The Student Room Group

How to turn down work

So I registered with a teaching agency around 2 months ago. I said at the meeting that the reason I am registering (because I'm with another agency) is that the other agency keeps giving me nursery. I then had 5 weeks of work in a secondary school but then that ended. I went to another two schools over a week. However, they asked me to work in a nursery today. I said yes because they had no secondary work and I was dressed and ready to go. However, I'm afraid that this will just turn into more and more nursery work. How do I turn it down without me being mean about it? They don't even text me it, they phone me in the morning.

Edit-I'm extremely grateful for the money don't get me wrong but I do not have the personality to work in a nursery.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
can you maybe try and just mention that your prefer to work at secondary schools? or just bring it up in a casual way like 'oh i miss working at schools, is there no more shifts coming up?' and see what they say...

honestly i signed up with an agency as well who work with both nurseries and schools, so i am curious about which agency you're with if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by fatiana
can you maybe try and just mention that your prefer to work at secondary schools? or just bring it up in a casual way like 'oh i miss working at schools, is there no more shifts coming up?' and see what they say...

honestly i signed up with an agency as well who work with both nurseries and schools, so i am curious about which agency you're with if you dont mind me asking?

She knows that because we talked about it during my interview thing. I was in secondary all last week. I just have the fear now that she'll phone every morning asking about nurseries. It's frustrating- I know work isn't guaranteed, however, I used to get texts asking for whole weeks and now I get nothing. Only phone calls in the morning. I'm thinking of just saying I'm sorry but it's not for me, I just don't have the right personality/temperament for it. The exact same situation happened with my other agency who I ignore now because they take the piss. I signed up and they promised so much work in secondary and then covid and lockdowns happened. But then September came and then January 2020 and they were like oh would you want to work in primary. I was desperate for money so said yes and then they hounded me with nursery work that wasn't even local -_- therefore, I would say if you don't want to work in primary/secondary don't budge! I will message you them now :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ArabellaMarie8
She knows that because we talked about it during my interview thing. I was in secondary all last week. I just have the fear now that she'll phone every morning asking about nurseries. It's frustrating- I know work isn't guaranteed, however, I used to get texts asking for whole weeks and now I get nothing. Only phone calls in the morning. I'm thinking of just saying I'm sorry but it's not for me, I just don't have the right personality/temperament for it. The exact same situation happened with my other agency who I ignore now because they take the piss. I signed up and they promised so much work in secondary and then covid and lockdowns happened. But then September came and then January 2020 and they were like oh would you want to work in primary. I was desperate for money so said yes and then they hounded me with nursery work that wasn't even local -_- therefore, I would say if you don't want to work in primary/secondary don't budge! I will message you them now :smile:

omg that does sound really annoying, especially because shifts at nurseries are way longer
but when i think about it, maybe they dont have school shifts because the schools arent funded, so maybe theyre trying to avoid asking for agency staff? because i know thats what my nursery is doing now
So I registered with a teaching agency around 2 months ago. I said at the meeting that the reason I am registering (because I'm with another agency) is that the other agency keeps giving me nursery. I then had 5 weeks of work in a secondary school but then that ended. I went to another two schools over a week. However, they asked me to work in a nursery today. I said yes because they had no secondary work and I was dressed and ready to go. However, I'm afraid that this will just turn into more and more nursery work. How do I turn it down without me being mean about it? They don't even text me it, they phone me in the morning.

Edit-I'm extremely grateful for the money don't get me wrong but I do not have the personality to work in a nursery.

Just say politely that you don't feel you're suited to nursery work, and ask them to contact you if they have any secondary work.

ETA: Unfortunately, secondary work will be thinner on the ground now, due to gained time etc. More schools will be using internal cover.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by fatiana
omg that does sound really annoying, especially because shifts at nurseries are way longer
but when i think about it, maybe they dont have school shifts because the schools arent funded, so maybe theyre trying to avoid asking for agency staff? because i know thats what my nursery is doing now

That's what I was thinking too because at one point the school had 9 additional agency staff in 3 days in a row. This was on top of the 3 they already had on long term placements. And tbh, I don't know why. I had to babysit year 11's for 3-4 classes when they were fine and the teacher in the next room could have watched them. Also, I've had issues with teaching assistants undermining me and taking over-so there was really no need for me to be there. I'm thinking it is something to do with money because like I said in my previous message, I was there for 5 weeks and so were 3 other cover supervisors. Staff would literally go and sit in the staffroom. Ugh I know. The school I was in on Monday-the kids left at 3pm and then the staff were kind of just there...talking. I didn't know if it was okay to leave or not but ended up leaving at 3:50pm. I ended up telling my agency that it wasn't for me but two days of waking up at 5am and having no work... I'm starting to think I shouldn't have because it's kind of a waste. I know I had 5 weeks of work and now none for two days but getting up at 5am for nothing kills me xD
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Just say politely that you don't feel you're suited to nursery work, and ask them to contact you if they have any secondary work.

ETA: Unfortunately, secondary work will be thinner on the ground now, due to gained time etc. More schools will be using internal cover.

I ended up telling them and they were very understanding. But yeah, I think work now before the end of the year may not happen so I kind of regret saying anything

Honestly I would just say sorry for the opportunity but it’s really not for me. If it’s an agency you don’t have to accept work, at least that was the case with the last few agencies I signed with.

or you could say that you’ve found work elsewhere, perhaps with another agency
I ended up telling them and they were very understanding. But yeah, I think work now before the end of the year may not happen so I kind of regret saying anything

Well, with the covid situation changing all the time, there is probably more cover than usual available in secondaries, so you never know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending