The Student Room Group

Accepting that I am going to fail my first year of university

Essentially I have been at university for the past nine months and it had been the worse experience of my life. I know COVID hasn’t helped but I still feel dreadful and am not sure University is for me.

I have effectively done nothing on a day to day basis and it has ruined my mental health.

I handed in my final unit today and I don’t think it’s good enough for me to pass and am accepting that I will fail. I can’t change it as I only have until tomorrow and that simply is not long enough.

How to accept failure?
Original post by Anonymous
Essentially I have been at university for the past nine months and it had been the worse experience of my life. I know COVID hasn’t helped but I still feel dreadful and am not sure University is for me.

I have effectively done nothing on a day to day basis and it has ruined my mental health.

I handed in my final unit today and I don’t think it’s good enough for me to pass and am accepting that I will fail. I can’t change it as I only have until tomorrow and that simply is not long enough.

How to accept failure?

My advice to you would be to not focus on the fact you failed, but to reflect on what made you fail and try to make positive changes in your life in order to not fail again in the future. Making mistakes / failing is a crucial part of life and its a huge factor in how we learn, grow and change as people. Im not saying this is easy and you might have to face some home truths about yourself. For example maybe you were too tired to get up for your 9am teams lectures and slept in - why were you too tired? Could you have gone to sleep earlier? Were you drinking the night before? Did you stay up playing video games? etc etc. Reflect on your behaviours and attitudes which cause you to fail and address them with positive solutions. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by NappyMetcalf
My advice to you would be to not focus on the fact you failed, but to reflect on what made you fail and try to make positive changes in your life in order to not fail again in the future. Making mistakes / failing is a crucial part of life and its a huge factor in how we learn, grow and change as people. Im not saying this is easy and you might have to face some home truths about yourself. For example maybe you were too tired to get up for your 9am teams lectures and slept in - why were you too tired? Could you have gone to sleep earlier? Were you drinking the night before? Did you stay up playing video games? etc etc. Reflect on your behaviours and attitudes which cause you to fail and address them with positive solutions. Good luck!

I don’t drink, play video games (not often) and get to bed at a reasonable hour. I did hand in my work on time for this module however I worry that it will not be enough for me to pass.

I have been severely depressed all year and mainly, due to the COVID lockdown (the impact this has had on students) and this is why I didn’t put as much work into this module as I should have
I don’t drink, play video games (not often) and get to bed at a reasonable hour. I did hand in my work on time for this module however I worry that it will not be enough for me to pass.

I have been severely depressed all year and mainly, due to the COVID lockdown (the impact this has had on students) and this is why I didn’t put as much work into this module as I should have

The example wasn't me making assumptions about you and your situation it was just to demonstrate what I meant by asking yourself reflective questions.

What is it about the lockdown that has made you severely depressed? Could you have done anything differently that would have made you less depressed?
Reply 4
Original post by NappyMetcalf
The example wasn't me making assumptions about you and your situation it was just to demonstrate what I meant by asking yourself reflective questions.

What is it about the lockdown that has made you severely depressed? Could you have done anything differently that would have made you less depressed?

Not really. I’ve barely left the house whatsoever and it made me sad (as I barely go into university). It feels like I am a prisoner in my own house
You just have to get over it. Just don't be a snowflake next year and you should be fine
Reply 6
You just have to get over it. Just don't be a snowflake next year and you should be fine

Hopefully I won’t fail but if I do I will drop out as this year of my degree has very nearly ended me.

What do you mean by snowflake?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending