The Student Room Group

How do you know what your predicted grades will be? Help!

I’m a year 12 parent and I’m just trying to understand the application process to UCAS. My son’s school have said in the strongest terms that they will not discuss their predicted grades on the UCAS form so how do you know what ‘level’ of entry requirements course to apply for? Eg. You think they are going to predict you AAA so you apply for courses with that entry requirement, perhaps choosing an ABB course for your safety choice, but unbeknown to you the school predict you BBB, so you may not end up with any offers and you won’t know whether it is what the school have predicted or your reference or your personal statement for the lack of offers? I’m finding this all so bewildering!

Thank you in advance.
Hello! That’s quite odd, when they say they won’t discuss does that mean they’re non negotiable but you’ll be able to see them, or you won’t see them at all?
This may mean that they will nor discuss them with parents - ie. please do not phone individual teachers and beg, nag or argue.
Its very rare that schools will not disclose them to students - though I do know it happens, and I find it equally daft.
I suggest that you contact Head of Sixth or the Headteacher to clarify this.
Thank you for your replies. Sorry I wasn’t clear. The school have said they won’t disclose what the predicted grade will be and almost threatened that any enquiries could result in being penalised somehow 😳. We don’t harass the teachers at all. I’ve probably contacted the school 3 times in six years but each time met with a fobbing off email. Should have moved my son years ago. ☹️
Thank you for your replies. Sorry I wasn’t clear. The school have said they won’t disclose what the predicted grade will be and almost threatened that any enquiries could result in being penalised somehow 😳. We don’t harass the teachers at all. I’ve probably contacted the school 3 times in six years but each time met with a fobbing off email. Should have moved my son years ago. ☹️
Original post by Twinsmum1812

It's a very foolish policy on the part of your son's school. As you note, students can't apply to appropriate choices if they don't know where they should be aiming.

I would note that once the predictions are input, your son can call UCAS and they will disclose them to him, (making the school's policy even more of a big waste of everyone's time). I'm a bit fuzzy on the timings of when the choices vs. predictions are input, but one option would be to just pick a single choice initially, (a reasonably safe one), have the school enter the predictions and then call UCAS to confirm what they are. Your son would then have until January 15th to add another four suitable choices, (presuming he's not applying to medicine or other programme with another specific deadline).
That is a great idea thank you. I didn’t know whether UCAS would disclose them either so good to know. My son goes to a very over subscribed grammar school and I think they’re attitude is that we should be grateful they are are and not to question anything. Their blanket emails are downright hostile too although some of the teachers are nice, but they still stonewall you if you ask anything, like it’s company policy not to engage with anyone!

Original post by Admit-One
It's a very foolish policy on the part of your son's school. As you note, students can't apply to appropriate choices if they don't know where they should be aiming.

I would note that once the predictions are input, your son can call UCAS and they will disclose them to him, (making the school's policy even more of a big waste of everyone's time). I'm a bit fuzzy on the timings of when the choices vs. predictions are input, but one option would be to just pick a single choice initially, (a reasonably safe one), have the school enter the predictions and then call UCAS to confirm what they are. Your son would then have until January 15th to add another four suitable choices, (presuming he's not applying to medicine or other programme with another specific deadline).
I meant their attitude not they’re!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending