The Student Room Group

How to prepare for a levels

How do I prepare for A level bio chemistry history over the summer holidays, I’m not too good at bio and chem my teachers suggested going over Triple science content.
Reply 1
Original post by Ghostface6001
How do I prepare for A level bio chemistry history over the summer holidays, I’m not too good at bio and chem my teachers suggested going over Triple science content.

heyy, i do bio and chem alevel and what i would say is that honestly just take a break and relax but if you do want do something then you can use websites like Seneca to go over some triple science content because for bio and chem you will go through alot of gcse content which you will just build on
you can also buy CGP's head start to alevel bio/ alevel chem books too
hope that helps :smile:
Original post by KA139
heyy, i do bio and chem alevel and what i would say is that honestly just take a break and relax but if you do want do something then you can use websites like Seneca to go over some triple science content because for bio and chem you will go through alot of gcse content which you will just build on
you can also buy CGP's head start to alevel bio/ alevel chem books too

Is there a hard scary jump
Reply 3
Is there a hard scary jump

i dont want to scare you but for me personally yes there was. i went from getting 8s and 9s in triple science chem and bio to getting a D in my first chem mock exam but it is defo a big jump and you for sure have to put the effort in. now, im sort of not at the A/A* level but im working myself up as much as i can to atleast acheive B
for bio, depending on the exam board there is a lot of content. the exam board i do has a ridiculous amount of content so much different to GCSE
so yes, there is a jump and at times it will be hard. the amount of breakdowns i have had over chem and bio in the past year is unbelievable lmao but if you are willing to do it then you will succeed
Original post by KA139
i dont want to scare you but for me personally yes there was. i went from getting 8s and 9s in triple science chem and bio to getting a D in my first chem mock exam but it is defo a big jump and you for sure have to put the effort in. now, im sort of not at the A/A* level but im working myself up as much as i can to atleast acheive B
for bio, depending on the exam board there is a lot of content. the exam board i do has a ridiculous amount of content so much different to GCSE
so yes, there is a jump and at times it will be hard. the amount of breakdowns i have had over chem and bio in the past year is unbelievable lmao but if you are willing to do it then you will succeed

Which is harder bio or chem? Also if I put my head down early and keep on top of everything from the start could I get AAA
Reply 5
Which is harder bio or chem? Also if I put my head down early and keep on top of everything from the start could I get AAA

yes 100% if i could repeat y12 i would for sure have kept on top of everything because you would think only doing 3 subjects would be easy but it is the exact opposite.
for me personally lockdown and online learning caused me to fall behind but if you sort of keep on top of things from september with notes etc you will smash it
teachers are really supportive if you ever need help make sure you reach out the them, in sixth form/college you are treated like young adults, complete different atmosphere than lower down school

in terms or difficulty, i tend to find bio harder in terms of questions because knowing the content is one thing but being able to apply it is the worst. that is so much different than to GCSE. depending on exam board, some exam questions are worded awfully
chemistry again depending on exam board shorter but alot of content
hope that helps
Original post by KA139
yes 100% if i could repeat y12 i would for sure have kept on top of everything because you would think only doing 3 subjects would be easy but it is the exact opposite.
for me personally lockdown and online learning caused me to fall behind but if you sort of keep on top of things from september with notes etc you will smash it
teachers are really supportive if you ever need help make sure you reach out the them, in sixth form/college you are treated like young adults, complete different atmosphere than lower down school

in terms or difficulty, i tend to find bio harder in terms of questions because knowing the content is one thing but being able to apply it is the worst. that is so much different than to GCSE. depending on exam board, some exam questions are worded awfully
chemistry again depending on exam board shorter but alot of content
hope that helps

So if alevels are manageable why do people complain so much
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
So if alevels are manageable why do people complain so much x

because of the level of difficulty
they are so much harder than gcses because it is a big jump and alot of content to cover in only 2 years.
and also when you have to start writing personal statements and uni applications and ucas and all that it gets stressful to manage it all
even before doing all that it can be very hard at times to manage everything and can be very stressful
you will not always understand something the first time and alot of it is independent
Original post by KA139
they are so much harder than gcses because it is a big jump and alot of content to cover in only 2 years.
and also when you have to start writing personal statements and uni applications and ucas and all that it gets stressful to manage it all
even before doing all that it can be very hard at times to manage everything and can be very stressful
you will not always understand something the first time and alot of it is independent

Best to apply next year and fully focus on a levels only then? ESP,for medicine
Original post by KA139

Can u also retake year 12
only in some schools
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Can u also retake year 12

if you dont get the grades you need to progress onto y13 then you may have to resit that year
im not completely sure how it works but if you dont get certain grade in a subject you will have to do it again
i had couple people in my chem class who were y13
Reply 12
Original post by EnglishNOOb101
only in some schools

really? i didnt know that only some schools resit a year
do all of them?
Reply 14
Original post by EnglishNOOb101
do all of them?

not a clue lol

Quick Reply

Latest