The Student Room Group

Are you meant to send 'xx' at the end of your sentence if you are interested?

According to many friends of mine, you are meant to type 'xx' at the end of a message to a girl if you are interested in them to show them that you are otherwise they'll think that something is up apparently. Now I'm asking this question here to know to what extent this is true or not. If it is true, it's really mad to me as I honestly didn't know.

I've not had it amazingly well when it comes to messaging as I'll for example reply to a girls story and then they'll reply back but then when I ask a follow up question they don't look at it, though I've never used 'xx' ever when trying to message them. I've just kept it professional really. Though like I said before, from a few friends of mine they are saying that not writing 'xx' isn't good if you want to show a girl you are interested in them and what not and that it hinders your chances. As I'm 17 years old, I'd like to ask girls that are like 17-19 really what they think about this so I know in the future what to do when starting a conversation with a girl on social media. That's probably the age range I'd go for right now hence why I want to know what girls of this age think.

I'll mention right now that I'm a guy aswell.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MARV5894
According to many friends of mine, you are meant to type 'xx' at the end of a message to a girl if you are interested in them to show them that you are otherwise they'll think that something is up apparently. Now I'm asking this question here to know to what extent this is true or not. If it is true, it's really mad to me as I honestly didn't know.

I've not had it amazingly well when it comes to messaging as I'll for example reply to a girls story and then they'll reply back but then when I ask a follow up question they don't look at it, though I've never used 'xx' ever when trying to message them. I've just kept it professional really. Though like I said before, from a few friends of mine they are saying that not writing 'xx' isn't good if you want to show a girl you are interested in them and what not and that it hinders your chances. As I'm 17 years old, I'd like to ask girls that are like 17-19 really what they think about this so I know in the future what to do when starting a conversation with a girl on social media. That's probably the age range I'd go for right now hence why I want to know what girls of this age think.

I'll mention right now that I'm a guy aswell.

No, you're meant to send xxxxxxxxxxx
nah I don't type any 'x's at all. If I want a girl to know I'm interested I just tell them lol.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
No, you're meant to send xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm just going to assume that you are trolling. If you know the answer please answer that's all I'll say.
...no marv, your friends are doughnuts.
I'm just going to assume that you are trolling. If you know the answer please answer that's all I'll say.

Look mate, if you were a girl do you think it would really matter? I hope not. If she likes you she will date you, if not she won't. Why would someone care if you add xx or not. Worlds gone soft.
Reply 6
Original post by Chicken.M.
nah I don't type any 'x's at all. If I want a girl to know I'm interested I just tell them lol.

So basically if you are interested in a girl you've seen on social media, what you'll do is send her a message saying it? Yeah not gonna lie that's probably not for me that as I just don't see there being a high success rate for me. Wouldn't say I'm ugly but wouldn't call myself 10/10 either. Probs around average or 6/10 really.
I say xx without meaning. It's just me being kind to the person. Just like I call ppl boo or hon, doesn't mean I like them. If I like someone I straight up tell them. xx
(edited 2 years ago)
So basically if you are interested in a girl you've seen on social media, what you'll do is send her a message saying it? Yeah not gonna lie that's probably not for me that as I just don't see there being a high success rate for me. Wouldn't say I'm ugly but wouldn't call myself 10/10 either. Probs around average or 6/10 really.

The only social media I have is facebook, but yeah, that is kind of what I've done before. Usually theres a bit of back and forth first though.

Well my method will save you a lot of time and energy wasting time trying to flirt with girls that aren't attracted to you lol.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by V℮rsions
...no marv, your friends are doughnuts.

That's what I'm thinking but I've not clue why theyd all say the same thing.

Look mate, if you were a girl do you think it would really matter? I hope not. If she likes you she will date you, if not she won't. Why would someone care if you add xx or not. Worlds gone soft.

From what friends and other people have been saying, using xx shows that you've got some sort of attraction towards them whereas if you don't say it they think something's up. All these people have had a lot of success in dating and all that though I guess.
Reply 10
So if I'm interested in a girl on social media, would you say it's better to just say so straight away out of the blue than just use a convo starter n use 'xx'.

Original post by SammysBunnies
I say xx without meaning. It's just me being kind to the person. Just like I call ppl boo or hon, doesn't mean I like them. If I like someone I straight up tell them. xx

Ok but like I said I wasn't sure whether to use 'xx' when messaging a new girl for the first time. By any chance are any of you 17-19 so I'll know from people around my age what they think?
From what friends and other people have been saying, using xx shows that you've got some sort of attraction towards them whereas if you don't say it they think something's up. All these people have had a lot of success in dating and all that though I guess.

Mate, they're not celebrities or anything. They are nobodies in the real world. The girls were probably interested in them so gave them a shot. There is a 99.9999% chance the girls would have dated them had they not used 'xx'. If you're really that insecure about it do it. If you get rejected you'll see it makes no difference.
Reply 12
Original post by Chicken.M.
The only social media I have is facebook, but yeah, that is kind of what I've done before. Usually theres a bit of back and forth first though.

Well my method will save you a lot of time and energy wasting time trying to flirt with girls that aren't attracted to you lol.

According to my friends though and other people to let them know you are interested when you first message you are meant to write 'xx' at the end which is what I was wondering about. In fairness it's worked for these guys and they are finding it very easy to start messaging them meanwhile I'm struggling to get a reply 😂 and all I'm doing is replying to stories asking questions about it.
So if I'm interested in a girl on social media, would you say it's better to just say so straight away out of the blue than just use a convo starter n use 'xx'.

Ok but like I said I wasn't sure whether to use 'xx' when messaging a new girl for the first time. By any chance are any of you 17-19 so I'll know from people around my age what they think?

I am 17 years old. You can use "xx" if you want but no guarantee that the lass is going to catch onto that. Depends how she is as a person and how she sees it. If you really like her then tell her. Some guys do use "xx" with me who are interested in me clearly but some don't. You do whatever you want. :smile: xx
Reply 14
Original post by SammysBunnies
I am 17 years old. You can use "xx" if you want but no guarantee that the lass is going to catch onto that. Depends how she is as a person and how she sees it. If you really like her then tell her. Some guys do use "xx" with me who are interested in me clearly but some don't. You do whatever you want. :smile: xx

I'm just wondering why with all my friends that do it they've got such high reply rates whereas for me I don't and I'm struggling to get replies usually after the first one 😂. Hence why I was thinking maybe it is something to do with that and that girls don't think you are into them if you don't say it.

Would you say 'xx' makes the girl more likely to want to reply back or that it doesn't change anything really though? A similarity between all my guy friends is that they all do this and get a lot of interest like I said
I think more than your lack of xs it might be your professional attitude which is putting people off. People like fun people. You don't have to be a comedian but taking yourself ultra seriously isn't usually how you start a nice conversation.
i think Xs are cringe and so childish. if you like someone let them know!! Get to know them and if u like them then communicate it
Reply 17
Original post by Jolhihilhil
I think more than your lack of xs it might be your professional attitude which is putting people off. People like fun people. You don't have to be a comedian but taking yourself ultra seriously isn't usually how you start a nice conversation.

It's hard not to really as I usually try to iniate a convo by replying to their story on Instagram meaning that I can only really start off by saying generic things similar to what was on their story

i think Xs are cringe and so childish. if you like someone let them know!! Get to know them and if u like them then communicate it

That's my point though. I've not been able to get to know them. Whereas my friends that have used xx do which made me wonder about it. Usually I try to reply to a girls story and then they'll reply but then when I ask a follow up question I get ignored
It doesn't hurt however it is meant
Reply 19
Original post by Prettyfrock
It doesn't hurt however it is meant

So I'm meant to put 'xx' when messaging a girl if I'm interested? Aight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending