The Student Room Group

further math a level

im in yr 11 and i wanted to start doing further maths revision for year 12but idk what topic to start doing first. Idk whether to start on stigma stuff or complex numbers idk does anyone know? im doing aqa spec at my sixth form next year

Scroll to see replies

i don't think this happens at all schools, but in mine, we finish all of a level maths and then do further maths. So maybe go over maths first?
(edited 2 years ago)
there are free online courses for a level maths BTW
Reply 3
Original post by EnglishNOOb101
i don't think this happens at all schools, but in mine, we finish all of a level maths and then do further maths. So maybe go over maths first?

i was doing revision for both but should i not?
Does your school teach them both at the same time?
My school does them both at the same time and tbf you can learn alot of year 1 further maths without needing to know a level maths.even so I recommend at least finishing as level maths before starting as level FM
Reply 6
Original post by tej3141
My school does them both at the same time and tbf you can learn alot of year 1 further maths without needing to know a level maths.even so I recommend at least finishing as level maths before starting as level FMthans

thanks mate
Original post by bossman24
im in yr 11 and i wanted to start doing further maths revision for year 12but idk what topic to start doing first. Idk whether to start on stigma stuff or complex numbers idk does anyone know? im doing aqa spec at my sixth form next year

complex numbers is the first and easiest topic, so start with that (atleast for me).
Reply 8
Original post by Maryyyxxx
complex numbers is the first and easiest topic, so start with that (atleast for me).

ok thanks do you know the order of topics i should go through like i list or something
Reply 9
Original post by tej3141
My school does them both at the same time and tbf you can learn alot of year 1 further maths without needing to know a level maths.even so I recommend at least finishing as level maths before starting as level FM

ive gone through most of as maths except for differentiation and intergration
Reply 10
Does your school teach them both at the same time?

i dont know yet
Reply 11
there are free online courses for a level maths BTW

do you know a good website i could use with practice questions pls
ok thanks do you know the order of topics i should go through like i list or something

complex numbers, argand diagrams, series, roots of polynomials, volumes of revolution, matrices, linear transformation, proof by induction and vectors is the order. but for some topics you need to know AS maths, e.g. for volumes of revolution you should learn integration first
Reply 13
complex numbers, argand diagrams, series, roots of polynomials, volumes of revolution, matrices, linear transformation, proof by induction and vectors is the order. but for some topics you need to know AS maths, e.g. for volumes of revolution you should learn integration first

wow ty i really needed this i skipped to proof by induction lol after doing complex numbers

Do you do edexcel too?
do you know a good website i could use with practice questions pls

The textbooks areprobably the best resource you can use for maths and FM but there is no point buying them as your school may provide you free access to them. There are loads of websites like pmt, madasmaths and others though
Original post by tej3141
Do you do edexcel too?

yes i do
yes i do

Yr one I assume? What options did you choose for FM?
Original post by tej3141
Yr one I assume? What options did you choose for FM?

decision and mechanics, what about u
decision and mechanics, what about u

Further pure 1 and mechanics. If you do physics, further mechanics is quite similar. And, of course, we dont speakabout stats here.

Quick Reply

Latest