The Student Room Group

**important!! Senior Prefect Interviews

Hi! So I want to go for head girl, I have already submitted my application letter and now I have been invited back for an interview for Senior Prefect. (My school is running it so that to be invited for a head girl interview, you have to first do a senior prefect interview).

Does anyone have any tips or know any frequently asked questions? Or if you have any suggestions on how to stand out that would also be helpful!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by SnowLep15
Hi! So I want to go for head girl, I have already submitted my application letter and now I have been invited back for an interview for Senior Prefect. (My school is running it so that to be invited for a head girl interview, you have to first do a senior prefect interview).

Does anyone have any tips or know any frequently asked questions? Or if you have any suggestions on how to stand out that would also be helpful!

Thank you :smile:

Hi, I was a Deputy Head Prefect in Year 13 and have just finished my A Levels.

They tend to like to ask you questions like, "what would you be willing to offer as a Head Girl?" You would say things like running charitable events, engagement with lower year groups, outreach with primary school pupils etc. You can also say about particular interests which relate to this to show you are passionate i.e. sporting activities you have participated in.

You also get the typical questions like, "what inspired you to apply to be Head Girl?" Just say things like that you want to give back to the school for supporting you, and to the younger pupils as you know what it felt like to be in the younger years. Although some do, don't say things like "I did it to benefit my uni application. It will look good on my personal statement." They want to see someone who is really passionate to make a difference.

But most of all, just be yourself. Smile, make eye contact, and be your genuine self. You'll likely know the teachers/senior staff members who will be interviewing you. Don't be afraid to take a minute to think of your answer and address them politely. Don't worry about long responses. If it's well constructed and natural, it shows you're passionate. The best messages come from the heart. Luckily, I'm someone who is able to speak naturally, but I know this doesn't come to everyone. I did no practice for questions as I felt I could answer them naturally, so what I would say is don't stress.

With regards to you standing out, talk about how you have immersed yourself in the school community i.e. community events, musical concerts in the school, sporting events etc. Talk about what you like doing outside of school (are you involved in a club? Do you like playing a musical instrument?)

Are there any academic achievements you have? They do tend to like someone who is committed to their studies but also well balanced.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ryanalevel
Hi, I was a Deputy Head Prefect in Year 13 and have just finished my A Levels.

They tend to like to ask you questions like, "what would you be willing to offer as a Head Girl?" You would say things like running charitable events, engagement with lower year groups, outreach with primary school pupils etc. You can also say about particular interests which relate to this to show you are passionate i.e. sporting activities you have participated in.

You also get the typical questions like, "what inspired you to apply to be Head Girl?" Just say things like that you want to give back to the school for supporting you, and to the younger pupils as you know what it felt like to be in the younger years. Although some do, don't say things like "I did it to benefit my uni application. It will look good on my personal statement." They want to see someone who is really passionate to make a difference.

But most of all, just be yourself. Smile, make eye contact, and be your genuine self. You'll likely know the teachers/senior staff members who will be interviewing you. Don't be afraid to take a minute to think of your answer and address them politely. Don't worry about long responses. If it's well constructed and natural, it shows you're passionate. The best messages come from the heart. Luckily, I'm someone who is able to speak naturally, but I know this doesn't come to everyone. I did no practice for questions as I felt I could answer them naturally, so what I would say is don't stress.

With regards to you standing out, talk about how you have immersed yourself in the school community i.e. community events, musical concerts in the school, sporting events etc. Talk about what you like doing outside of school (are you involved in a club? Do you like playing a musical instrument?)

Are there any academic achievements you have? They do tend to like someone who is committed to their studies but also well balanced.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Thank you so much! That really helps a lot :smile:
Also congratulations on just finishing your A levels, that’s amazing!!
Original post by SnowLep15
Thank you so much! That really helps a lot :smile:
Also congratulations on just finishing your A levels, that’s amazing!!

Thank you! Hopefully you have a better year without any lockdowns etc. Us Year 13s realise how hard it is for you Year 12 students, so don't put too much pressure on yourself. It's harder than a usual Sixth Form experience. You're doing great if you want to be Head Girl :smile: But no worries at all. Just be natural and talk passionately from your head even if you have to give yourself a minute to think. They'll really appreciate it when your answer isn't formulated and well prepared if you get me. Obviously give a good answer and have a few things in the back of your mind to talk about :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending