The Student Room Group

CVs + first job

Hey! Im trying to look for a job since im done with my a levels and want some experience before i start uni. Pretty much all of them ask for a CV but ive literally only finished my alevels and i havent had previous work experience/ a job.. what should i include in my cv and would it be worth doing voluntary work (should have done this last summer but couldnt due to covid + many places still dont allow it esp in the healthcare field) first just so i have something to write in my cv?

Any advice?
Reply 1
Include:
1. A levels & predicted grades
2. GCSEs, as you don’t have much experience I’d list them with English and maths first, but as you get to degree level you can just put 10 GCSEs (9-4)
3. Any skills: ms office, coding, languages, whatever you can do put it down.
4. Any online courses you’ve done.
5. Any voluntary work you’ve done.
Also include name at the top, with phone number, email, & post code. Make sure it’s ATS friendly (so no tables or fancy graphics).

I’d aim for a job first, and if you can’t get one, volunteer. You’ll have better luck finding volunteer roles but you might get lucky and get into work.
Focus on skills
This is a list
Teamwork
Patience
Resourcefulness
Numeracy/literacy skills
Communication skills
Grades and qualifications etc
Thinking skills
Courses done
Any other details
Contact information
Work experience undertaken
Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by tinygirl96
Focus on skills
This is a list
Teamwork
Patience
Resourcefulness
Numeracy/literacy skills
Communication skills
Grades and qualifications etc
Thinking skills
Courses done
Any other details
Contact information
Work experience undertaken
Good luck

You keep posting this on different threads, but someone writing a CV can't focus on skills unless they have practical examples that demonstrate them, and the skills they do put need to be in line with whatever is asked for in a job ad.

The focus needs to be on what has been done, through extra-curriculars and/or work, and how that supports the claim to be resourceful or a team player etc. A good interviewer will ask "Give me an example of a time when you..." solved a problem, got people to work as a team, not just "what skills do you have?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending