The Student Room Group

Pattern and Probability Math Help

I have done the part (a) A(n) for even number but the odd number and all below I have no idea.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by deskochan
I have done the part (a) A(n) for even number but the odd number and all below I have no idea.

Can you not just sketch a few cases like
2*2, 3*3, 4*4, 5*5, ...
to get the intuition? They've done that for you with an example when n is even.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Can you not just sketch a few cases like
2*2, 3*3, 4*4, 5*5, ...
to get the intuition? They've done that for you with an example when n is even.

I just count the number of points and get the pattern of even the number of n of the triangle in the figure. 1,3,5, ... (n-5), (n-3). but the odd number I don't get it. Could you tell me more you mention 2*2... intuition? Because I just self-study pure mathematics.
Reply 3
I get the linear programming constraint from the figure and part b. x>y, x+y>n, x<n and I think n = odd number, A(n) is in even number pattern, 2,4,6,...(n-?).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I just count the number of points and get the pattern of even the number of n of the triangle in the figure. 1,3,5, ... (n-5), (n-3). but the odd number I don't get it. Could you tell me more you mention 2*2... intuition? Because I just self-study pure mathematics.

When n is odd, you should just sum the even numbers so 2+4+6+ ... The so-called rectangular numbers. It should be self evident from a sketch - upload what you've tried?

When n was even, you summed the odd numbers which is a square number?

I just meant drawing the different grids. So
n=1 is 2*2 which has 0 in the interior
n=2 is 3*3 which has 2 in the interior - the first rectangular number
n=3 is 4*4 which has 1+3 = 4 = 2^2 - summing odd numbers, or successive triangular numbers
n=4 is 5*5 which has 2+4 ....
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
When n is odd, you should just sum the even numbers so 2+4+6+ ... The so-called rectangular numbers. It should be self evident from a sketch - upload what you've tried?

n=3 is 4*4 which has 1+3 = 4 = 2^2 - summing odd numbers, or successive triangular numbers

At least I know, For n=even, A(n) is an odd number pattern, 1,3,5,7,... (n-5), (n-3); for n=odd, A(n) is an even number pattern 2,4,6,8,.. (n-5), (n-3). This is part (a) I get.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
At least I know, For n=even, A(n) is an odd number pattern, 1,3,5,7,... (n-5), (n-3); for n=odd, A(n) is an even number pattern 2,4,6,8,.. (n-5), (n-3). This is part (a) I get.

I take it you know the sum of those series? They're linear, so the sums are quadratics. n odd is a square number (sum of two successive triangular numbers) and n even is a rectangular number?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766

Original post by mqb2766
I take it you know the sum of those series? They're linear, so the sum is quadratics. n odd is a square number and n even is a rectangular number?

You are a genius and I just follow the pattern. For odd, A4, A6, A8 ,..= 1^2, 2^2, 3^2,....; For even, A5, A7, A9 = 2, 6, 12....
Hong Kong Advanced Level Pure Mathematics past examination paper.
Reply 9
Original post by Äries
Hong Kong Advanced Level Pure Mathematics past examination paper.

Yes, 1984
You are a genius and I just follow the pattern. For odd, A4, A6, A8 ,..= 1^2, 2^2, 3^2,....; For even, A5, A7, A9 = 2, 6, 12....

Tbh, the basic triangular numbers, rectangular numbers, square numbers patterns are fairly well known and easy to derive. This part of the question is just a slightly different way to ask the same thing.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
Tbh, the basic triangular numbers, rectangular numbers, square numbers patterns are fairly well known and easy to derive. This part of the question is just a slightly different way to ask the same thing.

Examination always does the same thing in various ways. I am a layman to follow the road of this world.
By the way, A4+A6+A8.. = from summation of (n-1)^2 (from n=2 to ?) , A5+A7+A9.. = summation of n(n-1) (from n=2 to?).
Examination always does the same thing in various ways. I am a layman to follow the road of this world.
By the way, A4+A6+A8.. = from summation of (n-1)^2 (from n=2 to ?) , A5+A7+A9.. = summation of n(n-1) (from n=2 to?).

Not sure what you mean.
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
Not sure what you mean.

I mean For n=odd A4+ A6,+A8 +....= 1^2,+2^2,+3^2,....; For n=even, A5 + A7 + A9 = 2 + 6 +12...
I go to part b(ii) find B(2k). I think B(2k) is added the above two series together. Is this logic correct?
(edited 2 years ago)
I mean For n=odd A4+ A6,+A8 +....= 1^2,+2^2,+3^2,....; For n=even, A5 + A7 + A9 = 2 + 6 +12...
I go to part b(ii) find B(2k). I think B(2k) is added the above two series together. Is this logic correct?

I agree that An is a sequence of square numbers and rectangular numbers.
Which part of the question are you doing now.
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
I agree that An is a sequence of square numbers and rectangular numbers.
Which part of the question are you doing now.

Part b. Thank you for your help and I have finished part (a)
In part (a), I get n=even A(n) = [(n-2)/2]^2, n=odd, A(n) = (n-1)/2 * (n-3)/2
For part b(i), I think the non-degenerate triangle is x+y>t (from the diagram, x=n is the longest side of the triangle), and it is given y<x<t = n and there are the three inequalities, x>y, x+y>t and x<t and thus the number of triangles is equal to the number of integral points A(n) in part (a).
(edited 2 years ago)
Part b. Thank you for your help and I have finished part (a)
In part (a), I get n=even A(n) = [(n-2)/2]^2, n=odd, A(n) = (n-1)/2 * (n-3)/2
For part b(i), I think the non-degenerate triangle is x+y>t (from the diagram, x=n is the longest side of the triangle), and it is given y<x<t = n and there are the three inequalities, x>y, x+y>t and x<t and thus the number of triangles is equal to the number of integral points A(n) in part (a).

Yes, agree with that.
Reply 17
I go to part b (ii), I think B(2k) = A4+A5+....... and I need to add two series: even (square pattern number) and odd (rectangle pattern number).
Thus, I try to add B(2k) = summation A(i) (from i=4 to 2k).
I go to part b (ii), I think B(2k) = A4+A5+....... and I need to add two series: even (square pattern number) and odd (rectangle pattern number).
Thus, I try to add B(2k) = summation A(i) (from i=4 to 2k).

Just make sure you're doing the first few numbers correctly. The sum of square number and rectangular numbers are not too hard. Obviously, they must form a cubic, as the diesired expression suggests.
Reply 19
Original post by mqb2766
Just make sure you're doing the first few numbers correctly. The sum of square number and rectangular numbers are not too hard. Obviously, they must form a cubic, as the diesired expression suggests.

I get stuck in this part and guide me more, please.

Quick Reply

Latest