The Student Room Group

Internet problem

So the internet in my accommodation is pretty bad, can’t run some games at all because of it. Tried buying an Ethernet cable for my laptop and run it off that still nothing. Any other suggestions please? Just want to try and play Cod and have a stable connection.
Reply 1
Take it up with your uni. Can't really do anymore.
Original post by HL_43
Take it up with your uni. Can't really do anymore.

Yeah I’ve emailed them and no reply, going to try finding a number and calling them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
When you run a broadband speed test, what are your download, upload and ping results?
https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0le
When you run a broadband speed test, what are your download, upload and ping results?
https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

It’s 63 mps
Do you know how many other users you're sharing this connection with?

All it takes is 2 or 3 users to be streaming video or to download a game update or to be uploading large files for it to make your Internet connection annoyingly slow and inconsistent.
Reply 6
Original post by RandomTennisfan
It’s 63 mps

So I have not heard of that unit before and you should have received three numbers with units, a download speed, an upload speed and a ping. For online gaming with FPS styled games, ideally you want a low ping, something around 5ms but anything less then 50ms should be fine. If you are getting pings of 100ms or higher you will experience lag.
Original post by 0le
So I have not heard of that unit before and you should have received three numbers with units, a download speed, an upload speed and a ping. For online gaming with FPS styled games, ideally you want a low ping, something around 5ms but anything less then 50ms should be fine. If you are getting pings of 100ms or higher you will experience lag.

Think they meant mbps
Reply 8
Original post by RandomTennisfan
So the internet in my accommodation is pretty bad, can’t run some games at all because of it. Tried buying an Ethernet cable for my laptop and run it off that still nothing. Any other suggestions please? Just want to try and play Cod and have a stable connection.

What do you mean by they can't run at all? Do you mean that they don't start? Or that you can't play multiplayer games across the network? Is it possible that this is a NAT problem?

Your best bet is to contact the IT department, tell them which game(s) don't work, and see what they suggest.
Mobile Hotspot?
So an update on this the people who deal with the internet confirmed there is actually a problem between the connection lines and an engineer is coming to sort it. When I say games can’t run the online won’t load at all like Cod Cold War and others
Reply 11
Okay, well good luck. Let us know what the problem turned out to be if possible.
Original post by 0le
Okay, well good luck. Let us know what the problem turned out to be if possible.

The router was the problem which needs replacing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending