The Student Room Group

Exeter, Strathclyde, or Loughborough for MSc Finance and Management?

Hi everyone,

I am from Malaysia and I have received offers to study a MSc in Finance and Management at the following universities - Exeter, Strathclyde, and Loughborough. All these universities offer similar modules, which is why I am struggling to choose between them. My plan is to work in the UK after graduating, hence I am looking to choose a university based on employability prospects.

I am slightly inclined towards Exeter because it’s a Russell Group university, but Strathclyde has a very good business school, and Loughborough is ranked very high in the domestic rankings. In terms of international rankings, both Exeter and Strathclyde appear in the top 150, whereas Loughborough falls in the 200s. Assuming that I obtain a high grade in either of these universities (and I have completed multiple internships in Malaysia as well), which university would give me a greater chance of getting employed? Looking forward to hearing some valuable inputs, they are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I would rank them as follows:
1) Exeter
2) Strathclyde
3) Loughborough

As you correctly pointed out Exeter is a Russell Group, Strathclyde has a decent reputation as a business school and Loughborough is relatively highly ranked overall (although its strong point is it sport studies).

However, I would advise you to aim also a bit higher to increase your employability chances (have you looked into Bayes Business School or Warwick for example?).
Reply 2
Original post by ppapanastasiou
I would rank them as follows:
1) Exeter
2) Strathclyde
3) Loughborough

As you correctly pointed out Exeter is a Russell Group, Strathclyde has a decent reputation as a business school and Loughborough is relatively highly ranked overall (although its strong point is it sport studies).

However, I would advise you to aim also a bit higher to increase your employability chances (have you looked into Bayes Business School or Warwick for example?).

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply. I have looked into those business schools as well. However, they don't offer the specific course (MSc Finance and Management) and the variety of modules that I am interested in, which are found in Exeter, Strathclyde and Loughborough. I guess I will aim to do well for my masters and brush up on my interview skills to stand the best chance of finding a job. Other universities such as East Anglia, Kent, Surrey and Sussex offer this course, but my employability chances are higher with Exeter.
Original post by thegoodlad
Hi everyone,

I am from Malaysia and I have received offers to study a MSc in Finance and Management at the following universities - Exeter, Strathclyde, and Loughborough. All these universities offer similar modules, which is why I am struggling to choose between them. My plan is to work in the UK after graduating, hence I am looking to choose a university based on employability prospects.

I am slightly inclined towards Exeter because it’s a Russell Group university, but Strathclyde has a very good business school, and Loughborough is ranked very high in the domestic rankings. In terms of international rankings, both Exeter and Strathclyde appear in the top 150, whereas Loughborough falls in the 200s. Assuming that I obtain a high grade in either of these universities (and I have completed multiple internships in Malaysia as well), which university would give me a greater chance of getting employed? Looking forward to hearing some valuable inputs, they are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi @thegoodlad :hello:

Congratulations on receiving an offer to study MSc Finance and Management at Loughborough!

There's lots of factors to consider when it comes to making a university decision. Perhaps have a think and weigh up the importance of each to you and what it is you want from a university, to help narrow down your decision :smile: These factors could include...

Course - look carefully at the topics and modules you will study on the programme. Would you be happy studying all of them? A degree is a big commitment, so it's important that you will be happy studying the course for its entire duration. You might also consider the course's reputation, accreditation, facilities and career opportunities post-study.

Student support - take a look at the support services available at the university to ensure they have everything you may need to succeed during your studies. Our Careers Network is here to help you capitalise on your postgraduate studies by providing the very best information, advice, guidance and events for your future career, and the University ranked 1st in the UK for employer-student connections in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020.

Furthermore, our School of Business and Economics is committed to helping you develop the skills and attributes you need to progress successfully in your chosen career.

As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting you with your personal and professional development, all postgraduate students within the School have the opportunity to attend an impressive range of extra-curricular masterclasses and public lectures all free of charge. These offer you the chance to broaden your horizons through a wide range of business-related topics, with speakers from the Bank of England, Shazam, Shell and Dell to name just a few.

Graduates from our MSc Finance and Management are employed in a wide range of financial, management and accountancy roles.

Recent graduate destinations include:

Trader, Axis (Greece)

Forensic Analyst, Forensic Science Service

Broker, GFI

Bank Management Trainee, HSBC

Account Executive, Howden Risk Partners

Chartered Accountant, Royal Bank of Scotland

Business Analyst, Santander

Treasury Accountant, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development

Branch manager, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd (China)

Tax Consultant, PwC (China)

Risk Compliance Consultant, Deloitte (China)

Account Audit Consultant, EY (China)

Location - Would you prefer a city or a university market town like Loughborough? What are the transport links like if you want to travel? Loughborough is well-connected by road, rail and air, and offers everything you need as a student and more within easy reach, offering a friendly, close-knit community environment.

Campus - linked to location, what sort of campus would you prefer? At Loughborough, we have a stunning 440-acre single-site campus to call home, with everything you need as a student and more, including green open spaces, landscaped gardens, woodlands, academic buildings, accommodation, sports and leisure facilities, the Students' Union, and a variety of restaurants, shops, bars and cafes.

Accommodation - would you prefer to live on or off campus, and what options are there? At Loughborough, we have three self-catered halls of residence available for postgraduates, either on or a short walk from campus. There's also a wide range of private accommodation available too within easy reach of campus.

Student experience - what extra-curricular activities and opportunities are there for you to get involved with to meet new people and develop your skills? For example, we have lots of opportunities available with the Students' Union, LU Arts and Loughborough Sport.

I hope this helps! You'll find lots more information at our online prospectus, including reasons to study here and student stories. You can also find independent student reviews on StudentCrowd.

All the best!
-Dan :smile:
If you are restricting yourself to these unis you mentioned I believe also that Exeter is the best choice most probably given its reputation.
Reply 5
What sort of jobs would you be looking for?
by the way Loughborough offers also the following masters: Finance and Investment, Economics and Finance and Mathematical Finance.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
What sort of jobs would you be looking for?

I am looking to work in the financial sector, preferably in investment. I have chosen to pursue a joint Finance and Management masters because I feel that management techniques are very important in the workplace, and it would be useful to me if I was ever to attain a managerial position.
Reply 8
Original post by ppapanastasiou
by the way Loughborough offers also the following masters: Finance and Investment, Economics and Finance and Mathematical Finance.

Thank you for letting me know, I am just more inclined to Exeter as they also offer modules which are found in the Masters courses that you have listed :smile:
Reply 9
Another question that I would like to ask - the MSc course which Exeter offers has a 9-month programme and a 12-month programme. The only difference is that I don't need to write a dissertation in the 9-month programme. Would it be more useful to employers if they see you have written a dissertation? I mean, it does give a proper indication of one's research skills, right?
I don't think employers care so much about dissertations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending