The Student Room Group

Do 2nd year Uni grades matter that much???!

Just got all mine back and I’m extremely disappointed with one module. I got 48% ( really bad, I know. This is the lowest i have ever got. I am always at high 2:1 and 1st grades.)

Is it still possible to get a 2:1 overall if I have a 1st in 2 modules, and 2:1 in 3??

Please help 🙁🙁 I am desperate to graduate with a 1st
seems very possible. but also depends how they calculate your degree - is it a % of each year weighted say 60/40? or my law degree does that you need x credits at say first and no bad ones to get a first?

so you need to dig out the way a degree is done for your specific course.
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
seems very possible. but also depends how they calculate your degree - is it a % of each year weighted say 60/40? or my law degree does that you need x credits at say first and no bad ones to get a first?

so you need to dig out the way a degree is done for your specific course.

I have no idea! Thank you, I will try to find out, I haven’t heard anything about credits so I don’t think it’s that. I hope it’s fixable 😬
Original post by Anonymous
Just got all mine back and I’m extremely disappointed with one module. I got 48% ( really bad, I know. This is the lowest i have ever got. I am always at high 2:1 and 1st grades.)

Is it still possible to get a 2:1 overall if I have a 1st in 2 modules, and 2:1 in 3??

Please help 🙁🙁 I am desperate to graduate with a 1st

Hi!

Most universities and courses will count your second year as a percentage, which in combination with your third year will count towards your final grade at graduation. Whether this is 40/60 or 50/50 depends on your uni/course.

A 1st would still be possible if you were to get more firsts in your third year. Plus your dissertation usually counts for a significant chunk of this. So if you work solidly throughout your year on your diss you'll be fine.

It's really useful to speak with your tutor to pinpoint where you need to make improvements to get those first. It could be one simple thing that you need to change for you to see improvements. Remember that that is what your tutor is there for.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Repn:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Most universities and courses will count your second year as a percentage, which in combination with your third year will count towards your final grade at graduation. Whether this is 40/60 or 50/50 depends on your uni/course.

A 1st would still be possible if you were to get more firsts in your third year. Plus your dissertation usually counts for a significant chunk of this. So if you work solidly throughout your year on your diss you'll be fine.

It's really useful to speak with your tutor to pinpoint where you need to make improvements to get those first. It could be one simple thing that you need to change for you to see improvements. Remember that that is what your tutor is there for.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Repn:smile:

Hi, thank you!

Do you know if it’s possible for a course to have a 20/80 classification that makes up the final grade? I think that’s what it’s like for my Uni (after googling it). I’m still going to get in touch with my tutor
Hi, thank you!

Do you know if it’s possible for a course to have a 20/80 classification that makes up the final grade? I think that’s what it’s like for my Uni (after googling it). I’m still going to get in touch with my tutor

Hi!

I've personally never heard of this, but it could definitely be possible.
Yes, it's a good idea to speak to your tutor to clarify this.

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I've personally never heard of this, but it could definitely be possible.
Yes, it's a good idea to speak to your tutor to clarify this.

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thanks. I just emailed her and got an automated response straight away saying shes on a leave until the 25th. Lol. Unlucky guess I will have to wait
The policy will be freely available on your student website surely? Just google your university + degree classification
Reply 8
Original post by Catherine1973
The policy will be freely available on your student website surely? Just google your university + degree classification

Yeah, I tried that it’s said it’s 20/80. But the document was from 2013 and usually it’s 40/60 or 50/50. So I was a bit unsure. I’ve emailed my tutor, hopefully she will get back to me after her leave
Yeah, I tried that it’s said it’s 20/80. But the document was from 2013 and usually it’s 40/60 or 50/50. So I was a bit unsure. I’ve emailed my tutor, hopefully she will get back to me after her leave

Which university are you at?
Original post by ageshallnot
Which university are you at?

Not a TSR standard one- University of Bradford
Not a TSR standard one- University of Bradford

It appears that 20-80 is still the standard ratio over 2nd-3rd years. Bradford only count the best 100 credits for each of 2nd and 3rd years - in effect allowing you to ignore your worst module in each year. So it looks as though your 48 won't be counted. In addition, you only need 68 overall for a First. I got all this from the document below, but you need to double check.

https://www.bradford.ac.uk/media-v8/site/governance/regulations/Regulation-2-Ug-Awards-2020-21-(FInal).pdf
(edited 2 years ago)

Universities have a lot of flexibility around how things get weighted.

I found this on Bristol's web site: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/academic-quality/documents/taught-code/annexes/weightings-for-degree-classification.pdf which shows the different weightings they use. For 3-year courses, the weightings are either 25/75 or 40/60 depending on the course.

So I wouldn't be surprised to find a university doing a 20/80 weighting. It doesn't seem to be significantly out of kilter.

You could contact your department/school's admin staff. It's quite likely they'll be involved in preparing paperwork for exam boards, so they might be able to help with this.
Original post by ageshallnot
It appears that 20-80 is still the standard ratio over 2nd-3rd years. Bradford only count the best 100 credits for each of 2nd and 3rd years - in effect allowing you to ignore your worst module in each year. So it looks as though your 48 won't be counted. In addition, you only need 68 overall for a First. I got all this from the document below, but you need to double check.

https://www.bradford.ac.uk/media-v8/site/governance/regulations/Regulation-2-Ug-Awards-2020-21-(FInal).pdf

Thanks so much, the one I found was from 2013. But didn’t understand that while ‘100 credits’ thing.

I had no idea I only needed 68 for a first. That means I actually have 3 1sts! This has really put my mind at ease so thanks again.
Original post by martin7
Universities have a lot of flexibility around how things get weighted.

I found this on Bristol's web site: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/academic-quality/documents/taught-code/annexes/weightings-for-degree-classification.pdf which shows the different weightings they use. For 3-year courses, the weightings are either 25/75 or 40/60 depending on the course.

So I wouldn't be surprised to find a university doing a 20/80 weighting. It doesn't seem to be significantly out of kilter.

You could contact your department/school's admin staff. It's quite likely they'll be involved in preparing paperwork for exam boards, so they might be able to help with this.

Thank you very much. I did email but it’s just a waiting game until my tutor is back at work.

It appears to be a 20/80 type of calculation that determines the final grade for my Uni. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing in the long run but rn I feel pretty relieved that I don’t have to worry too much about my one bad module lol

Quick Reply