Computing and IT degree or history degree

Watch
shaman966
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I previously trained as an electrician but I'm looking to get out the industry so I'm going to university to retrain. My passion is for history but I worry that I wont find a job in that field. I'm also interested in IT I can't say it's my passion but I've started learning basic HTML Java and It's ok. The other benefit would be potential to work remotely, which would suit me as I have anxiety. But now I'm thinking I could study History and self teach programming or should I just go for the full IT degree?
alm353
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by shaman966)
I previously trained as an electrician but I'm looking to get out the industry so I'm going to university to retrain. My passion is for history but I worry that I wont find a job in that field. I'm also interested in IT I can't say it's my passion but I've started learning basic HTML Java and It's ok. The other benefit would be potential to work remotely, which would suit me as I have anxiety. But now I'm thinking I could study History and self teach programming or should I just go for the full IT degree?
Hi! Unfortunately I don't know anything about job prospects in history, but I imagine that you can ask lecturers/researchers/etc at the uni. I would definitely say, if possible, follow the passion first. Teaching yourself programming is a good idea if you want to keep your options open (as a self-taught programmer myself, this has saved. my. bacon.) There may be experts/forums/etc online where you can ask about jobs in history before making your final decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (300)
84.27%
No (56)
15.73%

Watched Threads