The Student Room Group

How many years do I have.

Hello,

Let me explain my problem, a few years ago I decided to study in the UK but I needed a foundation year as I didn't have something equivalent to A levels. Consequently I applied to a BSc degree with an integrated foundation year. That would be 4 years in total.

Anyway, In my final year I had some severe mental health problems, and long story short, I couldn't finish that year. I wanted to ask for a leave of absence but I was so unwell I couldn't even do that. So I ended up with a DipHE.

It's been a few yeas and thankfully I managed to put my life back together. And now I am trying to fix this and top up my DipHE to a BSc.
I know students normally get a "gift year" but I have found some unfortunate information that the formula to calculate how many years I have left is
(OD +1) PC
Which would leave me without any years left despite not using any extra years, because I needed a foundation year.

Confusingly enough, there is an other formula that goes like
(D+X) PrC
Where X is "the ordinary duration of the preliminary course(s) minus one, if the preliminary course(s) was three years or more."

I am not sure how to calculate how many years I have. Can someone from SFE please explain this?
For full time study then you won’t get funding for another year. Even if you can get evidence of compelling personal reasons leading to you dropping out your foundation year on your previous course would push you over the limit.
You would still be eligible for a maintenance loan.

Your best option would be to try to find somewhere to study your “final year” part time instead of full time. Part time funding has a much larger allowance for previous study and you would comfortably fit the eligibility for part time funding for another 2 years to top up.

The calculation you have found for topping up Foundation Degrees/HNDs wouldn’t apply to you as there has been too much of a gap since you left your last course.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response, let me comment on some things.

> Even if you can get evidence of compelling personal reasons leading to you dropping out your foundation year on your previous course would push you over the limit.

I never dropped out of my foundation year. I just wasn't able to finish the final year. Also as far as I understand students normally get a "gift year" (of which I got zero) without any mitigating circumstances whatsoever.

>The calculation you have found for topping up Foundation Degrees/HNDs wouldn’t apply to you as there has been too much of a gap since you left your last course.

I never saw anything about a time gap requirement. It would be helpful if you can provide me with a source that says that, so I can assess my situation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Would any of the SFC reps lend their expertise to this thread?
Original post by Javascript_
Hello,

Let me explain my problem, a few years ago I decided to study in the UK but I needed a foundation year as I didn't have something equivalent to A levels. Consequently I applied to a BSc degree with an integrated foundation year. That would be 4 years in total.

Anyway, In my final year I had some severe mental health problems, and long story short, I couldn't finish that year. I wanted to ask for a leave of absence but I was so unwell I couldn't even do that. So I ended up with a DipHE.

It's been a few yeas and thankfully I managed to put my life back together. And now I am trying to fix this and top up my DipHE to a BSc.
I know students normally get a "gift year" but I have found some unfortunate information that the formula to calculate how many years I have left is
(OD +1) PC
Which would leave me without any years left despite not using any extra years, because I needed a foundation year.

Confusingly enough, there is an other formula that goes like
(D+X) PrC
Where X is "the ordinary duration of the preliminary course(s) minus one, if the preliminary course(s) was three years or more."

I am not sure how to calculate how many years I have. Can someone from SFE please explain this?

Would any of the SFC reps lend their expertise to this thread?

Hi,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold. (including what you already mentioned)

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold. (including what you already mentioned)

Thanks, Isaac

Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me.

1. I am not sure yet of what places would accept me to with my circumstances. However, for the purposes of this question let's go with Open University, BSc Combined Stem. It is a broad degree with a standardised credit transfer process.
2. I am 27.
3. I have an EEA/EU nationality. My status in the UK is indefinite leave to remain aka EUSS Settled Status, and I acquired it this calendar year. I am in full time employment.
4. I studied one " integrated foundation year" then three years towards a BSc and but only hold a DipHE.
Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me.

1. I am not sure yet of what places would accept me to with my circumstances. However, for the purposes of this question let's go with Open University, BSc Combined Stem. It is a broad degree with a standardised credit transfer process.
2. I am 27.
3. I have an EEA/EU nationality. My status in the UK is indefinite leave to remain aka EUSS Settled Status, and I acquired it this calendar year. I am in full time employment.
4. I studied one " integrated foundation year" then three years towards a BSc and but only hold a DipHE.

Full time undergraduate students can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study
Part time undergraduate students can receive funding for up to 16 years.

Open University courses are classed as part time.

A few points to consider regarding previous study for part-time;

-A student cannot take more than 4 times the length of the full time equivalent
-A student will be made ineligible once the student is unable to complete their course within 4 times the length of the full time equivalent
-A student cannot take more than 16 years part time funding
-Once a student’s previous study and year of study takes them over 16 years of funding the application will be zero assessed

From your post you have 4 years of previous full time study and you hold a DipHE which is a level 4 qualification.
You now want to study a part time level 6 course.

You will be funded due to your course being higher than the level 5 qualification you have already gained.
You can only apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, no Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a physical university.

So the answer to your question is that you can receive up to 16 years of funding for your new BSC course at the Open University.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Isaac
Full time undergraduate students can receive funding for the length of the course + 1 additional year - any previous study
Part time undergraduate students can receive funding for up to 16 years.

Open University courses are classed as part time.

A few points to consider regarding previous study for part-time;

-A student cannot take more than 4 times the length of the full time equivalent
-A student will be made ineligible once the student is unable to complete their course within 4 times the length of the full time equivalent
-A student cannot take more than 16 years part time funding
-Once a student’s previous study and year of study takes them over 16 years of funding the application will be zero assessed

From your post you have 4 years of previous full time study and you hold a DipHE which is a level 4 qualification.
You now want to study a part time level 6 course.

You will be funded due to your course being higher than the level 5 qualification you have already gained.
You can only apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, no Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a physical university.

So the answer to your question is that you can receive up to 16 years of funding for your new BSC course at the Open University.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your answer.

I just want to confirm one thing.
Does that mean Open University courses are classed as part time even if I am studying all the 120 credits for the academic year that I need to top up to level 6? Or do you mean to say you recommend I take less credits per year to be classed as part time?
Thank you for your answer.

I just want to confirm one thing.
Does that mean Open University courses are classed as part time even if I am studying all the 120 credits for the academic year that I need to top up to level 6? Or do you mean to say you recommend I take less credits per year to be classed as part time?

Open University students are classed as part time. Even if you study full time intensity.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending