The Student Room Group

Law at Brighton uni

Hi everyone, I am new to this page and would appreciate any answers, so my question is what is the law course like at Uni, in particular Brighton? And I currently study sociology, criminology and English at A level and was wondering also if it is a disadvantage if i dont study law at A level?
Hey, I’m doing law in September and didn’t do it at alevel. (I did sociology, English lit and healthcare)law doesn’t require specific alevels so do what you enjoy/ can get a good grade in :smile: Also professors will teach assuming you have no prior knowledge of the subject
Original post by Oatmilkidk
Hey, I’m doing law in September and didn’t do it at alevel. (I did sociology, English lit and healthcare)law doesn’t require specific alevels so do what you enjoy/ can get a good grade in :smile: Also professors will teach assuming you have no prior knowledge of the subject.

Thank you for your response, ok that’s good to hear, good luck when you start law in September I’d like to hear how the course is 🙂
Original post by Richardbannon
Hi everyone, I am new to this page and would appreciate any answers, so my question is what is the law course like at Uni, in particular Brighton? And I currently study sociology, criminology and English at A level and was wondering also if it is a disadvantage if i dont study law at A level?

Definitely not a disadvantage :smile:

I did Law at Brighton but switched to sociology. Not so much the course, it just wasn't for me!

Good luck in all your exams!
My friend who was aiming for a place at a top law school was told at all of her open days to not study A level Law as it is actually kinda taught wrong, so it’s more work for them and you in first year to get it right rather than not take a level law and come in with a blank slate and nothing taught the way they don’t want it. So yeah, go for it. But do you mean Brighton uni or Sussex? They’re 2 different unis and Brighton is more creative. Sussex is much higher ranked with better quality of education and teaching.
Original post by Pink Unicorn
Definitely not a disadvantage :smile:

I did Law at Brighton but switched to sociology. Not so much the course, it just wasn't for me!

Good luck in all your exams!

That’s a relief, ahh right that’s fair enough and thank you!
Original post by Googley_eyes
A level Law as it is actually kinda taught wrong

This is very true!

I did Law at Alevel and it was taught wrong and totally skewed my judgement about what Law at uni would be like!

:rolleyes:
Original post by Googley_eyes
My friend who was aiming for a place at a top law school was told at all of her open days to not study A level Law as it is actually kinda taught wrong, so it’s more work for them and you in first year to get it right rather than not take a level law and come in with a blank slate and nothing taught the way they don’t want it. So yeah, go for it. But do you mean Brighton uni or Sussex? They’re 2 different unis and Brighton is more creative. Sussex is much higher ranked with better quality of education and teaching.

Ahh right thank you for that I didn’t know that. I mean Sussex university ok will look into Sussex
Ahh right thank you for that I didn’t know that. I mean Sussex university ok will look into Sussex

Yeah I’m going to Sussex next year. I did a year at a more ‘prestigious’ uni but it was awful, they only cared about their ranking so the actual teaching was very poor. Sussex is one of the best unis that isn’t in the RG bubble, it’s better than some RG unis in many courses and has a good TEF score so it should be great. It’s like Surrey and a few other unis, they focus a bit more on the teaching than the research they produce so even though they’re amazing unis they just don’t qualify for RG level of professional research. But for Law and humanities that doesn’t matter anyways.

Hello @Richardbannon,

At Sussex, you’re taught by research-active faculty and will join a vibrant community with an active student law body. You may undertake training to offer legal advice to the public (under supervision) and, through the Sussex Law Clinics, you can gain valuable work experience of the law in action before you graduate. We also have links with leading law firms that sponsor our student competitions in national and international mooting, criminal advocacy, client interviewing, negotiation, mediation and legal debating.

The University of Sussex is in the Top 20 in the UK for Law (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021), which makes Sussex an institution worthy of consideration and indicates our quality of teaching. Please have a look at the Law LLB course page to see the courses in more detail. You can also talk to one of our Student Ambassadors online via the Unibuddy Chat Platform to learn more about their experience studying at Sussex.

The University of Sussex is incredibly diverse, with students and staff coming from over 100 different countries. We have more than 200 societies and clubs to choose from (Sports, Societies & Media) and the Student Union is always putting on events where you can find like-minded people and try something new. The campus is surrounded by the South Downs National Park where you can take walks and relax, and the lively city of Brighton is less than 10 mins away from the campus via a train so it's easily accessible to get into town. On-campus, we also have a number of shops, bars and cafes run by the Student Union.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending