The Student Room Group

What does a gap year intail

So I did really badly in my mocks and plan on getting the grades in the real exam so I'll have to take a gap year. I don't really understand the process to this, for example do you apply for a gap year or do you just not apply for UNIs. I really want to do medicine will taking a Gap year hinder my chances of getting into a good school. So if you could just unload all the information you know about gap years of be very appreciative.
Reply 1
Hi! So to answer your first question, you don't apply for a gap year as such. Either, you apply to uni for a deferred entry during Year 13 (meaning you will take a year out before going to uni) or you can apply to uni during your gap year after you've left school, which is what I am doing. I am not sure about whether taking a gap year will hinder your chances of getting into a good med school as I am applying for history, but my friend is taking a gap year too and she wants to do medicine. I would say that it won't hinder you as long as you can use the year wisely and make sure it supports your application. Eg during your gap year you could get some work experience at a local GP practice or something like that. Hope this helps!
Original post by Oki.m
Hi! So to answer your first question, you don't apply for a gap year as such. Either, you apply to uni for a deferred entry during Year 13 (meaning you will take a year out before going to uni) or you can apply to uni during your gap year after you've left school, which is what I am doing. I am not sure about whether taking a gap year will hinder your chances of getting into a good med school as I am applying for history, but my friend is taking a gap year too and she wants to do medicine. I would say that it won't hinder you as long as you can use the year wisely and make sure it supports your application. Eg during your gap year you could get some work experience at a local GP practice or something like that. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much this was really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest