The Student Room Group

Will my future husband look down on me for not completing sixth form college?

and not getting a degree? I did AS levels and got an AS level qualification out of it and then dropped out and that was the end of my education. A BTEC or apprenticeship is looked down on and I didn’t even do a BTEC at a sixth form college, I just left altogether and after nearly 3 years of being a NEET, got a job on the kickstart scheme and I am doing voluntary work on the side with flexible working hours because the kickstart scheme job is so damn easy and I am left with so much free time that it feels like I am not even working, 3 days of the actual work and 2 days studying for courses for 25 hours a week, hardly anything but grateful and in my opinion deserves less than minimum wage but glad its still more than what the carrying out the job should be worth.

Scroll to see replies

That isn't important to me.
Reply 2
so I am assuming you are studying with The Open University then?
Reply 3
but what about asian families though? this is important to most asian families.
Reply 4
well there are people who go to uni without any sort of formal qualification, though I don’t know how given degrees are harder than anything. There are also people who come with student visa to study and go to university from a different country and maybe start at the bottom and work their way up? don’t know how it works
Reply 5
I was going to start a Traineeship to progress to an apprenticeship but given the Kickstart scheme is compulsory for those claiming universal credit and at risk of long term unemployment and I was offered the kickstart job I chose to take that job.
Reply 6
lol you don't even know who your future husband is and if you made it far enough for him to be your husband then your probably alright.
Reply 7
Original post by Askellad
lol you don't even know who your future husband is and if you made it far enough for him to be your husband then your probably alright.

don’t you think that completing sixth form and getting a degree is an important thing in Asian families though?
Original post by Anonymous
but what about asian families though? this is important to most asian families.

My mum's side is asian (chinese/filipino) and they don't decide who I date so that wouldn't matter for me. My mum's always telling me I need to be rich af so I can support a wife and kids in the future anyway because she's traditional lol.
Reply 9
What about (Asian) Muslim families? Is completing your education important?
What about (Asian) Muslim families? Is completing your education important?

It's the 21st century while that culture is still about it's ultimately not cool anymore, young people now don't care they just love who they love. Status, education, finance etc. while play some amount of role are not as important as they were. You'll find while your missing education if you make up for it in other ways then romantic partners will often enough think "she's worth it". Social exchange theory check it out.
I don't care if the girl has a degree or not, university is not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with btecs or apprenticeship. As long as you're doing something with your life and not sitting at home on benefits it doesn't bother me.
Original post by Mr T 999
I don't care if the girl has a degree or not, university is not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with btecs or apprenticeship. As long as you're doing something with your life and not sitting at home on benefits it doesn't bother me.

University is not for everyone, does this mean that some people are simply not academically gifted/not cut out for education?
I would have thought if it was a problem for someone, they wouldn't marry you
Original post by black tea
I would have thought if it was a problem for someone, they wouldn't marry you

or even date you
or even date you

guess that answers your question then
University is not for everyone, does this mean that some people are simply not academically gifted/not cut out for education?

People excel in different learning environments, some excel in the university environment and some excel in the world of work. If someone hates studying and doing exams and a degree is not needed for their chosen career then why bother going to university when they can get a job instead.

Your right about that, academics is pretty different than actual practical working skills. Not everyone is good at learning academically, some people are better off jumping into work and getting hands on. Issue is some career paths require you to be good academically (like if you wanted to be a doctor). Basically academics aint for everyone.
I know one of my cousins who has not gone to sixth form, she chose to do an apprenticeship while her siblings all did A levels and went to uni, her siblings are all focused on their school work and she used to have sex and be interested in relationships from teenage years or at least from 14 onwards and went with one boy after another. When my family heard she wasn’t going to sixth form they sort of judged her for that saying “she hasn’t gone to sixth form?” 7 years later shes married at 23 with a child and her husband didn’t go to uni either, he did an apprenticeship and changed career path.
my cousin got married at 20.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending