academic staff. You might then be given a certificate, or just go back to your seat. They don't say which degree classification you got.
my first one, we were sat in results order, then alphabetical. So all firsts first, then 2.1s etc.
Reply 5
It's a couple of hours of your life you won't get back. You don't need to go, they'll post you your degree.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you mean what happens during the graduation ceremony, it's likely that you will sat with your coursemates (usually in surname alphabetical order), then you will line up when called, and your name and degree title will be announced as you walk across the stage and shake hands with the VC or other senior academic staff. You might then be given a certificate, or just go back to your seat. They don't say which degree classification you got.

Cheers!
Reply 7
Original post by Catherine1973
my first one, we were sat in results order, then alphabetical. So all firsts first, then 2.1s etc.

Oh wow! That could be awkward. What uni did you go to? I got a 2:2 so hopefully they don't do it like this.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily2001x
I know it definitely can vary from university to university.
My best idea for you would for you to go and search on YouTube 'University of ? graduation' because there are a lot of university YouTuber's about who will no doubt video their experience of graduation and the day :smile:.

Good idea cheers
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
It's a couple of hours of your life you won't get back. You don't need to go, they'll post you your degree.

Don't think my mum would forgive me!
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi ,

So for Coventry University before the graduation ceremony itself, you will get emailed a link that takes you to a page that shows you your degree classification, so whether it's a 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd and you'll see your averages and percentages with your grades per module.

Rachel, Coventry Campus, BA Business and Marketing

Cheers
I attended a graduation at Swansea some years back. For each course they first called up the students that had been awarded firsts, and then all the other graduating students. So all you knew was that some people had firsts and that others didn't.

So I think in some ways that's the best of both worlds; it recognises those who have done particularly well without stigmatising those who just scraped through.

In terms of your own ceremony, there will be a team of people at the university who organise the graduation ceremonies. Get in contact with that team and ask. Bear in mind that things can change from one year to the next.
With ours they said our course name and then we went up in alphabetical order and got our certificates. No hint of what anyone got. Although our final classification was printed in our graduation ceremony book.
Original post by martin7
I attended a graduation at Swansea some years back. For each course they first called up the students that had been awarded firsts, and then all the other graduating students. So all you knew was that some people had firsts and that others didn't.

So I think in some ways that's the best of both worlds; it recognises those who have done particularly well without stigmatising those who just scraped through.

In terms of your own ceremony, there will be a team of people at the university who organise the graduation ceremonies. Get in contact with that team and ask. Bear in mind that things can change from one year to the next.

Ahh Ok, that would be better than doing it by classification. Cheers.
With ours they said our course name and then we went up in alphabetical order and got our certificates. No hint of what anyone got. Although our final classification was printed in our graduation ceremony book.

Hope its like that for us too, we're having it in September. Hmm is the graduation ceremony book meant to be read during the graduation? When was it handed to you/family? Also just out of interest was it a percentage or literally just the degree? Cheers
Original post by Catherine1973

Mine was the same

Students graduating split into Degree classifications were also published in the booklet for the ceremony and in the local newspaper for each day.
it varies by university
Hope its like that for us too, we're having it in September. Hmm is the graduation ceremony book meant to be read during the graduation? When was it handed to you/family? Also just out of interest was it a percentage or literally just the degree? Cheers

No it isn't read, it was available at the reception desk in the building but you had to go and ask for it :smile: Umm, ours said 2:1 etc
What happens:
You sit in a big hall, a few speeches are made, then everyone goes up row by row pickup a certificate & walk through the middle of the hall. Then everyone parades out at the end.

Typically nowadays they’ll just read your name, and people walk course by course & each person in alphabetical order.

It used to be more common to give certificates out in order of performance (personally I think they should bring that back) but it’s not very common nowadays.
No it isn't read, it was available at the reception desk in the building but you had to go and ask for it :smile: Umm, ours said 2:1 etc

Haha that's good! Ah I see, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending