The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Mum is against uni accommodation

So i’ve firmed warwick for biomed and when i was applying for accommodation i was going to apply to rootes/tocil as my top choices. My mum told me she wanted me to have my own toilet so she said apply to ensuites so i made heronbank and lakeside my top choices. Now she’s saying it’s too expensive because it’s £160 a week like i didn’t tell her that before so i said i can just change it back to rootes which is way cheaper but she doesn’t want me to bc i’m muslim and apparently it’s unclean and people pee on the seats? Idk but now she wants me to stay with random people she found in coventry where i get just a room but i want to be on campus and she’s against that. Anyone who has a shared bathroom is it generally clean? Plus how regularly is it cleaned? I’m applying for single sex accommodation too.
In the accommodation I lived in, the toilets weren't cleaned, we had to clean them ourselves. We kept them fairly clean but it was 4 girls sharing and we were in our 20s rather than 18 so I suspect that made a difference.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So i’ve firmed warwick for biomed and when i was applying for accommodation i was going to apply to rootes/tocil as my top choices. My mum told me she wanted me to have my own toilet so she said apply to ensuites so i made heronbank and lakeside my top choices. Now she’s saying it’s too expensive because it’s £160 a week like i didn’t tell her that before so i said i can just change it back to rootes which is way cheaper but she doesn’t want me to bc i’m muslim and apparently it’s unclean and people pee on the seats? Idk but now she wants me to stay with random people she found in coventry where i get just a room but i want to be on campus and she’s against that. Anyone who has a shared bathroom is it generally clean? Plus how regularly is it cleaned? I’m applying for single sex accommodation too.

Does the cost of your accommodation not come from your Student Finance?
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen
Does the cost of your accommodation not come from your Student Finance?

It does but she wants me to take out less money bc interest is technically haram.
Reply 4
It does but she wants me to take out less money bc interest is technically haram.

Would there not be interest to pay regardless of the sum?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen

Yeah that’s what i told her but she thinks it’s better if i take out less. It doesn’t bother me but she has a big problem with it. Idm even getting a shared bathroom which is cheaper but she’s against that too.
Plus how regularly is it cleaned?

It will be cleaned as often as you and your housemates clean it :s-smilie:
Original post by Kerzen

You even have interest on the tuition loan, so I don't quite get this point tbh.
Yeah that’s what i told her but she thinks it’s better if i take out less. It doesn’t bother me but she has a big problem with it. Idm even getting a shared bathroom which is cheaper but she’s against that too.

Some unis clean shared bathrooms daily - you'll need to ask.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Some unis clean shared bathrooms daily - you'll need to ask.

That's a good point, Muttley; it strikes me too that there may be new cleaning protocols in force from now on because of the pandemic.
Warwick uni seem to have pretty intense shared bathroom cleaning, I don't see it being a problem: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/sharingabathroom/
Toilets are frequently cleaned in the shared accommodation. The frequency I can't remember and might have changed with covid, but it was definitely daily or close to it.

You can request a single gender flat too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Toilets are frequently cleaned in the shared accommodation. The frequency I can't remember and might have changed with covid, but it was definitely daily or close to it.

You can request a single gender flat too.

If i’ve already applied can i change my preferences?

Allocation doesn't get decided until after results day so I don't see why not. If there's no option on the form you should email and ask.
Reply 14

I would try to get in touch with Warwick Accommodation this afternoon.

There's a number for Allocations, that may be the right one.

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/contact/

Which of the Halls would YOU like best? YOU, not your Mum.
(edited 2 years ago)
I’m going to Warwick as well to study biomedical science. I choose Whitefields as my first choice and requested all girls for my accommodation since I’m Muslim. I’m also worried about the cleanliness of the toilets but I’m sure it won’t be too bad. Idk if this weird but because we technically share a lot in common you could tell your mom that you’re not the only one who is in this position.

Quick Reply

Latest