The Student Room Group

Can't differentiate between dreams and real life

So this has happened to me on and off for a few years but recently I've had another long spell of not being able to tell if something happened in a dream or whether it was in real life and I'll have to double check things a lot to make sure or like really think about it carefully to remember. I'm not really sure why this happens. I sleep a lot and generally feel very tired all the time - this has been going on for about 4 months however my bloods are all normal so I don't think there's much physically wrong with me.
My dreams are generally very life-like and 'real' which is why I sometimes get confused if something happened in reality or not. Some example are like texting someone something or receiving a message and then having to check if I actually got or sent a particular message. Also it might be misplacing/moving things or even buying things online that I have to check for in case I did it in a dream or not.
Another thing to add is that I sleep walk and talk a fair bit too. Not every night apparently but probably around once a week at its worst and can get up and wonder around the house or become seemingly distressed. I don't actually remember any of these though, I'm just told this by whoever's in the house during the night.
Would be interested in knowing if anyone else experiences these things. I'm also wondering whether this heavy dreaming might contribute to me being so tired during the day too?
Thanks a lot!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So this has happened to me on and off for a few years but recently I've had another long spell of not being able to tell if something happened in a dream or whether it was in real life and I'll have to double check things a lot to make sure or like really think about it carefully to remember. I'm not really sure why this happens. I sleep a lot and generally feel very tired all the time - this has been going on for about 4 months however my bloods are all normal so I don't think there's much physically wrong with me.
My dreams are generally very life-like and 'real' which is why I sometimes get confused if something happened in reality or not. Some example are like texting someone something or receiving a message and then having to check if I actually got or sent a particular message. Also it might be misplacing/moving things or even buying things online that I have to check for in case I did it in a dream or not.
Another thing to add is that I sleep walk and talk a fair bit too. Not every night apparently but probably around once a week at its worst and can get up and wonder around the house or become seemingly distressed. I don't actually remember any of these though, I'm just told this by whoever's in the house during the night.
Would be interested in knowing if anyone else experiences these things. I'm also wondering whether this heavy dreaming might contribute to me being so tired during the day too?
Thanks a lot!

Are you on any medication such as a ssri?
Reply 2
Original post by kitkatsnickers
Are you on any medication such as a ssri?

No meds, no
Reply 3
Thanks a lot!

What has your GP said?
Reply 4
Haven't been about this issue as I recon it would just waste their time tbh
Well, with the mixing up dreams and real life - I can relate completely. I wouldn't say it's normal - I only know one other person who does this - but I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about, just a sign you have very vivid dreams. I avoided a friend for a day once because I thought we had an argument but then I realised it actually happened in a dream sooo yeah, it can be really irritating.
With the tiredness, if you are super tired all the time that might be something to go to the GP about, cos it might be unrelated (like anaemia or something), or it could be stress or something, which would make sense if the dreams are worse at the moment. I'm not a doctor so always go get professional help if you are worried.
Seriously though - mixing up dreams and life can be so irritating, I have complete sympathy there. Don't worry, you're not alone!
Reply 6
Original post by mutants are best
Well, with the mixing up dreams and real life - I can relate completely. I wouldn't say it's normal - I only know one other person who does this - but I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about, just a sign you have very vivid dreams. I avoided a friend for a day once because I thought we had an argument but then I realised it actually happened in a dream sooo yeah, it can be really irritating.
With the tiredness, if you are super tired all the time that might be something to go to the GP about, cos it might be unrelated (like anaemia or something), or it could be stress or something, which would make sense if the dreams are worse at the moment. I'm not a doctor so always go get professional help if you are worried.
Seriously though - mixing up dreams and life can be so irritating, I have complete sympathy there. Don't worry, you're not alone!

Ah I'm glad to hear other people get this too! I'm not too worried tbh, just find it quite frustrating as you mentioned. Thanks!
Are you a Pisces? Just wondering lol. It would be funny if you were.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Chicken.M.
Are you a Pisces? Just wondering lol. It would be funny if you were.

No I'm not haha. How come?
No I'm not haha. How come?

Ah right lol. Pisces are supposed to be really daydreamy and lost in their heads like that.
I don't really want to waste their time with this tbh. Seems more trivial to me than something serious
Pretty sure the 2 main symptoms of psychosis are hallucinations and delusions, which I don't have so doubt the GP would even bother.
Thanks a lot!

I also can't seem to concentrate on things anymore. Like I want to be productive and get things done but everything just gets blurry after a few minutes of working/concentrating and my mind just wanders an I can't
Reply 13
I also can't seem to concentrate on things anymore. Like I want to be productive and get things done but everything just gets blurry after a few minutes of working/concentrating and my mind just wanders an I can't

How old are you and what is your situation re work/studying?
Original post by Kerzen
How old are you and what is your situation re work/studying?

I'm 19, studying med
I don't have delusions tho :wink:
Reply 16
I'm 19, studying med

You are 19 and at Medical School?
Original post by Kerzen

yep
Original post by Kerzen

Yep
Reply 19
Yep

How does what you have described impact on your ability to do well in your studies?

Quick Reply

Latest