The Student Room Group

Will I grow taller? (DETAILED)

I've had many posts on here about height as I'm very self conscious about mine and how short I am compared to my friends and everyone around me in school...

A quick rundown of me and my family height.

Me: 5'8, 17yrs
Mum: 5'6
Dad: 5'9
Sister: 5'11, 20yrs
Brother: 5'6 12yrs!

Now that you have my family height will I be able to grow taller at 17 as a male who is only 5'8? I know a lot of height comes down to genetics but if that's the case how has my sister came out to be 5'11 as a girl and my brother is on track to be over 6'0 at around 18... Where do I fall, why am I not tall already, will I grow taller?

I like to believe I started puberty later than my peers, if so, how does that affect my final adult height, also I do recall 1 small growth spurt at around 14-15 where I grew from 5'5 to 5'8 where I am now... I've read that boys go through 2 growth spurts, and I've certainly not had my second yet as I'm still 5'8, so here is the 1 million dollar question that I'm about to ask for the 3rd or 4th time...

WILL I GROW TALLER?

I really hope I do, and for an add-on question. What can I do RIGHT NOW to ensure I will reach my full height potential. Also I am overweight right now so will that have an affect?

Thanks, I know I've asked so many questions and I know you aren't all magicial height god's, but a second opinion really does reassure me :smile:
it is entirely possible that you will grow some more.
however, it is not all that important.
certain professions such as basketball player or Grenadier Guard require tallness.
otherwise you can do what you want at 5'8"

:h:
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
it is entirely possible that you will grow some more.
however, it is not all that important.
certain professions such as basketball player or Grenadier Guard require tallness.
otherwise you can do what you want at 5'8"

:h:

That's very true! But I just want to be above average so bad!!! :colondollar:
Original post by UMP43
I've had many posts on here about height as I'm very self conscious about mine and how short I am compared to my friends and everyone around me in school...

A quick rundown of me and my family height.

Me: 5'8, 17yrs
Mum: 5'6
Dad: 5'9
Sister: 5'11, 20yrs
Brother: 5'6 12yrs!

Now that you have my family height will I be able to grow taller at 17 as a male who is only 5'8? I know a lot of height comes down to genetics but if that's the case how has my sister came out to be 5'11 as a girl and my brother is on track to be over 6'0 at around 18... Where do I fall, why am I not tall already, will I grow taller?

I like to believe I started puberty later than my peers, if so, how does that affect my final adult height, also I do recall 1 small growth spurt at around 14-15 where I grew from 5'5 to 5'8 where I am now... I've read that boys go through 2 growth spurts, and I've certainly not had my second yet as I'm still 5'8, so here is the 1 million dollar question that I'm about to ask for the 3rd or 4th time...

WILL I GROW TALLER?

I really hope I do, and for an add-on question. What can I do RIGHT NOW to ensure I will reach my full height potential. Also I am overweight right now so will that have an affect?

Thanks, I know I've asked so many questions and I know you aren't all magicial height god's, but a second opinion really does reassure me :smile:

Lose any excess weight. You might make 5' 10". Not that the two are necessarily linked, but being as healthy as possible, eating well and keeping fit are likely to be supportive during a second growth spurt.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Lose any excess weight. You might make 5' 10". Not that the two are necessarily linked, but being as healthy as possible, eating well and keeping fit are likely to be supportive during a second growth spurt.

That's my main aim right now, losing weight. Hopefully later down the line that will lead to a second growth spurt.
Original post by UMP43
That's my main aim right now, losing weight. Hopefully later down the line that will lead to a second growth spurt.

Just make sure you lose weight by eating healthily and upping your physical activity. It won't support growth if you just reduce calorie intake.
Reply 6
Just make sure you lose weight by eating healthily and upping your physical activity. It won't support growth if you just reduce calorie intake.

Thanks for this! I've been in a calorie deficit so I've been cutting down a lot of calories, will this affect my height if I'm consuming 1000-1500 calories a day?
Original post by UMP43
Thanks for this! I've been in a calorie deficit so I've been cutting down a lot of calories, will this affect my height if I'm consuming 1000-1500 calories a day?

You need calories to grow. Put as many good calories in as you can as fuel for growth, then walk the spare ones off. Speak to your GP or a nurse in the surgery, I'm not a nutritionist. But just reducing calorie intake isn't going to help, because you will be reducing nutrients you need for growth.
Original post by UMP43
That's very true! But I just want to be above average so bad!!! :colondollar:

you know that half of the UK male population are below average height ? that is about 16 million people with todgers.
Reply 9
You need calories to grow. Put as many good calories in as you can as fuel for growth, then walk the spare ones off. Speak to your GP or a nurse in the surgery, I'm not a nutritionist. But just reducing calorie intake isn't going to help, because you will be reducing nutrients you need for growth.

Can I eat in a deficit but still consume healthy foods and nutrients that will help me lose weight + be good for growth?
Original post by UMP43
Can I eat in a deficit but still consume healthy foods and nutrients that will help me lose weight + be good for growth?

I wouldn't have thought so no, feeding yourself and becoming fitter at the same time to burn off the excess would be the healthier way - especially as you are hoping to optimise growth.
Reply 11
I wouldn't have thought so no, feeding yourself and becoming fitter at the same time to burn off the excess would be the healthier way - especially as you are hoping to optimise growth.

How would I go about doing this, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest