The Student Room Group

Debate and Current Affairs

@MrDystopia as the section leader for this area of the site please can you tell us as a community how you have been representing the community to the CS.

As is fairly obvious this area has been badly neglected to the point of taking a week to be notified of the single most popular thread being closed and of course the quarantining of nearly every debate forum.

I would have thought the Section Leader of all people would have a handle on the situation.

Scroll to see replies

@04MR17 to make one aware :h:
Original post by DiddyDec
@MrDystopia as the section leader for this area of the site please can you tell us as a community how you have been representing the community to the CS.

As is fairly obvious this area has been badly neglected to the point of taking a week to be notified of the single most popular thread being closed and of course the quarantining of nearly every debate forum.

I would have thought the Section Leader of all people would have a handle on the situation.

In case you didn't know, here's a fun fact:

Section leaders are volunteers, many of whom work/study full time or have any number of other commitments. They don't live to serve this site, nor do they live to serve you. Funnily enough, this site isn't the most important thing in everyone's life at any given time. They don't get paid for the work they do here, but have spent years working behind the scenes out of the view of users like yourself to make sure this website actually functions. The reason you've been hanging around here so much is largely due to the work of the volunteers. Like the content? Thank the volunteers. Like the community? Thank the volunteers. Have a problem? Ask the CS about it.
(edited 2 years ago)
When ur hot take isn't the hot take u think it is

49107bdd4a1b28d759b3d7b0ec8b599a.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Well I cant imagine he has at all seeing as MrDystopia isnt listed as a DACA section leader anymore.
Original post by Foxehh
Well I cant imagine he has at all seeing as MrDystopia isnt listed as a DACA section leader anymore.

:confused:
MrDystopia is the D&CA Volunteer Section Leader and has been for about 4 years now.
I have no knowledge of any change to that. :nope:
Original post by Foxehh

That widget has been out of date since the year before I was born. I can confirm she is
Reply 7
Original post by chelseadagg3r
That widget has been out of date since the year before I was born. I can confirm she is

It is up to date. A new FH was added just to it a couple of weeks ago.
He used to be on it anyways, just disappeared from the list a month or so ago. If it was a mistake it should probably be fixed.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Foxehh
He used to be on it anyways, just disappeared from the list a month or so ago.

I can assure you it isn't. Some people get added, others never do. Some people remain on it long after they stop being volunteers
Original post by Foxehh
He used to be on it anyways, just disappeared from the list a month or so ago. If it was a mistake it should probably be fixed.

it's not a mistake as such, it's a huge faff to fix apparently. Another one for the CS, not the volunteers. It's done automatically relating to permissions and usergroups if I recall correctly, so isn't as simple as just adding or removing a name. We've asked, trust me, but it's not important
Reply 10
it's not a mistake as such, it's a huge faff to fix apparently. Another one for the CS, not the volunteers. It's done automatically relating to permissions and usergroups if I recall correctly, so isn't as simple as just adding or removing a name. We've asked, trust me, but it's not important

Everything seems to be a huge faff to fix on this site. You'd think they'd just take the whole thing down if they acknowledge its not up to date and just serves as extra confusion..
This is getting a little tiresome now, to be honest with you. I don't know what you think Section Leaders are or the 'power' they supposedly wield, but I feel you are misguided. SLs are entitled and often do strongly express their opinions about the directions of their section(s); but ultimately a decision to 'quarantine' a section of the site is something the Community Staff do. If they are so inclined, they will do it anyway, regardless of protests or annoyance from the Section Leader. If it is an irreconcilable difference of opinion, the CS will essentially have to respond with "thanks for all your time here, it's been great" and that's that. Key example, the closure of MHoC? I thought it was a crying shame, I expressed it too. It didn't change anything though, the decision was made. That's always the way it is.

We have opinions, we express them, however do not mistake SLs as these overbearing and all-powerful fountains of knowledge and authority. I know there were many things - countless things - that were implemented in my old section that I entirely disagreed with - what did you want me to do? Take a stand and stick it to The Man™? What would be the point? You learn very quickly that you have to suck it up and get on with the task at hand - which is mostly mentoring these days and potentially some project management.

It used to be like different, maybe 5 years ago SLs had 'power', most certainly not now. This post should go in AtCS. It's the second time you've raised this and though I know and trust MrD to be more than capable in addressing this, I still feel you're asking the wrong person. Making these public "FU" style posts to the SL because the CS want you to post in a hidden forum where a response cannot be seen will result in one thing, and one thing only: the thread will be closed. Honestly I get it, but you're wasting your time and going after the wrong person.
Original post by Foxehh
Everything seems to be a huge faff to fix on this site. You'd think they'd just take the whole thing down if they acknowledge its not up to date and just serves as extra confusion..

not up to us my friend and I don't know all the details
In case you didn't know, here's a fun fact:

Section leaders are volunteers, many of whom work/study full time or have any number of other commitments. They don't live to serve this site, nor do they live to serve you. Funnily enough, this site isn't the most important thing in everyone's life at any given time. They don't get paid for the work they do here, but have spent years working behind the scenes out of the view of users like yourself to make sure this website actually functions. The reason you've been hanging around here so much is largely due to the work of the volunteers. Like the content? Thank the volunteers. Like the community? Thank the volunteers. Have a problem? Ask the CS about it.

Section Leader are the "Leaders" of the section. If they are not leading then they should relinquish their position to someone that actually cares about the role. Simply holding the title for months is not productive if they do **** all.
Section Leader are the "Leaders" of the section. If they are not leading then they should relinquish their position to someone that actually cares about the role. Simply holding the title for months is not productive if they do **** all.

shows how much you know lol
Original post by Elizabeth II
This is getting a little tiresome now, to be honest with you. I don't know what you think Section Leaders are or the 'power' they supposedly wield, but I feel you are misguided. SLs are entitled and often do strongly express their opinions about the directions of their section(s); but ultimately a decision to 'quarantine' a section of the site is something the Community Staff do. If they are so inclined, they will do it anyway, regardless of protests or annoyance from the Section Leader. If it is an irreconcilable difference of opinion, the CS will essentially have to respond with "thanks for all your time here, it's been great" and that's that. Key example, the closure of MHoC? I thought it was a crying shame, I expressed it too. It didn't change anything though, the decision was made. That's always the way it is.

We have opinions, we express them, however do not mistake SLs as these overbearing and all-powerful fountains of knowledge and authority. I know there were many things - countless things - that were implemented in my old section that I entirely disagreed with - what did you want me to do? Take a stand and stick it to The Man™? What would be the point? You learn very quickly that you have to suck it up and get on with the task at hand - which is mostly mentoring these days and potentially some project management.

It used to be like different, maybe 5 years ago SLs had 'power', most certainly not now. This post should go in AtCS. It's the second time you've raised this and though I know and trust MrD to be more than capable in addressing this, I still feel you're asking the wrong person. Making these public "FU" style posts to the SL because the CS want you to post in a hidden forum where a response cannot be seen will result in one thing, and one thing only: the thread will be closed. Honestly I get it, but you're wasting your time and going after the wrong person.

I just want to hear from the section leader that I haven't seen in many months.

Case in point here, you don't understand the role (not your fault, the name is clearly ambiguous due to the fact we lead approximately nothing except our team). Decisions like this are made by the CS, you know that. You're going on a witch hunt for the wrong person. I cannot express this any clearer to you: you are wrong.

if you wanna be a section leader that badly apply
I just want to hear from the section leader that I haven't seen in many months.

I must echo @chelseadagg3r, TSR is always looking for new volunteers :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
shows how much you know lol

Thanks ex "section leader" you have been enlightening.

Latest