The Student Room Group

Hiding sexuality- Lgbt without parents knowing

What’s everyone’s experiences hiding their sexuality from their parents

Scroll to see replies

it's hell to me because I feel like they dont know me at all. At the same time, I have to do it because if they find out and they stop paying for my rent, I will be homeless. You gotta do what you gotta do. when I graduate and get a job I will tell them, as I will be able to pay for all of my expenses by myself so if they want to cut me off they can do it.

You?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
it's hell to me because I feel like they dont know me at all. At the same time, I have to do it because if they find out and they stop paying for my rent, I will be homeless. You gotta do what you gotta do. when I graduate and get a job I will tell them, as I will be able to pay for all of my expenses by myself so if they want to cut me off they can do it.

You?

My mum went on my phone once and saw a conversation of a girl liking me and me liking her, she was quite disrespectful about it so I had to convince her I’m straight even though I’m bi. My family just make offensive comments about lgbt even though other people’s lives have nothing to do with them. It’s hard as well because I like girls more than guys and I can’t even talk to girls because it’s hard to recognise bi or les girls since I’m not open about being bi myself. When I go to uni I’ll finally be able to be myself and meet new people.
ye it was the same for me. at boarding school and university, I was able to discover myself. I used to think I was bi, but I was then able to understand I am a lesbian. also, you seem to be younger but you can try dating apps when you are older because meeting LGBTQ+ people is sooo hard!
Reply 4
ye it was the same for me. at boarding school and university, I was able to discover myself. I used to think I was bi, but I was then able to understand I am a lesbian. also, you seem to be younger but you can try dating apps when you are older because meeting LGBTQ+ people is sooo hard!

I’m 18 and only realised last year I liked girls wbu
oh I am older (21) and I have known for a while.. like for at least 6/7 years, but I only embraced it 4 years ago
Not fun lol, came out as bi it went horribly. Like they’d talk behind my back, ask stupid questions, try to convince me I am completely wrong. Few weeks later had to convince them I was straight again like making up crushes agreeing with my mum when she says ‘oh he’s good looking’ etc. Anyway I’m glad I convinced them I’m straight because they always make such disrespectful comments and jokes at people on the tv who are LGBTQ+ and I couldn’t be dealing with knowing they might be talking about me like that:/
What’s everyone’s experiences hiding their sexuality from their parents

I didnt even hide it, I was just like f*** it and told them. They are trans/homophobic, I should have known it was a mistake. #homelessat16 #WAPforme

Nah but all jokes aside, if ur parents are of the right sort, dont hide it. It makes it difficult in the long run. If they are trans/homophobic well thats a different story (probably dont tell them^)

My best friend has been closeted from her family for almost 2 years now and it sucks :frown:

But yeah have a nice day and remember jesus loves u
My mate brought a girl round to his parents house just because he was too scared to admit he was gay because his parents said if he was gay they would kick him out
Reply 9
Not fun lol, came out as bi it went horribly. Like they’d talk behind my back, ask stupid questions, try to convince me I am completely wrong. Few weeks later had to convince them I was straight again like making up crushes agreeing with my mum when she says ‘oh he’s good looking’ etc. Anyway I’m glad I convinced them I’m straight because they always make such disrespectful comments and jokes at people on the tv who are LGBTQ+ and I couldn’t be dealing with knowing they might be talking about me like that:/

I can relate so much this is exactly how it was for me, are you in uni yet? I feel like uni is the place to feel better about ourselves
My mate brought a girl round to his parents house just because he was too scared to admit he was gay because his parents said if he was gay they would kick him out

That’s so harsh :frown:
I can relate so much this is exactly how it was for me, are you in uni yet? I feel like uni is the place to feel better about ourselves

No I’m not at uni yet, going this year! :smile: wbu? I’m hoping to join some lgbt societies
Hi i am 16 and came out a couple of months ago to my mum as a lesbian.
It was very hard for both of us plenty of tears from both of us
She even wanted to take me to the doctors to get it sorted out, she is a bit old fashioned
But we are getting on a bit better now. X
No I’m not at uni yet, going this year! :smile: wbu? I’m hoping to join some lgbt societies

I’m going to uni this year too, and same!
Original post by Prettyfrock
She even wanted to take me to the doctors to get it sorted out, she is a bit old fashioned

That is good that she finally came to an acceptance, I can’t imagine my parents ever being accepting of it x
That is good that she finally came to an acceptance, I can’t imagine my parents ever being accepting of it x

Thanks
Well I came out as bi to my mom on June 3rd, but before then I said I supported them even though all my siblings and my mom are super homophobic. My mom told me I’m dumb and need to change or I’ll go to hell. I get lectured all the time for it
Original post by Prettyfrock

Tradition-minded people will have a very long way in accommodating non-cis-heterosexuality.
Original post by fellowweebhere
Well I came out as bi to my mom on June 3rd, but before then I said I supported them even though all my siblings and my mom are super homophobic. My mom told me I’m dumb and need to change or I’ll go to hell. I get lectured all the time for it

So sorry to hear that, it’s hard knowing the ppl who should care about us just don’t accept who we are ;(
Original post by fellowweebhere

Where do you live? I heard that the Southeastern part of the United States seems to harbor people with such attitudes. Your family doesn't seem to be bothered to accommodate your status.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending