The Student Room Group

archaeology or nursing

Ive been planning recently about going to CCCU to do archeology, I was thinking of doing a nursing degree since I'm doing HSC but I'm too young at 19.

Does anyone have any tips on this course and whats the average pay after qualified. is it a worthful degree
Original post by billsj
Ive been planning recently about going to CCCU to do archeology, I was thinking of doing a nursing degree since I'm doing HSC but I'm too young at 19.

Does anyone have any tips on this course and whats the average pay after qualified. is it a worthful degree

@billsj
Hello! I currently teach on a Nursing and Midwifery program so I might be able to help.

If I remember correctly, a HSC is equivalent to an A Level in the UK. In terms of nursing, the majority of students have a typical A level profile of 2 science subjects of Biology and chemistry and a social science like Psychology or Sociology. The main thing you need is the correct number of UCAS tarrif points which come from your subject grades. Another key thing for Nursing in the UK as well as this is to have a good GCSE's (or international equivalent) in English and Maths, you also need Science for Midwifery.

A strong personal statement for your UCAS application is also a big advantage. It is worth looking at the professional standards on the Nursing and Midwifery Council website and threading some of your experiences through them for the statement.

Archaeology is a great subject; however there are very very limited employment opportunities afterwards - there was a story recently in the news about an archaeology department somewhere like Sheffield closing down due to a cut in funding.

A key selling point of a nursing degree is the employment opportunities afterwards in both the NHS and the private sector

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
ive missed alot of school during my secondary school I only did yr 11.

I have
Maths-4
English lang - 5
English Lit - 4
Combined science - 3
Physics - 3
HSC Diploma (MM/DM)
Public service Diploma (predicted D*D*)
I'm ALSO A YOUNG CARER
volunteer at a farm 3-7 hrs per week 1/2 days per week
volunteer at a carers home 2-15 hrs per week 2-4 times per week.

I was thinking of doing my Nursing Degree, but not at the age of me leaving Six-Form, this is because the average Nusing degree course is 25/30 at CCCU.
I know Archeology doesn't have the best employment and cat be random employment month by month, also the small pay of 20 grand.
I was thinking of archeology because its demanding, but not as demanding as HSC, also I enjoy history.

Me starting course also will teach me whats needed for revision and demands.

Would my qualifications if I get these predicions, will these be plausible to join a university or college to do this degree.

ALSO, WHAT CAN I DO DURING THE SUMMER HOLIDAY THAT WILL GIVE ME A COMPETITVE EDGE.
Original post by billsj

Why would you be too young to do nursing...? Allied health professions courses with clinical contact from the start of the course normally only require you to be over the age of 18 at the start of the course.

Also what would the average age of students on the course have to do with you? This could be skewed by one 65 year old person on a course with mostly school leavers, or just be normally distributed range of ages from ~25 which would include a large number school leavers.

In any case, I don't think anyone has ever studied archaeology for money reasons.

Your reasons for not pursuing nursing make no sense, and your reasons for pursuing archaeology instead make even less sense.
Reply 4
Ive always wanted a career in the Navy.
Ik your not too young, I want to also fit in.
Do you know if the course is demanding and would I be elegable
Reply 5
Original post by billsj
but I'm too young at 19.

what, too young to do a nursing degree? Don't be daft. Loads of people start nursing degrees start at 18 straight out of A levels - just as likely as those who have come back to university later in life after an access course.
Original post by billsj
whats the average pay after qualified

https://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-pensions-and-reward/nhs-terms-and-conditions-of-service---agenda-for-change/pay-scales/annual
You start at the bottom of band 5.
Original post by billsj
Does anyone have any tips on this course

Nursing? Be organised.

Original post by billsj

Do you know if the course is demanding

Um, yeah. My first degree, German & History? Had to stick my head in a book and live in the library for 3 years of the 4 years (and had to spend some time glued to my laptop on my year abroad) just to scrape a 2:1. My nursing degree? I had a few less assignments but had to juggle placements too. Demanding in a different way.
Original post by billsj
and would I be elegable

You get full funding for a nursing degree regardless of what funding you've had before.
You have the GCSEs maths & English required. Are the diplomas level 3 (A level equivalent)? If so, do some research to see if universities would accept them for nursing. Look on university websites and get in touch with departments.

Original post by billsj

ALSO, WHAT CAN I DO DURING THE SUMMER HOLIDAY THAT WILL GIVE ME A COMPETITVE EDGE.

You've already got the answer to this. From a nursing point of view, you're already doing things which can be used to show the 6 Cs ( https://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/hub/what-are-the-six-cs/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4artpa-f8QIViZntCh2YrA5yEAAYASAAEgKsc_D_BwE )
Original post by billsj
I'm ALSO A YOUNG CARER
volunteer at a farm 3-7 hrs per week 1/2 days per week
volunteer at a carers home 2-15 hrs per week 2-4 times per week.

young carer & care home volunteering can be used for all 6, farm work goes for commitment and can also show competence, communication and courage.
These are the things universities are looking for.
Don't be so hung up on age. If you want a career as a nurse then study nursing. You'll fit in with your peers as you will share a common interest in your course.

If you're interested in the navy have a look at what they offer, you can join the armed forces as a student nurse or after you've become registered.
Reply 7
Original post by moonkatt
Don't be so hung up on age. If you want a career as a nurse then study nursing. You'll fit in with your peers as you will share a common interest in your course.

If you're interested in the navy have a look at what they offer, you can join the armed forces as a student nurse or after you've become registered.

ill be seeing for a nursing degree, due to needing to come off medication
Reply 8
what condition.
Reply 9
Original post by paub
what condition.

Axienty (Nearly came over
PTSD (Came over
ADHD (Medicated)
Dr wants me to get diagnosed for Autism but that's not happening
Reply 10
why not it explains your other issues.
Original post by billsj

Nursing is horrendously paid 13hr qualified and starting 12.5hr shifts. i don't recommend you get trapped in this profession go archeology
Original post by Dante555
Nursing is horrendously paid 13hr qualified and starting 12.5hr shifts. i don't recommend you get trapped in this profession go archeology

Are you a nurse? My payslips show that I get paid more for in social hours, e.g evenings, weekends and nights. As a nurse married to another nurse, we can comfortably afford a house, the mortgage, bills, holidays, a car, a social life.... oh and the shifts mean that ok I can't make everything that other people can (but that's what shift requests are for), and only having to go in 3 days a week can be pretty awesome. 9-5 Mon-Fri workers have no idea how good it is having regular random weekdays off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending