The Student Room Group

Which degree is better, history or politics?

I'm in a position where I've already applied to study history, but I've started thinking politics might be more useful in terms of getting a good job in the future compared to history. I guess I'm concerned that although i enjoy the subject, I might have a better chance with politics, which also seems interesting. It'd be nice if someone could give insight to the pros and cons of each degree, or some advice!
Original post by M'butt
I'm in a position where I've already applied to study history, but I've started thinking politics might be more useful in terms of getting a good job in the future compared to history. I guess I'm concerned that although i enjoy the subject, I might have a better chance with politics, which also seems interesting. It'd be nice if someone could give insight to the pros and cons of each degree, or some advice!

History.
It depends on your employment ambitions, personal enthusiasm for the subject and sometimes which unis you are applying to for undergrad.
Original post by M'butt

Hey @M'butt,

I am a little bit biased here as a Politics and IR student - but for me politics would slightly win it for me over history. Back in college when we were talking about applying for Universities I was initially thinking history over politics but I am glad I chose my course now.

Politics and International Relations is an incredibly broad topic and I would recommend choosing a course based on the modules. I have found during my time at Hull that there has been a lot of history in my modules, mostly 19th and 20th century with some Thucydides and some earlier periods referenced fun, but this is used to help illustrate political theories and discuss them rather than have exclusive looks in depth at the historical events themselves. Depending on where you go for politics and which strand of politics you do does add a great deal of difference in what you are studying, at Hull we have modules on the United Nations, Seapower, America, the EU, the global economy, electoral voting systems, political philosophy - just to name a few.

In terms of careers there can be some overlap between them - for instance a possible career choice afterwards is the Civil Service (usually via the Civil Service Fast Stream) but I know a history student who is also considering applying for this too. Graduates from Politics at Hull also tend to go into all sorts of careers from the Armed Forces, to the media and Hull has a very heavy presence in Westminster ranging from MPs and Lords to Civil Servants, aides and other staffers (the Hull Mafia it is formally known as).

I have included links to our School of Politics and History Department at Hull so you can check out our courses. At Hull we also have an option of doing History and Politics so you can get the best of both worlds (it also shows how close the two fields are):

History - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/history-ba-hons
Politics - https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/politics-and-international-studies

Also if you would like further information about the courses and more information on career aspects and what studying that course is like here are the contact details for a current history student and myself if you have any further questions.

Politics and IR - https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-hull/buddies/students/5ebdc316e5c56d101967b464?buddyPosition=share
History - https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-hull/buddies/students/5fce593878c3e105489ec50e?buddyPosition=share

However to jump back on the fence I would recommend having a look at the module outlines, speaking to academics and students at the universities you are interested and if you can get a hold of any reading lists - those are fantastic indicators of what exactly they will be teaching you on that course. At the end of the day choose something you are interested in and are passionate about studying and a University that really appeals to you.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions feel free to reach out to me on the unibuddy link above.

Isaac
Politics and International Relations Student (2nd Year)
University of Hull Student Representative
Reply 4
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hey @M'butt,

I am a little bit biased here as a Politics and IR student - but for me politics would slightly win it for me over history. Back in college when we were talking about applying for Universities I was initially thinking history over politics but I am glad I chose my course now.

Politics and International Relations is an incredibly broad topic and I would recommend choosing a course based on the modules. I have found during my time at Hull that there has been a lot of history in my modules, mostly 19th and 20th century with some Thucydides and some earlier periods referenced fun, but this is used to help illustrate political theories and discuss them rather than have exclusive looks in depth at the historical events themselves. Depending on where you go for politics and which strand of politics you do does add a great deal of difference in what you are studying, at Hull we have modules on the United Nations, Seapower, America, the EU, the global economy, electoral voting systems, political philosophy - just to name a few.

In terms of careers there can be some overlap between them - for instance a possible career choice afterwards is the Civil Service (usually via the Civil Service Fast Stream) but I know a history student who is also considering applying for this too. Graduates from Politics at Hull also tend to go into all sorts of careers from the Armed Forces, to the media and Hull has a very heavy presence in Westminster ranging from MPs and Lords to Civil Servants, aides and other staffers (the Hull Mafia it is formally known as).

I have included links to our School of Politics and History Department at Hull so you can check out our courses. At Hull we also have an option of doing History and Politics so you can get the best of both worlds (it also shows how close the two fields are):

History - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/history-ba-hons
Politics - https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/politics-and-international-studies

Also if you would like further information about the courses and more information on career aspects and what studying that course is like here are the contact details for a current history student and myself if you have any further questions.

Politics and IR - https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-hull/buddies/students/5ebdc316e5c56d101967b464?buddyPosition=share
History - https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-hull/buddies/students/5fce593878c3e105489ec50e?buddyPosition=share

However to jump back on the fence I would recommend having a look at the module outlines, speaking to academics and students at the universities you are interested and if you can get a hold of any reading lists - those are fantastic indicators of what exactly they will be teaching you on that course. At the end of the day choose something you are interested in and are passionate about studying and a University that really appeals to you.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions feel free to reach out to me on the unibuddy link above.

Isaac
Politics and International Relations Student (2nd Year)
University of Hull Student Representative

Thank you so much for the in depth reply!
I've decided to stick to History since its the subject i overall enjoy. And knowing that the two subjects tend to overlap in terms of jobs is definutely reassuring since its the job aspect im worried :smile: I've been seeing a lot of talk about useless degrees and how History/Politics tends to be listed among these, so seeing students having career aspects regardless helps me feel more comfortable with my decision too. Again, thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on your employment ambitions, personal enthusiasm for the subject and sometimes which unis you are applying to for undergrad.

See, I know I'd absolutely love a career directly involved with history like researching specific eras or working for a museum. But looking into it, a very small percentage of people end up working for jobs related to history so knowing if I'll be able to have options in other fields is a big worry even if I am enthusiastic about my degree. I know my friends brother is interning for at a bank despite having a degree in geography so just having a degree is good, but I'm still worried that although I'm passionate I'm limiting myself and less likely to actually be employed. Though, luckily I am sticking to history since I'm far more passionate :smile: so thank you for that reply!
Original post by M'butt

Hi @M'butt,
I've noticed you decided to go for History! That's exciting, I also study history. I just wanted to mention that I know many unis, including Southampton, have options to do joint honours History and Politics if that would appeal to you? Also, at the Uni of Southampton, you could do History with a minor in Politics (or vice versa).

I hope that helps! If you have any questions about the history course here at Southampton (or generally) please feel free to ask :smile:

Daisy (an Official University of Southampton Rep) :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
It depends on what you enjoy. Both are considered strong degrees and both are valuable. I’ve come to realise many places only care that you have a degree and not what your degree is in. Unless you want to go into further academia I’d say it doesn’t really matter that much. Do what you enjoy, and you’ll probably find you’ll get better grades if you have a passion for what you’re studying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending