The Student Room Group

UCAS application vs. Uni applications

Hi everyone.

Are the UCAS application and university applications two different things?

They say that the window to make your UCAS application is 18 May - 30 June but your uni applications have the window 7 Sep - 15 Jan (excluding medicine, etc.). I am confused by this. Can someone clarify please?

Also, if you are to apply to uni courses during the Sep - Jan window, would this be your application for entry into the next academic year? Eg. send application on 22 Sep 2021 and join a uni’s course in Sep 2022? Because most unis have a Sep start date so that window is too short for people to send their apps and for unis to sift through all of them, right?

Please help guys thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, so I assume you're in year 12 now?

Basically you can create an account on UCAS now, however I don't believe you can actually send it off until at least September. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

However, most sixth forms will properly guide you through the process when you start year 13 so most people will likely create their UCAS account, fill in their application and send it off between Sept-Jan. (unless you're applying for oxbridge, medicine, dentistry and vet med - these applications need to have been sent off by Oct).

And yes, if you are looking to start in September 2022, you will do your UCAS application this year.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Throwaway927774
Hi everyone.

Are the UCAS application and university applications two different things?

They say that the window to make your UCAS application is 18 May - 30 June but your uni applications have the window 7 Sep - 15 Jan (excluding medicine, etc.). I am confused by this. Can someone clarify please?

Also, if you are to apply to uni courses during the Sep - Jan window, would this be your application for entry into the next academic year? Eg. send application on 22 Sep 2021 and join a uni’s course in Sep 2022? Because most unis have a Sep start date so that window is too short for people to send their apps and for unis to sift through all of them, right?

Please help guys thanks :smile:

You can start your UCAS application for 2022 entry in May 2021.
You can submit it after 7 September 2021.
To get equal consideration the standard deadline is January 15 2022.
The final deadline to apply for 2022 entry outside clearing is June 30 2022.

To submit your application to UCAS it needs to have your reference written and added - most schools/colleges will have earlier deadlines that you have to meet so that they have time to put together and add your reference before the January deadline.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PQ
You can start your UCAS application for 2022 entry in May 2021.
You can submit it after 7 September 2021.
To get equal consideration the standard deadline is January 15 2022.
The final deadline to apply for 2022 entry outside clearing is June 30 2022.

To submit your application to UCAS it needs to have your reference written and added - most schools/colleges will have earlier deadlines that you have to meet so that they have time to put together and add your reference before the January deadline.

Thanks for the help. What do you mean by equal consideration?

Also, if the standard deadline is Jan, then what happens if you submit it after Jan but before June?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SLS123
Hi, so I assume you're in year 12 now?

Basically you can create an account on UCAS now, however I don't believe you can actually send it off until at least September. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

However, most sixth forms will properly guide you through the process when you start year 13 so most people will likely create their UCAS account, fill in their application and send it off between Sept-Jan. (unless you're applying for oxbridge, medicine, dentistry and vet med - these applications need to have been sent off by Oct).

And yes, if you are looking to start in September 2022, you will do your UCAS application this year.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the help. I’m not in Year 12 I’m actually 19 and catching up on my education.
Thanks for the help. What do you mean by equal consideration?

Also, if the standard deadline is Jan, then what happens if you submit it after Jan but before June?

Universities have to give equal/fair consideration to all applications received by UCAS between Sept-Jan 15. At that point some competitive/oversubscribed courses will be closed by universities to "late" applications while other universities will work through late applications the same as those that came in before the deadline and others will wait until May/June to see if they want to make offers to any late applications.

TL: DR after the January deadline it is at a university's discretion whether they consider your application and they can decide to be stricter with late applications than with those they get before the deadline.
Original post by PQ
Universities have to give equal/fair consideration to all applications received by UCAS between Sept-Jan 15. At that point some competitive/oversubscribed courses will be closed by universities to "late" applications while other universities will work through late applications the same as those that came in before the deadline and others will wait until May/June to see if they want to make offers to any late applications.

TL: DR after the January deadline it is at a university's discretion whether they consider your application and they can decide to be stricter with late applications than with those they get before the deadline.

Thank you.

I see “Apply” options under uni courses and am wondering what the difference is between doing this manually for 5 different courses which is all you’re allowed, and doing a UCAS app where you can include all 5 of your choices at once?
Thank you.

I see “Apply” options under uni courses and am wondering what the difference is between doing this manually for 5 different courses which is all you’re allowed, and doing a UCAS app where you can include all 5 of your choices at once?

if you hit that button for an undergraduate (BA/BSc/BEng) degree then it will just add it to your UCAS application - hitting the button doesn't submit an instant application it's just a way for UCAS to try to encourage people to submit UCAS applications
Original post by PQ
if you hit that button for an undergraduate (BA/BSc/BEng) degree then it will just add it to your UCAS application - hitting the button doesn't submit an instant application it's just a way for UCAS to try to encourage people to submit UCAS applications

Is a masters considered an undergrad degree? If not, then what will it do for masters courses?
Is a masters considered an undergrad degree? If not, then what will it do for masters courses?

If it's an Integrated Masters course, yes it is.

There are also Masters courses you can enter as a postgrad (after already graduating university with a Bachelor's).

Look at the undergraduate degrees section on the university website. Any Masters courses listed there will be integrated Masters courses (usually 4 years + any year in industry if applicable - longer for medicine).
Original post by ry7xsfa
If it's an Integrated Masters course, yes it is.

There are also Masters courses you can enter as a postgrad (after already graduating university with a Bachelor's).

Look at the undergraduate degrees section on the university website. Any Masters courses listed there will be integrated Masters courses (usually 4 years + any year in industry if applicable - longer for medicine).

Thank you! My favourited astronomy-related courses have a Masters integration,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending