The Student Room Group

Help picking universities ... I feel so lost (urgent)

(Offers: Physics at St Andrews, Warwick, UCL, Bristol.)

I’m currently within a 14 day period in which I can change my replies for my firm and insurance university. (currently have 12 days left.) I ended up just submitting a reply on the 10th (deadline) just so I didnt miss the deadline but it wasn’t a final decision.

I thought I’d use the two weeks to finalise my decision by visiting each university (which I haven’t done yet due to Covid.) However, I have yet to confirm my trips as (especially St Andrews) they are quite difficult to plan. With the only possible time to go to St Andrews being next weekend (as it is by far the cheapest and possibly easiest date) But I fear this would put me too close to the deadline of the 14 days.

Whilst Planning these visits, I’ve also been watching videos, making Pros and Cons lists, watching lectures on Physics and Maths (because I’m still unsure on wether Physics is something I would enjoy, or if something like Maths and Physics would be better as it gives me more subjects to try. But UCL would be the only place that wouldn’t let me switch to Maths and Physics as they require further maths.

The days keep going by (down to 12 days including today) And I fear that I will completely break down by the end, No matter who I talk to (family, students, professors, my own teachers etc) , How much I research into the places and universities, How many videos I watch.... Nothing seems to help me in actually making a decision. It has helped me realise alot about each university and the good/bad things for me of each one. But because each pro/con of each university is so different, it feels hard to compare. And without having gone to visit them yet, It feels like i’m picking blind.

I feel like someone in a room where all 4 walls are closing in and I dont know what to do...
I dont even know what I’m asking for right now? Advice? Or just a way to get all my feelings out.

I also fear that after spending days planning, and spending alot of money and time, I’ll visit all the places and become even more confused/conflicted. I’m not trying to overthink it or be indecisive... But I cant help it. I’m not being lazy in my decision, I could have done more over the past two days but I really am trying (I also am struggling with eating recently.)
I am trying to be proactive in making my decision but its also hard to battle to emotions this has caused. I dont feel like I have my life in order because of this, Whilst all my friends are out enjoying summer, I’m at home trying my best not to be miserable.

Sorry that was a bit of a rant/tangent. But any advice when it comes to picking a university, any personal experiences of being a student at any of them? I have slightly discounted Bristol but the other universities are all at the same level of consideration so maybe prioritise those. Anything else you think may be useful or important.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Apart from telling you to research the universities, nobody can help you. I like London, you may not. The judgement is entirely dependant on the types of things you like, if you don't like the big city feel UCL may not be for you etc.
The reason you’re finding this hard is because they’re all good choices for you.

Try not to worry too much - if they’re all good choices then you can’t pick the “wrong” choice.
UCL.
Original post by SaintSaint

I’m currently within a 14 day period in which I can change my replies for my firm and insurance university. (currently have 12 days left.) I ended up just submitting a reply on the 10th (deadline) just so I didnt miss the deadline but it wasn’t a final decision.

I thought I’d use the two weeks to finalise my decision by visiting each university (which I haven’t done yet due to Covid.) However, I have yet to confirm my trips as (especially St Andrews) they are quite difficult to plan. With the only possible time to go to St Andrews being next weekend (as it is by far the cheapest and possibly easiest date) But I fear this would put me too close to the deadline of the 14 days.

Whilst Planning these visits, I’ve also been watching videos, making Pros and Cons lists, watching lectures on Physics and Maths (because I’m still unsure on wether Physics is something I would enjoy, or if something like Maths and Physics would be better as it gives me more subjects to try. But UCL would be the only place that wouldn’t let me switch to Maths and Physics as they require further maths.

The days keep going by (down to 12 days including today) And I fear that I will completely break down by the end, No matter who I talk to (family, students, professors, my own teachers etc) , How much I research into the places and universities, How many videos I watch.... Nothing seems to help me in actually making a decision. It has helped me realise alot about each university and the good/bad things for me of each one. But because each pro/con of each university is so different, it feels hard to compare. And without having gone to visit them yet, It feels like i’m picking blind.

I feel like someone in a room where all 4 walls are closing in and I dont know what to do...
I dont even know what I’m asking for right now? Advice? Or just a way to get all my feelings out.

I also fear that after spending days planning, and spending alot of money and time, I’ll visit all the places and become even more confused/conflicted. I’m not trying to overthink it or be indecisive... But I cant help it. I’m not being lazy in my decision, I could have done more over the past two days but I really am trying (I also am struggling with eating recently.)
I am trying to be proactive in making my decision but its also hard to battle to emotions this has caused. I dont feel like I have my life in order because of this, Whilst all my friends are out enjoying summer, I’m at home trying my best not to be miserable.

Sorry that was a bit of a rant/tangent. But any advice when it comes to picking a university, any personal experiences of being a student at any of them? I have slightly discounted Bristol but the other universities are all at the same level of consideration so maybe prioritise those. Anything else you think may be useful or important.

Thank you.

Instead of making a list of pros and cons and listing them in a random order, do this :
1. Take 4 pages and write down each pro and con in two columns
2. Divide each page in half
3. The top half of each paper will be categorically comparing(if possible since there may be incomparable differences) pros and cons.
4. The bottom half will be be compare pros and cons Otbo of how important it is for yout
5. First do a categorical comparison and give one point to the uni who does that best or has the best compromise eg: class size
6. half points can be given if you’re not sure but try to give a zero if you are not sure
7. Now do the importance based comparison
8. Here you might have to think of some scaling. You could divide the important points into non compromisable aspects, flexible aspects and don’t care much at all aspects.
9. This can eliminate the trivial bits and put the things you care about into focus.
10. Finallly do a tally as you see fit.
11. Don’t forget the grades bit.

Note- I have never been in the position of having multiple offers but if I did, this is probably what I would do.

Good luck!
Reply 5
They are all great universities, it depends what you are looking for. Do you like more of a community and campus-type university where the place is quite small, but isn't as bustling as London? Then pick St Andrew's, everybody I have spoken to has loved it there. On the other hand, if you like more of a vibrant city with a lot to do, but can be expensive and less of that community (since it doesn't really have a campus) atmosphere then pick UCL. I have also heard good things about Warick and Bristol
Reply 6
Original post by nelly7
They are all great universities, it depends what you are looking for. Do you like more of a community and campus-type university where the place is quite small, but isn't as bustling as London? Then pick St Andrew's, everybody I have spoken to has loved it there. On the other hand, if you like more of a vibrant city with a lot to do, but can be expensive and less of that community (since it doesn't really have a campus) atmosphere then pick UCL. I have also heard good things about Warick and Bristol

I guess I havent really got much experience with campus style vs city style. The only university I have managed to visit so far is Warwick and even then it was just to walk around the campus (werent allowed into buildings.). But because I have havent seen a city uni, its hard to compare.

I’m going to try to visit some over the coming days, hopefully that will help.
I guess I havent really got much experience with campus style vs city style. The only university I have managed to visit so far is Warwick and even then it was just to walk around the campus (werent allowed into buildings.). But because I have havent seen a city uni, its hard to compare.

What sort of place do you live in at the moment? And more importantly do you feel happy living there?
It’s really tough not being able to visit because of COVID think when it comes to university the most important thing is you feel happy in the location really like costal city’s so I went to Solent so consider what location you like and apply there it’s all I can think of really sorry if it doesn’t help much

Thank you.

Who do you have as your firm and insurance currently

Have a look at the PM I have sent you.
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Who do you have as your firm and insurance currently

I currently have St Andrews as my Firm and Warwick as my Insurance.
But it was very much a “get something in on time” reply rather than something I felt was final
Original post by jonathanemptage
It’s really tough not being able to visit because of COVID think when it comes to university the most important thing is you feel happy in the location really like costal city’s so I went to Solent so consider what location you like and apply there it’s all I can think of really sorry if it doesn’t help much

I 100% agree, its so hard to really feel any sort of attachment to a place when you haven’t actually been there in person.

Seeing the buildings online and virtual tours are a great way to start and the only real alternative we’ve had this year. But I’ve finally planned visits to each uni so hopefully getting a feel for them in person will really help.

Getting to St Andrews is very difficult tho, I knew it was far but its very complicated and expensive I cant lie.
Original post by PQ
What sort of place do you live in at the moment? And more importantly do you feel happy living there?

I currently live in a town, so its not anything like London and probably more along the lines of Bristol. I like it here, its the only place i’ve ever lived tho - As a child I definitely wanted to go to university in a massive vibrant city. But I’ve since changed slightly, I would still love a city but the small community vibe is just a different type of experience, but not necessarily worse or better. Just another thing I think I need to try (I think my main issue is wanting to try as many things as possible and not missing out on trying different things.)
Original post by PQ
The reason you’re finding this hard is because they’re all good choices for you.

Try not to worry too much - if they’re all good choices then you can’t pick the “wrong” choice.

I’ve definitely heard this when talking to people, which definitely makes me feel good knowing that I can’t necessarily make a wrong decision. But it definitely makes the decision much harder when they’re all equally good. Its easy to justify any of the choices but much more difficult justifying one over any of the others.
I currently live in a town, so its not anything like London and probably more along the lines of Bristol. I like it here, its the only place i’ve ever lived tho - As a child I definitely wanted to go to university in a massive vibrant city. But I’ve since changed slightly, I would still love a city but the small community vibe is just a different type of experience, but not necessarily worse or better. Just another thing I think I need to try (I think my main issue is wanting to try as many things as possible and not missing out on trying different things.)

Warwick might be a really good fit in that case. Have you seen any of the Coventry city of culture events/broadcasts?
I know it's a long shot but maybe try finding current students of the unis on tsr and ask them questions about their unis? I feel like they would have a more realistic approach compared to student ambassadors who are paid to only give you the pros. Of course every uni has it's pros and cons it's whether or not those cons affect you or are a big concern of yours :smile: good luck!
I currently have St Andrews as my Firm and Warwick as my Insurance.
But it was very much a “get something in on time” reply rather than something I felt was final

Must have been a reason you chose them though

I thought we’d discounted Bristol anyway
Original post by daveymcloughlin
Must have been a reason you chose them though

I thought we’d discounted Bristol anyway

Yeah I still feel like Bristol would be at the bottom, but I did visit Bristol recently and obviously the city is great.

But yeah, Its definitely out of St Andrews, Warwick and UCL. On the deadline I just knew I needed to put 2 out of those 3 in, So thats what I did. It could have been any 2 of them realistically.

I think once I’ve seen UCL and hopefully ill be able to visit St Andrews (but that will be much more difficult.) Ill be able to really compare the vibe of each one. Another thing I think I need to consider is the effect Covid will have on University- with the restrictions being lifted a month later - thats a month closer to term start dates etc. Universities have also said (one’s that I’ve spoken to) that the learning will be a mix of online and in person (with anything involving more than 50 people being online, i.e lectures.)

This might not be the case for the whole of the year but it is definitely something that will be implemented in the first term maybe two.
Yeah I still feel like Bristol would be at the bottom, but I did visit Bristol recently and obviously the city is great.

But yeah, Its definitely out of St Andrews, Warwick and UCL. On the deadline I just knew I needed to put 2 out of those 3 in, So thats what I did. It could have been any 2 of them realistically.

I think once I’ve seen UCL and hopefully ill be able to visit St Andrews (but that will be much more difficult.) Ill be able to really compare the vibe of each one. Another thing I think I need to consider is the effect Covid will have on University- with the restrictions being lifted a month later - thats a month closer to term start dates etc. Universities have also said (one’s that I’ve spoken to) that the learning will be a mix of online and in person (with anything involving more than 50 people being online, i.e lectures.)

This might not be the case for the whole of the year but it is definitely something that will be implemented in the first term maybe two.

You‘lol end up picking UCL and Warwick imo

StAndrews is tiny and miles away why would you want to go there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending