The Student Room Group

University Level Essay tips

Hi. I hope you’re well. I am currently studying History and Politics at university. I going to my final year in September. This year my essays haven’t been the best, so I am worried about my classification. I was wondering whether anyone has any tips to securing a high 2:1 in essays? Essay structure? I’ve heard a lot about critical analysis. What does it mean by that in the context of History and Politics? Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by ForeverYoungx
Hi. I hope you’re well. I am currently studying History and Politics at university. I going to my final year in September. This year my essays haven’t been the best, so I am worried about my classification. I was wondering whether anyone has any tips to securing a high 2:1 in essays? Essay structure? I’ve heard a lot about critical analysis. What does it mean by that in the context of History and Politics? Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Critical Analysis is interrogating an interpretation.
Imagine you're in a law court, the Historian you've just read is in the witness box. You must cross examine their argument, try to weaken the legitimacy of their point in front of the jury. You aren't presenting a counter argument "on the other hand you might say...". Instead you need to say "Smith does not appear to have considered X and there is no mention of Y within her chapter".
Original post by 04MR17
Critical Analysis is interrogating an interpretation.
Imagine you're in a law court, the Historian you've just read is in the witness box. You must cross examine their argument, try to weaken the legitimacy of their point in front of the jury. You aren't presenting a counter argument "on the other hand you might say...". Instead you need to say "Smith does not appear to have considered X and there is no mention of Y within her chapter".

Thank you so much for the well developed explanation, I appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending