The Student Room Group

Can you take two years off uni course?

I was wondering do most universities let you take a year off (say after 1st year) and then take another (like after 2nd year)?
Depends on your uni and course...
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering do most universities let you take a year off (say after 1st year) and then take another (like after 2nd year)?

It depends on the reason for the years off. If you have proven medical reasons or other extenuating circumstances, you can claim for those, or if you want to do a year in industry/abroad if your course has that option. Taking two years out in between each academic year just because you fancy it probably won't go down too well.
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

Good question. It all depends on your university, course and reasoning. Usually, it is possible to defer a year, but you may need to go through a process whereby you justify your decision, which means they could, in theory, reject the request.

If it is to gain work experience in the industry you are applying to, usually taking one year out is acceptable but typically between year 2 and 3. What is it for If you don't mind me asking?

hope this help.
James - Student Rep
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
Reply 4
Original post by University of Derby

Hi there,

Good question. It all depends on your university, course and reasoning. Usually, it is possible to defer a year, but you may need to go through a process whereby you justify your decision, which means they could, in theory, reject the request.

If it is to gain work experience in the industry you are applying to, usually taking one year out is acceptable but typically between year 2 and 3. What is it for If you don't mind me asking?

hope this help.
James - Student Rep

It’s not entirely relevant. It’s kinda a creative apprenticeship whereas my degree is geography. I like the idea of a career within the environment a lot but everything is incredibly difficult to get into… which is why I thought I could give this apprenticeship a go, maybe return to uni if I don’t like it. Also, the apprenticeship requires some skills that would be good for geog graduate jobs
There's no standard answer, each uni will have its own policy. But they may allow you to withdraw temporarily and resume after a gap. Multiple gaps would likely not be permitted.

Quick Reply

Latest