The Student Room Group

Confused where to apply for Master's in AI/ML/CS

I'm planning on applying for a Master's degree in either AI or CS in universities like Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL, ICL and KCL. Although I'm not sure which one will be a better fit for me (rather, vice versa). I am from India and have a B. Tech degree in Computer Science and Engineering, with a CGPA of 9.34 (our of 10). I'd have a total of 1.5 years of work experience before I'd join the classes, I have two minor publications from college and had actively taken part in extracurricular activities, as well as held a few board position in clubs and chapters. My primary concern is that my college isn't exactly well established, and that may hamper my chances of getting in. Can you please help me understand how much of an actual shot I have at any of those degrees mentioned above? Also, there isn't exactly anything that can make my application better at this point, right? And do you guys think all 4 of these would have good job prospects? (Especially for a non-UK/non-EU resident like yours truly) Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
All have fantastic jobs prospects, do not worry about that. ML Engineer/Data Science jobs are rising here, and the pay is decent. I think you have a good chance of getting into KCL for sure. UCL you probably have a good chance too, but then the others are very competitive. Edinburgh are quite selective, and ICL and Oxford are well-known to be hard to get into. I'd say your chances go KCL>UCL>Edinburgh>ICL>Oxford. You lose nothing by sending an application, that's what I did for my PhD and I got in, and that was without any publications and I'm not remarkable at all. I am certain you will get into at least one of those unis, so good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
All have fantastic jobs prospects, do not worry about that. ML Engineer/Data Science jobs are rising here, and the pay is decent. I think you have a good chance of getting into KCL for sure. UCL you probably have a good chance too, but then the others are very competitive. Edinburgh are quite selective, and ICL and Oxford are well-known to be hard to get into. I'd say your chances go KCL>UCL>Edinburgh>ICL>Oxford. You lose nothing by sending an application, that's what I did for my PhD and I got in, and that was without any publications and I'm not remarkable at all. I am certain you will get into at least one of those unis, so good luck!

Hey, thanks mate! My applications are still months away, though. Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply