The Student Room Group

Occupational Health Questionnaire - Graduate Entry Medicine

Hi all - hope this is the right forum for this! I'm currently filling out my Occupational Health Questionnaire ahead of starting graduate medicine in September.

One of the questions asks specifically if I have had and current or previous self harm disorders, which is something I suffered from for over a decade before entering into recovery. I'm not intending to conceal it but I would be very keen to know why this information is collected and what it will be used for, whether it will hamper my medical career in any way?

I'm not necessarily ashamed of it but its something that I'm proud to have left in the past and I don't hugely want to dredge it all back up again.

Would be grateful for others thoughts & opinions on this & advice on what the impact of declaring it will be.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all - hope this is the right forum for this! I'm currently filling out my Occupational Health Questionnaire ahead of starting graduate medicine in September.

One of the questions asks specifically if I have had and current or previous self harm disorders, which is something I suffered from for over a decade before entering into recovery. I'm not intending to conceal it but I would be very keen to know why this information is collected and what it will be used for, whether it will hamper my medical career in any way?

I'm not necessarily ashamed of it but its something that I'm proud to have left in the past and I don't hugely want to dredge it all back up again.

Would be grateful for others thoughts & opinions on this & advice on what the impact of declaring it will be.

I’m pretty sure you have to declare it as honesty is essential and if you don’t and later it’s found out it would be worse in the eyes of the GMC even though I get that if you’ve been ok for a long time it can seem like an obstacle or intrusion.
I’m pretty sure it’s used just for occupational health to assess the situation and put in place any support or adjustments and depending on your personal situation that can be absolutely nothing if you don’t need anything .
I’m pretty sure legally if they say you are ok that it is not able to affect progression as occupational health is separate to employment due to equality laws

I believe the main intention is to identify students who may require additional support or reasonable adjustments during the course.

As far as I am aware, having any physical/ mental health condition (whether past or present) should not your ability to study medicine or register with the GMC to practice unless the condition is likely to prevent you from practicing medicine safely and professionally (I.E in accordance with the GMC's fitness to practice guidelines https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/standards-guidance-and-curricula/guidance/welcomed-and-valued/health-and-disability-in-medicine).

Congratulations on getting an offer, it's great that you were able to overcome your past problems! Don't let this process worry you, as was said below, OH checks are separate to starting medical school or practicing as a doctor, except in rare circumstances!!
Reply 3
Original post by DGeorge13
I’m pretty sure you have to declare it as honesty is essential and if you don’t and later it’s found out it would be worse in the eyes of the GMC even though I get that if you’ve been ok for a long time it can seem like an obstacle or intrusion.
I’m pretty sure it’s used just for occupational health to assess the situation and put in place any support or adjustments and depending on your personal situation that can be absolutely nothing if you don’t need anything .
I’m pretty sure legally if they say you are ok that it is not able to affect progression as occupational health is separate to employment due to equality laws

I will 100% declare them, I just wanted more information.

I friend of an acquaintance was not allowed to start medical school due to her ongoing ED and i just got spooked although it doesn't sound like it would.
Ask on the Medicine forum. Read the supporting information. When i applied for Nursing, the Uni gave me a comprehensive statement about why it is required, how it is done, the support that can be offered etc. Did you not receive any information or context to your request?!
Reply 5
Ask on the Medicine forum. Read the supporting information. When i applied for Nursing, the Uni gave me a comprehensive statement about why it is required, how it is done, the support that can be offered etc. Did you not receive any information or context to your request?!

thanks for the advice - I would ask but I prefer to post anoymously and you can only ask anonymously here no information or context no :frown:
thanks for the advice - I would ask but I prefer to post anoymously and you can only ask anonymously here no information or context no :frown:

You can post anonymously in the medicine forum.

I did not disclose self-harm on my occ health form at uni and no-one questioned it despite the nurses seeing my scars when doing bloods.

Quick Reply