I want to move out but im clueless

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So im nearly 19 i want to move out into a flat but the problem i dont know how everything works you know how you pay rent and stuff like that i know you have viewing first and u fill in papers
but what documents you need and what method do you use to pay rent how is deposit work and how is it paid like they don't teach you theses things in school or college so most people get help from parents but obviously my mum had kids and been on benefits all her life and only had council houses so she wouldn't know much and my dad never had place as he lived rent free at my mums

But reason is arguing been happening at home and im fed up of it and all the babysitting as well i just want to get away from it so i need step by step how everything works when renting a flat and what i need to know
username4144852
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Good for you for wanting to move out and be independent. The first step is to make sure you have a full time job and earn enough money to pay the rent, bills (water, gas/electric, council tax, tv license), food, travel expenses, leisure, savings etc. Some places you just rent a room rather than a whole flat which is cheaper, do a search on right move and see what’s available in the area you want and how much it costs then you can plan. You usually need a couple of months rent as a deposit up front so get saving. Then the best way to really find out is to apply and go from there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Gazelleintense)
Good for you for wanting to move out and be independent. The first step is to make sure you have a full time job and earn enough money to pay the rent, bills (water, gas/electric, council tax, tv license), food, travel expenses, leisure, savings etc. Some places you just rent a room rather than a whole flat which is cheaper, do a search on right move and see what’s available in the area you want and how much it costs then you can plan. You usually need a couple of months rent as a deposit up front so get saving. Then the best way to really find out is to apply and go from there.
I have full time job as night care assistant and i was told about shared house but i didnt like the idea of being with strangers coz the idea freaks me out yeah just confused about how rent is payed is it direct debit or something like done on online i have fort putting myself on waiting list for council flat as its cheaper (340amonth) but waiting list can take months or even years but depends on circumstances and i wouldnt have to worry about landlord moving or selling on and having to move again
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
You can understand how tenancies work by reading information on the Shelter website which is a housing advice charity.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So im nearly 19 i want to move out into a flat but the problem i dont know how everything works you know how you pay rent and stuff like that i know you have viewing first and u fill in papers
but what documents you need and what method do you use to pay rent how is deposit work and how is it paid like they don't teach you theses things in school or college so most people get help from parents but obviously my mum had kids and been on benefits all her life and only had council houses so she wouldn't know much and my dad never had place as he lived rent free at my mums

But reason is arguing been happening at home and im fed up of it and all the babysitting as well i just want to get away from it so i need step by step how everything works when renting a flat and what i need to know
You’ll either need a guarantor or substantial enough income that the leasing agent can give you the property.

Assuming you want a furnished apartment it’s quite easy, you find ones you like, call up for viewings. If you like it you normally pay a damage deposit (normally a few hundred quid) then sign a contract and you move in.

You’ll need to setup accounts with all the bills companies & a standing order for your rent. Then your done.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
You’ll either need a guarantor or substantial enough income that the leasing agent can give you the property.

Assuming you want a furnished apartment it’s quite easy, you find ones you like, call up for viewings. If you like it you normally pay a damage deposit (normally a few hundred quid) then sign a contract and you move in.

You’ll need to setup accounts with all the bills companies & a standing order for your rent. Then your done.
Standing order?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Standing order?
Basically a thing that transfers money on an interval basis, so in this case once a month from you to the landlord for your rent.

It’s just a bank transfer but automated.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Basically a thing that transfers money on an interval basis, so in this case once a month from you to the landlord for your rent.

It’s just a bank transfer but automated.
Oh okay i think i saw that on my online banking app
rightuptomy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Step 1 to move out: Have at least £3,000 in money. Go rent a a flat
rightuptomy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Make sure you have a full time job or monthly payments from parents
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads