The Student Room Group

How to overcome being socially awkward in social situations?

Often times, I don’t know what to say or do in social situations and feel awkward even with friends. How can I change?
Reply 1
Fairly common problem. Try getting a copy of "How to Win Friends & Influence People". It's an older book, but still offers good advice. Best of luck!!
I had the same problem..I've overcome it slightly by just pushing myself to be more social at work even if it feels uncomfortable. I'm now fairly confident in 1 to 1 situations and small groups.
Breath firstly, when your apprehensive you take shallow breaths and that doesn't help you think clearly. If its appropriate the best thing you can do when you first approach people is to compliment one of them on something like their shoes etc (only if you genuinely mean it though). It'll relax you instantly because you've made someone else feel good. Then they'll automatically try to include you in conversations by pausing when talking and looking at you.
(edited 2 years ago)
I use the Aubrey Plaza method and just blurt out nonsense ironically. Tends to work ok.
Just have to practice talking to people and being yourself.

I've had this problem most of my life because I'm autistic. I had to really observe and study how everyone interacts with each other and build up a big bank of memories I can look back at to inform how I act when in new situations.

But a lot of the time I just ignore it and be myself. I stopped caring tbh and just say whatever I want most of the time. I don't care if anyone likes me and am much happier and feel less anxiety lol. But people do tend to like me because of how honest and authentic I am so being yourself is always best.
Reply 6
Original post by Rabbit2
Fairly common problem. Try getting a copy of "How to Win Friends & Influence People". It's an older book, but still offers good advice. Best of luck!!

Okay i will check if they have that on amazon hopefully it is useful what is it about?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I had the same problem..I've overcome it slightly by just pushing myself to be more social at work even if it feels uncomfortable. I'm now fairly confident in 1 to 1 situations and small groups.

Yeah I understand that, I do that too but it is so difficult especially when the other person is constantly speaking and I don’t what to say back to them. Also people tell me that I make them feel awkward
Reply 8
Original post by LemonDrop150
Breath firstly, when your apprehensive you take shallow breaths and that doesn't help you think clearly. If its appropriate the best thing you can do when you first approach people is to compliment one of them on something like their shoes etc (only if you genuinely mean it though). It'll relax you instantly because you've made someone else feel good. Then they'll automatically try to include you in conversations by pausing when talking and looking at you.

Hopefully this works but i just need to work on my social skills and think what to reply back to them if that makes sense
Reply 9
Original post by Jolhihilhil
I use the Aubrey Plaza method and just blurt out nonsense ironically. Tends to work ok.

What is aubrey plaza method
Original post by Chicken.M.
Just have to practice talking to people and being yourself.

I've had this problem most of my life because I'm autistic. I had to really observe and study how everyone interacts with each other and build up a big bank of memories I can look back at to inform how I act when in new situations.

But a lot of the time I just ignore it and be myself. I stopped caring tbh and just say whatever I want most of the time. I don't care if anyone likes me and am much happier and feel less anxiety lol. But people do tend to like me because of how honest and authentic I am so being yourself is always best.

Yeah that is so true thank you for this advice
Original post by Anonymous
What is aubrey plaza method

Yeah that is so true thank you for this advice

Dude look up any videos of Aubrey Plaza. She's amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending