The Student Room Group

Does he like me?

So there is this guy. Pays attention to me and looks at me a lot. Always took my side. I thought he liked me but when i message him he takes months to reply or just blanks my messages. The messages are just friendly hi how are you kind of ones. Ik he isn't busy. I have known him for 2ish years. We are in uni together but because of covid havn't seen him. Anytime we do meet in person his face lights up and all. So idk. I am getting mixed signals all over. Is he just being nice? I have never been in a relationship so idk how things work.

Scroll to see replies

He might just prefer an in-person interaction. Some people are like that. It’s not clear that he doesn’t like you, although it can be implied.

How do you know that he isn’t busy?

I think trying to meet up with him often to get to know him might make him interested in you a bit more. For now, he seems to just be nice, yes.
You're inferring quite a lot here for someone who hasn't ever been in a relationship. Might be best knowing him a bit more before making finalised assumptions.
Reply 3
Original post by jenerous
You're inferring quite a lot here for someone who hasn't ever been in a relationship. Might be best knowing him a bit more before making finalised assumtions.

I am actually quite observant. I have pretty much never failed to figure out if a guy likes my friends through the subtlest of details. So I assumed I would be able to tell this one liked me or not lol. I feel like I do know him as much as I can. He is generally very closed but the past 2 years and something we have practically been hanging out at uni and even after uni. But I guess you can never know someone enough.
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainDuckie
He might just prefer an in-person interaction. Some people are like that. It’s not clear that he doesn’t like you, although it can be implied.

How do you know that he isn’t busy?

I think trying to meet up with him often to get to know him might make him interested in you a bit more. For now, he seems to just be nice, yes.

Well in terms of how do I know he isn't busy is from his friends. But maybe he suddenly became busy? Even in university if you text him and he is on his phone he still will wait to reply? It's quite strange and confusing. He compliments me a bit too. Maybe he is just too nice?
In terms of meeting up because of covid we are unable to.
Reply 5
Original post by jenerous
You're inferring quite a lot here for someone who hasn't ever been in a relationship. Might be best knowing him a bit more before making finalised assumptions.

And just to add to that- everyone says I catch on to things quickly. 😂 Maybe it's all going to my head? I don't know. I have also always caught onto when guys have liked me (they later confessed and I knew about their feelings way before they told me so). I was just never ready for relationships since grades were always my priority.
Original post by Anonymous
Well in terms of how do I know he isn't busy is from his friends. But maybe he suddenly became busy? Even in university if you text him and he is on his phone he still will wait to reply? It's quite strange and confusing. He compliments me a bit too. Maybe he is just too nice?
In terms of meeting up because of covid we are unable to.

so you’re not sure if he is busy or not

I think it’s one of those things were you might need to step up your game if you like him. Ask him out, keep social distancing rules in place etc. From there, you can ask him. Or on message you can ask him what he thinks of you.

You can’t interrogate him for not replying to you because he’s not obligated to. But you can ask if he saw your message? If he says yes, maybe he just doesn’t like texting or he might not like you in a relationship type way.

Not quite clear, I’m afraid.
(edited 2 years ago)
He does not like you in the way you wish he did. Nobody who is really into someone lets months pass before answering their messages. He is not that into you.
He does not like you in the way you wish he did. Nobody who is really into someone lets months pass before answering their messages. He is not that into you.

Or this, OP. He did blank your message.

I’m trying to keep it optimistic.
Reply 9
so you’re not sure if he is busy or not

I think it’s one of those things were you might need to step up your game if you like him. Ask him out, keep social distancing rules in place etc. From there, you can ask him. Or on message you can ask him what he thinks of you.

You can’t interrogate him for not replying to you because he’s not obligated to. But you can ask if he saw your message? If he says yes, maybe he just doesn’t like texting or he might not like you in a relationship type way.

Not quite clear, I’m afraid.

I think I will try that.
I feel like maybe he has just lost interest? He used to reply more regularly now it's just nothing. I usually start conversations and this time I decided I would not start it and see what happens so we have not spoken for nearly 2 months.
I think I will try that.
I feel like maybe he has just lost interest? He used to reply more regularly now it's just nothing. I usually start conversations and this time I decided I would not start it and see what happens so we have not spoken for nearly 2 months.

Yeah, I’m leaning more towards the side he might not be that interested in you now, ngl.

Context helps.

I don’t think he likes you ngl. I would’ve said he was shy but surely not. He does look at you a lot (maybe you think he is)?

Sure they do. Actually the original post sounds similar to my situation with my 'crush' (I am far too old to be using that word in this context without shuddering/cringing). I spent some time trying to get to know her a little and gauge her interest, got the vibe she wasn't interested and stopped making any effort to initiate contact with her. She contacted me after about 8 months of nothing, then we spoke here and there for a few months via the occasional phone call. Anyhow once or twice we've started chatting via whatsapp or texting but I got to a point of feeling like she was playing games so I just ghosted it kind of.

Fair enough you do have a point. I just wanted some guidance. I used to ignore him and he was always so clingy (up till covid) then covid happened and I don't see him. He has always been a bad texter so I assumed maybe it's that? I don't even know anymore
Yeah, I’m leaning more towards the side he might not be that interested in you now, ngl.

Context helps.

I don’t think he likes you ngl. I would’ve said he was shy but surely not. He does look at you a lot (maybe you think he is)?

Well, he sits right next to me staring at me even when someone else is talking to him so I don't think I am just picturing it. Whenever he is with a group of girls he looks at me the most.
Original post by whoisjohngalt?
Sure they do. Actually the original post sounds similar to my situation with my 'crush' (I am far too old to be using that word in this context without shuddering/cringing). I spent some time trying to get to know her a little and gauge her interest, got the vibe she wasn't interested and stopped making any effort to initiate contact with her. She contacted me after about 8 months of nothing, then we spoke here and there for a few months via the occasional phone call. Anyhow once or twice we've started chatting via whatsapp or texting but I got to a point of feeling like she was playing games so I just ghosted it kind of.

See that's what my friend said! Maybe he is just playing?
Well, he sits right next to me staring at me even when someone else is talking to him so I don't think I am just picturing it. Whenever he is with a group of girls he looks at me the most.

Probably just wants to see what you have to say? Or might be staring into space...

So far, since you’re having to start the conversations, it’s obviously not mutually correlated.

If he really liked you, he would message you. You even say he’s on his phone but doesn’t reply to you........
Probably just wants to see what you have to say? Or might be staring into space...

So far, since you’re having to start the conversations, it’s obviously not mutually correlated.

If he really liked you, he would message you. You even say he’s on his phone but doesn’t reply to you........

Maybe. It started with him kind of forcing me to accept his ig request then taking my phone number and talking to me. Then always sitting next to me and always finding ways to talk. I think I am just going to assume he was either too nice or just playing with me the whole time.
One thing to note is he has said that he previously told a girl he liked her and that didn't go as he planned so he has been distant since?
I think I might just have to straight-up ask?
See that's what my friend said! Maybe he is just playing?

Maybe he's into you but thinks you don't like him, so he's trying to keep his distance. Sometimes he slips up and can't help trying to get closer because he's that attracted to you, but then something you do/say puts him off again. That's how it is with me and my crush at least. Also I really hate texting (had told her that one of the first few times we spoke in person) so we've mostly spoken by phone calls or Teams since uni's all been online. So maybe in your case he hates texting and he's trying his best to keep his distance because he thinks you'll just waste his energy.
Maybe. It started with him kind of forcing me to accept his ig request then taking my phone number and talking to me. Then always sitting next to me and always finding ways to talk. I think I am just going to assume he was either too nice or just playing with me the whole time.
One thing to note is he has said that he previously told a girl he liked her and that didn't go as he planned so he has been distant since?

You keep adding context.

Add the full context man.

It looks like he was probably either playing with you or being too nice. Yeah, he might be still kinda hurt from that experience. That can factor in. He might just want some space from girls etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending