The Student Room Group

Student costs

Hi, I am going to drama school in September and am applying for student finance for food costs but not other costs so was wondering how much money to factor in for food per week - could anyone give me an idea of how much they spend on food per week?
Original post by rosiewooding
Hi, I am going to drama school in September and am applying for student finance for food costs but not other costs so was wondering how much money to factor in for food per week - could anyone give me an idea of how much they spend on food per week?

I'm not a student (yet) however I'm 28 and although my food bill is little strange as I eat few takeaways and home cooked food I don't really notice how much I spend but............
I did write down budgets for future University and I've read things however it does actually relate to your diet needs also.

Are you vegan/veggie?
Will you be cooking for yourself?
Do you eat regular takeaways?
Do you/will you be eating out at restaurants with friends?
Do you buy cheaper foods rather than bigger brands? E.g Tesco bread vs warburtons bread?
How much do you eat?

If you live on takeaways and restaurants your food bill will be £100 plus per week (7day).
If you were to cook 7 days a week and have the cheaper alternative I.e non branded foods from supermarket you could perhaps do 7 days of food on £40 - £50 per week (7day).

I suggest look at the area you will be studying see what supermarkets are around such as tesco/asda or what ever is around then start to look at prices of foods to give you a rough idea as it's hard to estimate as everyone is different.
If you was super strict with money see if there is a lidl/aldi near your campus.
That is great, very helpful, thank you for your response
Reply 3
Use the Trolley app to see where's cheapest for your groceries - helps a bunch food is the most expensive thing
These are my top tips. Get some of those student friendly cookbooks, cheap ones from the local book shops will do. Also in lieu of any takeouts, consider other more healthier options like having only healthy meals at home. Or you can even teach yourself how to cook own meals.

When going out to eat at formal restaurants, do find the healthiest option on the menu and avoid ordering those unhealthy desserts if possible. Download a app that is focused on budgeting. If doing your weekly food shopping, calculate overall food related costs and also make a shopping list.

Stick to it. Attend a useful cooking class or either print out recipes and then buy a few different cookbooks to keep at home and use. Learn the names of restaurants that cost a lot of money and the ones that do not. Before going out to any formal restaurants, find some helpful reviews online. Make a point of doing that. You can even use Trip Advisor to search for reviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending