The Student Room Group
University of York
York

cost of renting a room or studio flat in York as a studnet

Hi everyone,
my sister is coming to York if everything goes as a plan.
i am trying to find out out the cost of rent single, double and en-suite rooms?
so, if you can kindly tell me the average rent price in the York and what area should we start looking at?
i live in oxford myself , as oxford is a small city you can live near to oxford university colleges or brookes uni within 10 to 40 minutes walk.
area close to uni are Jericho, Summertown, iffley and cowley.
how about in York, what area can we have a look and i believe like elsewhere
spare room is best place to have a look for a room or studio flat?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Regards,
Original post by joe ka
Hi everyone,
my sister is coming to York if everything goes as a plan.
i am trying to find out out the cost of rent single, double and en-suite rooms?
so, if you can kindly tell me the average rent price in the York and what area should we start looking at?
i live in oxford myself , as oxford is a small city you can live near to oxford university colleges or brookes uni within 10 to 40 minutes walk.
area close to uni are Jericho, Summertown, iffley and cowley.
how about in York, what area can we have a look and i believe like elsewhere
spare room is best place to have a look for a room or studio flat?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Regards,

Hi there,

As York is a campus university, you can rent a room on campus and be on the doorstep of your department and loads of useful amenities. We have Campus East and Campus West. Both are a short bus ride from the city centre. You can also easily travel between campuses on a free shuttle bus or a short walk. There's a variety of different rooms, including shared bathroom and ensuite. All of the information is on this page and applications are now open! I'd recommend looking at the campus map to see which colleges are near your sister's department as well as comparing room styles and prices.

I lived on campus during my first year and I really enjoyed the community atmosphere and being near everything, including all my new friends!

Alternatively, you can look for private accommodation in the city. Most students do this in their second and third years. Lots of students live in the Badger Hill, Fulford, Osbaldwick, Layerthorpe and Tang Hall areas of York. These are the closest areas to campus and are generally the cheapest as well. There are loads of student letting agencies in York, you can just look up 'student lets York' and get a whole list of them (Adam Bennett, IG Property, Sinclair, APYork etc.)

There are also rooms in private accommodation blocks like Student Castle, Vita Student, Foss Studios, The Boulevard and more. These are generally closer to the city centre than campus, but it's still easy to travel to campus. It just depends on your preferences!

It's hard to give an estimate for an average price, as all the accommodation types are so different! But if you have an explore of all these options I'm sure you'll find something suitable. There's more info on the links above, which might also be useful.

Finally, these student blogs might help- they're written by currents students who were only recently in your sister's shoes:
My advice for choosing your accommodation
What to consider when choosing accommodation
My tips for choosing your accommodation

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Graduate Ambassador
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

As York is a campus university, you can rent a room on campus and be on the doorstep of your department and loads of useful amenities. We have Campus East and Campus West. Both are a short bus ride from the city centre. You can also easily travel between campuses on a free shuttle bus or a short walk. There's a variety of different rooms, including shared bathroom and ensuite. All of the information is on this page and applications are now open! I'd recommend looking at the campus map to see which colleges are near your sister's department as well as comparing room styles and prices.

I lived on campus during my first year and I really enjoyed the community atmosphere and being near everything, including all my new friends!

Alternatively, you can look for private accommodation in the city. Most students do this in their second and third years. Lots of students live in the Badger Hill, Fulford, Osbaldwick, Layerthorpe and Tang Hall areas of York. These are the closest areas to campus and are generally the cheapest as well. There are loads of student letting agencies in York, you can just look up 'student lets York' and get a whole list of them (Adam Bennett, IG Property, Sinclair, APYork etc.)

There are also rooms in private accommodation blocks like Student Castle, Vita Student, Foss Studios, The Boulevard and more. These are generally closer to the city centre than campus, but it's still easy to travel to campus. It just depends on your preferences!

It's hard to give an estimate for an average price, as all the accommodation types are so different! But if you have an explore of all these options I'm sure you'll find something suitable. There's more info on the links above, which might also be useful.

Finally, these student blogs might help- they're written by currents students who were only recently in your sister's shoes:
My advice for choosing your accommodation
What to consider when choosing accommodation
My tips for choosing your accommodation

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Graduate Ambassador

Thanks very much Hazel i think we are going with the uni accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending