The Student Room Group

Can deposits be refunded? URGENT :/

I need to put down a deposit for accommodation by tomorrow, yet the opening day isn't until end of June, so would I be able to put the deposit down, go to the opening day and if Im not comfortable with the accommodation.. ask for a refund as the 'agreement' will be cancelled?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Reply 1
You need to read the accompanying information or if this is not clear call the accommodation office and ask
Chances are, others will be waiting it out to see it before putting down a deposit too. I'd ask them directly, each accommodation will have a different policy.
Original post by Zarek
You need to read the accompanying information or if this is not clear call the accommodation office and ask

Hey, this is what is under the Licence Agreement but im struggling to understand what its saying. 3.4 seems like I would be able to get a refund if I cancel the accommodation...?

"The Deposit
3.1 In order to confirm the booking in a Hall of Residence, the Resident is required to pay a deposit of
£400 to be held by the University.
3.2 If the Resident fails to pay the deposit on or before the deadline date contained within their offer of
accommodation then this Licence Agreement will be automatically terminated without further notice to the
Resident.
3.3 The deposit will be credited to the Resident’s hall fees within one month of the start of the Licence
Agreement.
3.4 A refund of the deposit will only be made if the Licence Agreement has been cancelled and some or all of the deposit amount is due to the resident."
Reply 4
Original post by anonymousayyyy
Hey, this is what is under the Licence Agreement but im struggling to understand what its saying. 3.4 seems like I would be able to get a refund if I cancel the accommodation...?

"The Deposit
3.1 In order to confirm the booking in a Hall of Residence, the Resident is required to pay a deposit of
£400 to be held by the University.
3.2 If the Resident fails to pay the deposit on or before the deadline date contained within their offer of
accommodation then this Licence Agreement will be automatically terminated without further notice to the
Resident.
3.3 The deposit will be credited to the Resident’s hall fees within one month of the start of the Licence
Agreement.
3.4 A refund of the deposit will only be made if the Licence Agreement has been cancelled and some or all of the deposit amount is due to the resident."

Yes - there'll probably be another part of the agreement that tells you the circumstances under which you can cancel the agreement without consequence (usually some kind of time period).
Reply 5
Look for a section with the rules for the license agreement or just email or ring to ask
I need to put down a deposit for accommodation by tomorrow, yet the opening day isn't until end of June, so would I be able to put the deposit down, go to the opening day and if Im not comfortable with the accommodation.. ask for a refund as the 'agreement' will be cancelled?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I cancelled my tenancy and I had two weeks to do that from when I signed the contract, if that helps. I emailed the landlady and she cancelled it for me.
Original post by lucyyy12
I cancelled my tenancy and I had two weeks to do that from when I signed the contract, if that helps. I emailed the landlady and she cancelled it for me.

so if I pay the £400 now, then decide in September that staying on campus isn't for me, they would offer me the refund as I would have cancelled accommodation before staying for the first term?
Reply 8
so if I pay the £400 now, then decide in September that staying on campus isn't for me, they would offer me the refund as I would have cancelled accommodation before staying for the first term?

As @Interea says, it depends what the agreement says about cancelling. The cancellation terms will (should!) say what penalty if any is applicable.

That's why section 3.4 says "A refund of the deposit will only be made if the Licence Agreement has been cancelled and some or all of the deposit amount is due to the resident."

The cancellation terms might say "cancellation on or after 1st September will result in the forfeit of the deposit" -- and if so you won't get anything back.
Original post by martin7
As @Interea says, it depends what the agreement says about cancelling. The cancellation terms will (should!) say what penalty if any is applicable.

That's why section 3.4 says "A refund of the deposit will only be made if the Licence Agreement has been cancelled and some or all of the deposit amount is due to the resident."

The cancellation terms might say "cancellation on or after 1st September will result in the forfeit of the deposit" -- and if so you won't get anything back.

OH great, ill have a decision by July time and im assuming the period will be 'before starting in September' so hopefully no money will be lost haha. thank you!

I didn’t pay the deposit I only signed the contract so I’m not sure sorry. Like I said, I only had two weeks to back out or I would have had to pay for the full year.
You could email the accommodation team and find it out. I’d hope you’d be able to though because you’re not going to be staying there so I don’t see why they’d need a deposit.
Original post by lucyyy12
I didn’t pay the deposit I only signed the contract so I’m not sure sorry. Like I said, I only had two weeks to back out or I would have had to pay for the full year.
You could email the accommodation team and find it out. I’d hope you’d be able to though because you’re not going to be staying there so I don’t see why they’d need a deposit.

Thank you, the deposit is for the accommodation, yet im still unsure if thats what I want as the accommodation is 25mins from uni rather than being directly on campus... so I may as well work from home ;/
OH great, ill have a decision by July time and im assuming the period will be 'before starting in September' so hopefully no money will be lost haha. thank you!

Don't assume - check or you could be £400 out of pocket if you change your mind
Thank you, the deposit is for the accommodation, yet im still unsure if thats what I want as the accommodation is 25mins from uni rather than being directly on campus... so I may as well work from home ;/

yeah that’s what I thought it was a lot of money when I can get the bus, and I’d miss my dog too much haha
Original post by ReadingMum
Don't assume - check or you could be £400 out of pocket if you change your mind

I emailed my University, thank you for your concern :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest