The Student Room Group

University BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE

Does anyone know any good Biomed courses to go to at uni that will accept lower predicted grades AAB-ABC? But is still like a high up university.
Personally I went to UWE (University of West England) to do Biomedical Science. It isn’t that high up the tables (currently 56 if I recall correctly) but the student satisfaction rate is actually ranked 12 in the country and tbh, it’s student support was AMAZING!

Right now I’m an associate practitioner as I got promoted from a medical lab assistant (went into teaching for a couple of years and absolutely hated it to be honest).

Facilities were good but went to a few societies and people were friendly and it was easy to make friends there. Entry requirements are 120 UCAS points, been a while since I had to do that kind of thing but I think that lines up with your predicted grades. 🙂

Once you get your first job, experience is the main deciding factor as to whether you’ll get another job, classification counts too somewhat (even if you get a 2.2, once you get experience and a job or two under your belt, experience takes priority over classification). The actual uni you went to doesn’t matter too much unless you go to the very high ranking ones, unless your employer favours a particular university for its course structure. 🙂
(edited 2 years ago)
Fair warning though, you can’t go straight from uni into being a BMS, you need to get a job in a HCPC (health care professions council) registered lab for training you to give you yours and that could take years to get to do your IBMS portfolio.

Your degree may be IBMS accredited but you will probably not be given a HCPC certificate.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Fair warning though, you can’t go straight from uni into being a BMS, you need to get a job in a HCPC (health care professions council) registered lab for training you to give you yours and that could take years to get to do your IBMS portfolio.

Your degree may be IBMS accredited but you will probably not be given a HCPC certificate.

Just an FYI, this isn’t strictly true. Some IBMS accredited courses offer placement years to complete the portfolio. I am going straight from university into a BMS position. Also, there’s the Healthcare Science (Life Sciences) course, which is recommended if you want to be a BMS, that is a 3 year course that includes placements and results in HCPC registration. So there are ways to go straight into a BMS position straight for university :smile:
Original post by Beecar98
Just an FYI, this isn’t strictly true. Some IBMS accredited courses offer placement years to complete the portfolio. I am going straight from university into a BMS position. Also, there’s the Healthcare Science (Life Sciences) course, which is recommended if you want to be a BMS, that is a 3 year course that includes placements and results in HCPC registration. So there are ways to go straight into a BMS position straight for university :smile:

Indeed - I'm (hopefully) going to Robert Gordon University in September to study Biomedical Science; and they're HSPC and IBMS accredited if you go down the 'applied' route. There aren't any Healthcare Science courses in Scotland, unfortunately.

Here's a link for the HCPC approved BMS/Healthcare Science courses: https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/approved-programmes-results/?Professions=270450001&ProviderQueryString=&IntakeModes=Open
Original post by Kat_Buchan
Indeed - I'm (hopefully) going to Robert Gordon University in September to study Biomedical Science; and they're HSPC and IBMS accredited if you go down the 'applied' route. There aren't any Healthcare Science courses in Scotland, unfortunately.

Here's a link for the HCPC approved BMS/Healthcare Science courses: https://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/approved-programmes/approved-programmes-results/?Professions=270450001&ProviderQueryString=&IntakeModes=Open

Fair enough, I’m not very familiar with the healthcare science course to be honest as it’s not the route I went down! Interesting there isn’t any in Scotland tho 🤔

Good luck with getting into uni and your degree 😀
Original post by hill.lily
Does anyone know any good Biomed courses to go to at uni that will accept lower predicted grades AAB-ABC? But is still like a high up university.

Hi @hill.lily

I am a final year biomedical science student at Coventry University and have had a fantastic experience at the university and on the course. If you'd like to find out more about BMS here, let me know and I'd be more than happy to help! :smile:

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
BMS Student
Reply 7
I got an ABC offer from kings but it was contextual so maybe see if you’re eligible?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending