The Student Room Group

Regret not moving out - what do I do??

Hi guys,
basically I'm in a weird situation and I don't know which path to take from here.

So, I'm in my first year of Uni and I decided to pick a local Uni and stay at home, because of I initially wasn't particularly keen on moving out and had different ideas and underlying values/beliefs of what I'd do with my degree and my life, in general. Plus, because of covid, and we don't really have a culture where kids move out (I come from a South East Asian background), so I didn't bother. But, now, a year on, I have not enjoyed my year at all, it hasn't even felt like I was at Uni, it just felt like I was doing a long online course and I just don't feel like I'm using my full potential and that it's worth the huge amount of loan that it comes with. Also, I'm thinking if I stay at home now, I will never be able to move out and will likely follow the default path of finishing my degree, then getting a job and getting married, and I really don't want that (this might sound absurd to you, but that's how it is in our family).

So, I'm now thinking of transferring to another University so that I can move out and that way, I will experience new things, grow up a bit, be more independent and enjoy the years as well.

However, the problem with that is that my current University is a really good, top ten Russel Group uni, and if I'd transfer, the Unis that would get me in are in the medium to low ranked Universities, so then I'm wondering whether I'm making a mistake by moving out just because of hypothetical assumptions and the want of experiencing new things, and if that would impact my career (I'm studying psychology). Also, I'm quite scared of getting into the process of transferring and applying for accommodation as I haven't ever done that before and it'll already be second year, so I would be in with mates who'd potentially already know each other, although this is a minor issue.

So if you have any advice on what I should do, please do feel free to post your responses and I very much look forward to read them!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TL;DR: I'm in my first year and didn't move out, but now I regret it and want to, so should I transfer Uni that is much lower ranked than the current Russel Group I'm at? The option of moving out to the local Uni accommodation won't work, for various reasons.
Are you still able to move out at the uni you are at right now because it seems like that will be the best option?. But also isn't it like this for everyone at the moment because of lockdown and stuff?, it might be better next year when societies etc start opening up again.
Is there any other potential reason that makes you want to transfer Unis, instead of waiting for the end of the degree, see how it gets, and then move out?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Are you still able to move out at the uni you are at right now because it seems like that will be the best option?. But also isn't it like this for everyone at the moment because of lockdown and stuff?, it might be better next year when societies etc start opening up again.

Original post by jenerous
Is there any other potential reason that makes you want to transfer Unis, instead of waiting for the end of the degree, see how it gets, and then move out?

As I said before, unfortunately I cant move out at the local uni im at just because it wont work for me. Also, the reasons why I want to move out i mentioned them in the long text above, but basically Im not enjoying my current uni at all, and I feel like im missing out many opportunities and experiences. Plus I've just had a time of self-discovery and Im at the moment very confused about what I believe in etc., and that's why my family can get a bit toxic and stuff, so i want to leave all that and have the opportunity to discover myself kinda think.
Have you considered saving up your maintainence loans & other income and then renting a room in a local houseshare or student only accomodation next year/ for final year?

Covid and all the uk pandemic restrictions have greatly altered the student experience for the 1st year undergrads of 2020 & 2021 who either couldn't move out or did move to student only accomodation but were unable to experience the typical uni independence & student living lifestyle.
Original post by londonmyst
Have you considered saving up your maintainence loans & other income and then renting a room in a local houseshare or student only accomodation next year/ for final year?

Covid and all the uk pandemic restrictions have greatly altered the student experience for the 1st year undergrads of 2020 & 2021 who either couldn't move out or did move to student only accomodation but were unable to experience the typical uni independence & student living lifestyle.

I second that I mean apart from 7 three-hour lab sessions over the entire academic year I pretty much stayed at home😂
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst

yeah I am saving up in case I move out. The only problem is I dont know if its worth moving out by transferring Universities or just staying in a couple years and then, move out. Most of the difficulty is because I want to be able to live independently from my parents to understand myself more as I have gone through a lot of changes this year. Maybe if it helps to give a bit of context, my family is very religious and I'm not so that's one of the main reasons why I now want to move out, plus the above mentioned.

And moving out locally wont work for me.
Reply 8
I second that I mean apart from 7 three-hour lab sessions over the entire academic year I pretty much stayed at home😂

were you in accommodation and did that change the experience at all?
You're paying for uni and you're the one has to do the work. So forget about your current uni being a Russel group one. Are you enjoying it? If not, then move! You can always do a MA in a Russel group one. Your independence and mental health are way more important than whether your uni is a Russel group one or not.
Reply 10
As I said before, unfortunately I cant move out at the local uni im at just because it wont work for me.

Why's that?
were you in accommodation and did that change the experience at all?

Yes but did not live in it very much because pretty much the entire academic year was lockdown. And even if I did live in accommodation for the entire year would have made no difference as the accommodation rules were so strict that I decided that I was better off staying at home (my rent was waivered too).
Original post by Kerzen
Why's that?

Well mainly because it just seems pointless to me. one of the reasons why i want to move out is for me to stay away from my family and everything familiar that I know, that includes where I've always lived in so the city in which the uni's at. then, there are other reasons as well, but yeah. That option wont work.
TL;DR: I'm in my first year and didn't move out, but now I regret it and want to, so should I transfer Uni that is much lower ranked than the current Russel Group I'm at? The option of moving out to the local Uni accommodation won't work, for various reasons.

Stay at the uni you are at but move out ... you could see if any hall places are available.
You're paying for uni and you're the one has to do the work. So forget about your current uni being a Russel group one. Are you enjoying it? If not, then move! You can always do a MA in a Russel group one. Your independence and mental health are way more important than whether your uni is a Russel group one or not.

yeah but what if my mental health gets worse if I move? like im not sure if I'll truly be happier or enjoy it more if i move out
Original post by Muttley79
Stay at the uni you are at but move out ... you could see if any hall places are available.

locally?
you could try moving into private student accommodation but go to the same uni, there's more likely to be more second years there.
locally?

Why not? You haven't really said why this isn't practical.

Which degree are you studying? The class of degree you get in more important than Russell Group ... you'll do better where you are happy.
Original post by absolutelysprout
you could try moving into private student accommodation but go to the same uni, there's more likely to be more second years there.

yes, but i dont and wont be able to move out locally. or do you mean moving out somewhere outside and still stay at the same local uni?
Original post by Muttley79
Why not? You haven't really said why this isn't practical.

Which degree are you studying? The class of degree you get in more important than Russell Group ... you'll do better where you are happy.

because it wouldnt go down well with my parents. it'd probably hurt them that i want to move out even though i can still remain at home because the uni is just like 30 mins away, and it doesnt seem fair or even practical to me. Like the whole purpose why I want to move out is to not be in the same place I am right now.

im doing applied psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest